Thread: Boot error

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Boot error

Hi all,

I get a error at boot. I have installed lubuntu 11.04 since when it was released and upgraded to something (really don't have a clue which version it was) but I suppose it should be 12.04 or something now...
    However last week and today again I get the
    Code:
    BOOT FAILURE, INSERT SYSTEM DISK AND PRESS ENTER
    error message.

Last week I could resolve it by inserting a win7 bootable installation disc. (however not a ubuntu live-cd, always received a 'no live-fs found' or something error)
    I didn't need to install win7 i just had to boot from it once and then it worked well again, but just for about a week...

I am really concerned about this because today even the win7 installation disc couldn't help me anymore. I have tried the ubuntu disk in my laptop and it worked very well, as well as the win7 disc, both boot without a problem. I also have configured the desktop bios to boot from cd-rom.

Could it be that my hdd is broken? I have run the lubuntu disk check and it said that my disc has a few bad sectors, however the resume was that my hdd is in good condition...

Tomorrow I will be getting all my data from the old hdd and then I'll have to see what I'm gonna do :/

Thanks for any help on how this error could be caused!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: Boot error

That looks more like a BIOS error than anything else.

Does BIOS still see hard drive?

From liveCD can you then see drive with Disk Tools and click on drive to see Smart Data?

A few BIOS primarily Intel motherboards need to see a boot flag on a primary partition. Windows has to have a boot flag, but grub does not use one. So those BIOS must think Windows. If you do not have a boot flag add one, it just needs to be a primary partition, grub will never use it.
    For info on UEFI boot install & repair - Updated Mar 2015:
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2147295
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to close thread when/if answered completely.

Beans
    Distro

First of all, thanks for your reply.

That looks more like a BIOS error than anything else.
    The interesting thing about this error is, that it just occurs as of now, and my lubuntu worked fine for more than a year already...

Does BIOS still see hard drive?
    Havent checked explicitly but I suppose.
    How can i see wether my hdd is detected? Because in the boot options i can only configure to boot from hdd0, not which device name this is. Or will I have to go to the boot device priority dialog? (if there is one in my bios, dont know)

From liveCD can you then see drive with Disk Tools and click on drive to see Smart Data?
    Nope, first of all I can't boot my live cd, only thing thats booting is my win7 cd
    second I tried check disk for errors and also the memtest thingy, both result in the (initramfs) commandline with the error 'can't find live fielsystem' or something like that

A few BIOS primarily Intel motherboards need to see a boot flag on a primary partition. Windows has to have a boot flag, but grub does not use one. So those BIOS must think Windows. If you do not have a boot flag add one, it just needs to be a primary partition, grub will never use it.
    I probably have a intel mb but not sure, furthermore it worked like a year and why should it suddenly stop working?

btw, when I had a grub boot-selection menu i also tried booting up older kernels, these didnt work either, same error.

Beans
    Distro

bump

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

When you go into BIOS it should show the hard drive. It usually is the model number.

This is example from my BIOS.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    For info on UEFI boot install & repair - Updated Mar 2015:
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2147295
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to close thread when/if answered completely.

Beans
    Distro

ok, ill have a look for my hdd there. thanks!