Thread: Ubuntu on Zotac Zbox?

Beans

Ubuntu on Zotac Zbox?

Regarding this thread: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1960414

I'm also looking into Zotec Zbox with ubuntu, it's been 8 months since the last post in this thread, wondering if anyone has news regarding this?

They have newer models now that look very interesting. Or anyone know another HTPC alternative?
    Last edited by papibe; February 26th, 2013 at 09:48 PM. Reason: moved to its own thread and created a reference to old one

Beans

Re: Ubuntu on Zotac Zbox?

I have Ubuntu 12.10 running on a ZBOX-ID80 with an Intel® Atom™ CPU D2700 @ 2.13GHz dual core with hyperthreading. It has 2GB of memory and a 320 GiB hard drive. This is a basic system (there is NO keyboard, NO mouse and No display - I have accumulated a lot of mice and KBs and an extra display over the years due to the virus laden, slow Microsoft machines I had been buying so I had spares). The system I described costs me $300-$25 (rebate) = $275. I bought it a Fry's in Illinois. It runs awesome and gives me a very small form factor PC that meets my needs. It fits nicely behind the display on my desk. I don't have to climb around under my desk and route cables. I simply can't recommend it enough. I just took the system out of the box and plugged in a CD RW drive with an Ubuntu 12.10 disk that I burned with my Dell mini 9 running Ubuntu 12.10 too. The ZBOX immediately found the 12.10 OS and installed without any issues. This is so much better than any windows machine (period!).

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by jwaclawsky View Post
    I have Ubuntu 12.10 running on a ZBOX-ID80 with an Intel® Atom™ CPU D2700 @ 2.13GHz dual core with hyperthreading. It has 2GB of memory and a 320 GiB hard drive. This is a basic system (there is NO keyboard, NO mouse and No display - I have accumulated a lot of mice and KBs and an extra display over the years due to the virus laden, slow Microsoft machines I had been buying so I had spares). The system I described costs me $300-$25 (rebate) = $275. I bought it a Fry's in Illinois. It runs awesome and gives me a very small form factor PC that meets my needs. It fits nicely behind the display on my desk. I don't have to climb around under my desk and route cables. I simply can't recommend it enough. I just took the system out of the box and plugged in a CD RW drive with an Ubuntu 12.10 disk that I burned with my Dell mini 9 running Ubuntu 12.10 too. The ZBOX immediately found the 12.10 OS and installed without any issues. This is so much better than any windows machine (period!).
    Nice! Good to hear? Any reason why you chose this model over others? Any model you know I should avoid when it comes to ubuntu? I'm looking to build one to attach my tv and download/stream with it.

Beans

I have had a Zbox HD-ID11 bought in Sept. 2010. I Originally installed Ubuntu 10.04, then added Lubuntu 11.04, Ubuntu 11.10, and finally Lubuntu 12.10. All these work -even the Unity. With an Atom D510 processor and NVidia ION graphics, Atom is fine for general computing - nothing intensive. It will play HD video, but will really warm up in the process. The wireless card reception is weak on this model and probably the ones that look like it. Mine is used with ethernet. A common observation on these is that they run a bit warm, but I find it seems to stay within operating limits of the components. I have not had any problems with this little machine, which is used in the bedroom. I don't think this particular model is sold anymore. Several similar ones, however are around, like in the previous answer (Zbox-ID80).

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I ordered a ZBOX ID41-U bare bones and dropped 2GB and a 250GB HDD in it as a test for a Mythbuntu frontend. I was a little leery at first, but it works great, even at HD, scaling to odd monitor sizes. Runs pretty cool. I chose this model as it has an NVidia card which allows hardware acceleration via VDPAU; it would probably do OK in a full 3D desktop also.

You can purchase them with the memory and hard drive installed.

WiFi is a bit weak as some posted, compared to a Mac Mini.. But you can buy three of these for that price, and depending on your needs this might cut it. If you are planning on gaming or video editing, stay away.. The Atom isn't meant for that. To do general tasks, it should work well.

I ended up buying three more for "TV everywhere" front ends, and one might run Windows for that one or two things I need Windows for.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

I got a Raspberry Pi (Model B). I'm very pleased with it. It plays full 1080p h264 playback. My TV supports DTS, so I don't suffer from the weakest link (no current hardware acceleration for decoding DTS).

Another alternative that I would consider is this: Pivos XIOS (because it is XBMC certified, read here).

Regards.

Beans

An update: I am really pleased with the Z-box-ID80 I bought a few months ago (which I posted earlier). So I just bought another Zotac box. I got a the Model: Z-box-ID83-Plus. It has an Intel i3-3120M @ 2.5 Ghz with 500GB drive and 4GB memory with 802.11n and Bluetooth 4.0 (you can get a nice overview at: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KqbL5MttdvU). I have Ubuntu 13.04 installed for several weeks now and it runs flawlessly. I am very impressed. Ubuntu installation was simple (non of that secure boot nonsense from microsoft). This machine is for my wife to use as her everyday PC. She is not technical but she seems to be able to find her way around Ubuntu easier than her Windows 7 machine. Most importantly she is pleased, which is no easy feat. We are on our way to becoming a microsoft-free family

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

I have a Zbox and put Xubuntu on it, it works great .......