Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast

Thread: Linus Torvalds: I will not change Linux to “****-****** Microsoft”

Beans

Re: Linus Torvalds: I will not change Linux to “****-****** Microsoft”

Quote Originally Posted by nikonian View Post
    With all respect, I feel many Linux users are blinded by their demands for "freedom" of the hardware. Computers are manufactured specifically to use Windows or Mac OS X; if there was a demand for Linux PCs, they would make them, and they don't - doesn't that tell you something?

You can approach this debate from any angle you want to push your agenda, but the fact is simple; most people DO NOT CARE about Linux, and why would the hardware manufacturers spend money - LOTS of it - just to keep a tiny minority happy?

Wake up Linux.
    If I buy a computer, I want to do with it as I please. This is why I do not support Apple and why I will not support vendors who lock their hardware to correspond with Microsoft's ridiculous boot loader requirements.

Candid side note: Your stance is rather illogical and irritating on many levels.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Roasted View Post
    If I buy a computer, I want to do with it as I please. This is why I do not support Apple and why I will not support vendors who lock their hardware to correspond with Microsoft's ridiculous boot loader requirements.

Candid side note: Your stance is rather illogical and irritating on many levels.
    Passive aggression doesn't help much.

I don't think Apple or Microsoft or anyone else will lose a picosecond of sleep over whether you will or won't "support" them, in a protest of non-purchase; they have MANY MANY more who will, that is the POINT here.

Maybe it is mindsets like this that have prevented Linux from moving any further into mass adoption; too much self-entitlement and faux "protests" that are basically arrogance, foot stamping and tunnel vision. If you do not like how computers are made, why not give them up? Noone cares, with due respect - it's not a moral issue, it's a geeky, willfully pedantic one, and the majority of the world are blissfully ignorant of this ghastly aspect of computing!
    Last edited by nikonian; February 27th, 2013 at 11:42 PM.

Beans

Passive aggression doesn't help much.

I don't think Apple or Microsoft or anyone else will lose a picosecond of sleep over whether you will or won't "support" them, in a protest of non-purchase; they have MANY MANY more who will, that is the POINT here.

Maybe it is mindsets like this that have prevented Linux from moving any further into mass adoption; too much self-entitlement and faux "protests" that are basically arrogance, foot stamping and tunnel vision. If you do not like how computers are made, why not give them up? Noone cares, with due respect - it's not a moral issue, it's a geeky, willfully pedantic one, and the majority of the world are blissfully ignorant of this ghastly aspect of computing!
    I don't understand the relevance of your posts. Do you actually have a stance on the issue Linus and Garrett have brought up, or are you just being sanctimonious?

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

I have jailed a post from the thread.

Everybody, please stay on topic and take care only to post contents of value to the reader. Post in a manner that provides people insight and widens their view.
    Bringing old hardware back to life. About problems due to upgrading.
    Please visit Quick Links -> Unanswered Posts.
    Don't use this space for a list of your hardware. It only creates false hits in the search engines.

Beans

I know I'm a small blip on the radar, but when I purchase hardware, I purchase hardware that I know will work with my operating system of choice. If *insert-company-here* chooses to lock out alternative operating systems, I won't support them. I know my lack of support for their gear won't put them out of business, but that's not my goal. My goal is to support the companies out there that deserve it. A company that supports only Microsoft 100% of the way is not an organization I want to be associated with in the slightest.
    Derp derp.

In other news, am I understanding correctly that if Linux *would* do this, they would have to dish out some cash to Microsoft? Would this in theory be a cost per license, or simply one flat charge for a single key to boot an infinite number of distros?

Beans

In other news, am I understanding correctly that if Linux *would* do this, they would have to dish out some cash to Microsoft? Would this in theory be a cost per license, or simply one flat charge for a single key to boot an infinite number of distros?
    Source for why you think this is the case? I think that can't be true.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Unhappy Re: Linus Torvalds: I will not change Linux to “****-****** Microsoft”

Quote Originally Posted by MadmanRB View Post
    Thusd is the issue, we should not bow down to microsoft, linux is a competitor not a lap dog.
    There should be a antitrust lawsuit here,
    I agree. I've said the same thing since the whole monstrosity started.

Why do so few people see the elephant in the room?
    That being said, all future machines I purchase will be from a Linux vendor like Zareason.
    Last edited by Linuxratty; February 28th, 2013 at 03:52 AM.
    A friendly & helpful Linux community who has started a large cursor theme project. If you are sick of tiny cursors, go here and get one.
    http://linuxinternationals.org/forum...orum.php?f=166

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by JDShu View Post
    Source for why you think this is the case? I think that can't be true.
    I don't have a source. It was just online discussion with other users. Some people seem to be under different interpretations of exactly what this would entail if Linux would go for it.

Beans

I don't have a source. It was just online discussion with other users. Some people seem to be under different interpretations of exactly what this would entail if Linux would go for it.
    Ah ok, in that case they are wrong. For one, there is no way Microsoft could enforce such a cost unless they sue with a patent that they own. Copyright law definitely doesn't apply as the code that would be merged is written by Red Hat.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by mikewhatever View Post
    IMHO, these rants by Linus are an embarrassment. Can't he express his thoughts without swearing like a drunk sailor? Looks like the man is bored to death, so he writes obscene emails to insult people.
    I totally agree. *Anger Issues* *Anger Issues*
    CrunchBang Linux
    Plz no tpe lik dis or no anser!!
    The search tool can be found in the upper right corner of your screen, please use it to your advantage, especially before asking questions.

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast