Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 13

Thread: automatically starting program

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Beans
    50

    automatically starting program

    Hi,
    evince starts automatically still I used it at first time, but I want to do not.
    I tried to edit it from main menu -> Settings -> Session -> Automatically starting applications, but there is no evince. (The path is translated, so it may be different in English version of Xfce - I hope it is understandable.)

    Where can I stop these applications in Xfce and where in command line?
    Thanks in advance,
    m

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Halloween Town
    Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu Development Release

    Re: automatically starting program

    Start the xfce4-autostart-editor and remove the application(s).
    You can also manually delete those files in ~/Desktop/Autostart and ~/.config/autostart.

    Most of the time closing all the applications and saving your session when you logout is sufficient. If this doesn't work, remove the content of the ~/.cache/sessions/ folder when you're not logged in. And if you don't want xfce remember every session you should turn off (uncheck) “Automatically save session on logout” in Settings Manager → Sessions and Startup (tab General).

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Beans
    50

    Re: automatically starting program

    Quote Originally Posted by slickymaster View Post
    Start the xfce4-autostart-editor and remove the application(s).
    You can also manually delete those files in ~/Desktop/Autostart and ~/.config/autostart.
    There is no application like xfce4-au* in command line and package list and ~/Desktop/Autostart, ~/.config/autostart are also missing.

    Quote Originally Posted by slickymaster View Post
    Most of the time closing all the applications and saving your session when you logout is sufficient. If this doesn't work, remove the content of the ~/.cache/sessions/ folder when you're not logged in. And if you don't want xfce remember every session you should turn off (uncheck) “Automatically save session on logout” in Settings Manager → Sessions and Startup (tab General).
    I've checked before and set - same.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Halloween Town
    Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu Development Release

    Re: automatically starting program

    Quote Originally Posted by madnbri View Post
    There is no application like xfce4-au* in command line and package list and ~/Desktop/Autostart, ~/.config/autostart are also missing.
    Yes there is. See this and this.
    Last edited by slickymaster; February 27th, 2013 at 11:59 AM.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Beans
    50

    Re: automatically starting program

    Quote Originally Posted by slickymaster View Post
    Yes there is. See this and this.
    No, there isn't. See this:
    Code:
    me@mycomp:~$ sudo apt-get install xfce4-autostart-editor
    Reading package list… Ready0%
    Building dependence tree       
    Reading status information… Ready
    E: This package cannot be found: xfce4-autostart-editor

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Halloween Town
    Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu Development Release

    Re: automatically starting program

    You're right. Xfce4-autostart-editor has been integrated in xfce4-session-settings since Xfce 4.6.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Toronto, Canada
    Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

    Re: automatically starting program

    Quote Originally Posted by slickymaster View Post
    If this doesn't work, remove the content of the ~/.cache/sessions/ folder when you're not logged in.
    Have you tried this? It sounds like evince is saved in the cached sessions.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Halloween Town
    Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu Development Release

    Re: automatically starting program

    Quote Originally Posted by Toz View Post
    Have you tried this? It sounds like evince is saved in the cached sessions.
    Yes, I had a similar problem but with Chrome, every time I logged into my account, Chrome would automatically launch itself.

    After a lot of fiddling with no success I come upon Xfce wiki web page where they mention the fact that there are two possible reasons why applications are always started at login. Quoting:
    It is saved in the last session or it is listed in the auto started applications.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Beans
    50

    Re: automatically starting program

    Quote Originally Posted by Toz View Post
    Have you tried this? It sounds like evince is saved in the cached sessions.
    Yes, but these files don't exist. Where can I found session data?

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Halloween Town
    Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu Development Release

    Re: automatically starting program

    Quote Originally Posted by madnbri View Post
    Yes, but these files don't exist. Where can I found session data?
    The xfce4-session program starts up the Xfce Desktop Environment and is typically executed by your login manager. It will load your last session or a default session that includes the standard Xfce programs if no saved session is available.

    xfce4-session uses the contents of the ~/.cache/sessions/ directory for starting previously saved sessions and reads its configuration from the file $XDG_CONFIG_DIRS/xfce4-session/xfce4-session.rc.

    xfce4-session stores its session data into $XDG_CACHE_HOME/sessions/.

    All the information is available in the Xfce Docs.
    Last edited by slickymaster; February 27th, 2013 at 07:22 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •