Thread: Flashing Screen after boot menu on Old PC

Beans

Flashing Screen after boot menu on Old PC

So, I just installed lubuntu on my friend's old HP 8500 Pentium 3 450Mhz/256MB Ram and I'm having an issue. I selemct Ubuntu from the GRUB boot menu, and it begins the load screen. After this it begins flashing a black screen with the following things on it:

*Checking battery state... [OK]
    *Stopping System V runlevel compatibility [OK]
    *Starting [OK]

It never gets past this point. I'm pretty savvy logistically, but I don't know programming or hardware lingo very well. I should be able to figure out anything procedurally, but I won't be able to work with obscure reference points or extremely technical language. This is my first time working with Linux.

I'm doing this for a friend before I leave town tomorrow morning, so any quick answers or hypotheses would be super great so I can try to work it out tonight.

Thank you all for your help in advance

-Eric

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Re: Flashing Screen after boot menu on Old PC

Can you boot into the rescue terminal? It's in the GRUB menu that shows up right after the BIOS does it's RAM check. Your machine barely has enough horsepower to run Ubuntu. You would be better off running Lubuntu or Linux Mint MATE 32-bit. It's possible that your processor does not support PAE--physical address extension, needed for the latest versions of Ubuntu. If this is the case, then you would have to go back to an earlier version or find a distro that does not rely on PAE such as Puppy Linux. You also need a swap partition (1 GB at least) because 256MB of RAM will run slooooow.
    -------------------------------------
    Oooh Shiny: PopularPages

Unumquodque potest reparantur. Patientia sit virtus.

Beans

The issue is with lubuntu. If that is still too intensive a system, I suppose I should move on to Puppy Linux. I don't know if I can get it on before I leave, but hopefully I can walk my friend through it. Thanks.

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

It's very unfortunate that the PAE ghost is still popping its head up. Seems like a catch-all for any given hardware problem.

There's no PAE problem here, as all Pentium 3's support PAE. In fact it's supported all the way from Pentium Pro except a certain branch of Pentium M.

The problem here is lack of memory. You might be able to install using an alternate Lubuntu ISO, but the system will not be a pleasure to use.
    Last edited by mörgæs; March 3rd, 2013 at 10:35 AM.
    About problems due to upgrading
    Bringing old hardware back to life.
    Please visit Quick Links -> Unanswered Posts