Thread: Virtualbox install broken (12.04.2 x86)

Threaded View

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Virtualbox install broken (12.04.2 x86)

This must be the umpteenth thread on this topic, but none of the "fixes" posted elsewhere have worked.

I need to create a virtualized Windows XP machine on my new Ubuntu 12.04.2 install (not *totally* new, I have all updates as of this writing), but I can't get it to work. The installation (through Software Center) always generates an error message with a non-working "fake" Virtualbox install.

During installation, I get an error dialog which says in part:
    Sorry, a problem occurred while installing software. Package: virtualbox-dkms
    If I click "Details" it says the problem is "virtualbox kernel module failed to build."

Here's the error dialog I get when attempting to start up a virtual machine in the non-working Virtualbox install:

Kernel driver not installed (rc=-1908)

The VirtualBox Linux kernel driver (vboxdrv) is either not loaded or there is a permission problem with /dev/vboxdrv. Please reinstall the kernel module by executing

'/etc/init.d/vboxdrv setup'

as root. If it is available in your distribution, you should install the DKMS package first. This package keeps track of Linux kernel changes and recompiles the vboxdrv kernel module if necessary.
    Executing that command as instructed does not fix the problem, and I do have the DKMS package installed before I install Virtualbox.

Simultaneously, I get another error dialog stating:
    Failed to open a session for the virtual machine XP In Linux (x86).

The virtual machine 'XP In Linux (x86)' has terminated unexpectedly during startup with exit code 1.

Result Code: NS_ERROR_FAILURE (0x80004005)
    Component: Machine
    Interface: IMachine {5eaa9319-62fc-4b0a-843c-0cb1940f8a91}
    Details:
    Result Code:
    NS_ERROR_FAILURE (0x80004005)
    Component:
    Machine
    Interface:
    IMachine {5eaa9319-62fc-4b0a-843c-0cb1940f8a91}
    I also have the generic kernel headers installed, so I have no idea how to fix this. I have reinstalled dkms as well. Still have the problem noted.

The system is a Samsung Series 3 notebook (model NP300-V5A-A02US), which I dual-boot with Windows 7 Home Premium. Under Windows 7, I have no trouble whatsoever using Virtualbox.
    Last edited by Objekt; February 26th, 2013 at 03:33 PM.
    Acer Swift 3 (SF314-42-R7LH)