Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ubuntu and other distros slow or wont boot on Usb drive larger than 4gb

Beans

Re: Ubuntu and other distros slow or wont boot on Usb drive larger than 4gb

Hi all !!! Been busy so have not had time to fuss with this BUT !!!! I installed 12.04 LTS on my sandisk 4 gig with persistantce and it works flawlessly !!??!!

So.... The only thing I can think of as what is going on are these issues.

1) 16/32 gig pen drives are flakey with runnning os on them.

2) Linux doen not like PNY or kingston.

When I have time im going to pick up a 8 and 16 gig sandisk and see what happens with them. ALL times i tried, I only used 2gig for persistance and the darn 16 and 32 gig sticks just sucked they were so slow. And keep in mind I treid all differnt distros, and small ones with either slowness or errors. Also tried other computers as well. Would really love to know if there is anybody out there with the same issues. Thanks again !! Chris

I also tried a FULL install with slow slow results as well.

Typing this using 12.04 on the 4 gig sandisk

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by italianman View Post
    Hi all !!! Been busy so have not had time to fuss with this BUT !!!! I installed 12.04 LTS on my sandisk 4 gig with persistantce and it works flawlessly !!??!!

So.... The only thing I can think of as what is going on are these issues.

1) 16/32 gig pen drives are flakey with runnning os on them.
    Do you mean very slow or errors? Please specify what problems you have!

I think that speed makes a difference, and I have seen no disadvantage with larger drives (I have 1, 4 and 16 GB drives).

You need to let the slow USB interface finish writing before you pull the pendrive. Otherwise you will get file system errors or at least incompletely written files. You can type sync in a terminal window and wait until it returns to prompt.
    2) Linux doen not like PNY or kingston.
    Can't they be read/written for data? Or do you mean that linux will not boot from them?
    When I have time im going to pick up a 8 and 16 gig sandisk and see what happens with them. ALL times i tried, I only used 2gig for persistance and the darn 16 and 32 gig sticks just sucked they were so slow. And keep in mind I treid all differnt distros, and small ones with either slowness or errors. Also tried other computers as well. Would really love to know if there is anybody out there with the same issues. Thanks again !! Chris
    Remember to check that they are fast: select USB 3 pendrives if possible, but also USB 2 pendrive have different read and write speed.

If you have a FAT 32 file system, the maximum size of a casper-rw file for persistence is 4 GB. But Ubuntu will recognize a casper-rw partition. So you can make a 1 GB FAT 32 partition for the operating system and a big partition (the rest of the drive) and set its label to 'casper-rw' and format it to the ext4 file system.

An installed system will be more stable than a persistent system, and it can be updated without limits, while the kernel cannot be upgraded in a persistent system. A persistent system may boot faster and a live system without persistence will be the fastest.
    I also tried a FULL install with slow slow results as well.

Typing this using 12.04 on the 4 gig sandisk
    I am happy with an installed Lubuntu system on my USB 3 drive, but maybe you should try Knoppix, which is made to run live or persistent live? That might be the best solution for you.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Often with a USB flash drive, you also need the settings similar to a SSD to reduce writes. Flash drive just do not support trim.

With SSD or Flash drives, Use ext4 without journal:
    sudo tune2fs -O ^has_journal /dev/sda1
    sudo tune2fs -o discard /dev/sda1
    No swap or set swapiness or install 'Dynamic Swap Space Manager' from the Ubuntu Software Center
    After installing, change the fstab so that everything gets mounted with noatime.

Several of my older USB2 flash drives are Kingston and I have had no issues with them. Most of my flash drives are Microcenters house brand. My issue is Microcenter has a store nearby and just about every time I am there I add another flash drive to my inventory. They keep getting lower in cost so I think I am getting a bargain.
    For info on UEFI boot install & repair:
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2147295
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to close thread when/if answered completely.

Beans

Well I just purchased a 32g Sandisk from wally world. and 1...2...3... I did a full install on it and it works perfectly. SOOO the Kingston 16G and the PNY 16G must have sucked !! Unity is runnning ok, but I always change up LXDE to my liking, and use that. This thing flies now !! I tried it on my old Dell Pent 4 with a gig of ram, and it is really fast on their as well.

The Kingston and PNY were so slow it wouldn't even work. I installed EXACTLY the same on the 32G Sandisk and all is well

Still curios if anybody has used these two with trouble.

For the record, here are the two USB sticks that were a nightmare.

Kingston Champagne Data Traveler SE9 16GB Flash Drive

http://www.officemax.com/technology/...66169&ssp=true

PNY Compact Attache 16GB Flash Drive

http://www.officemax.com/technology/...53555&ssp=true
    Last edited by italianman; March 28th, 2013 at 05:30 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Thanks for the update.

I have had good luck with older standard Kingston, but primary just buy Microcenter. They now have USB3 that may work a bit better even with USB2 ports.
    For info on UEFI boot install & repair:
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2147295
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to close thread when/if answered completely.

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by italianman View Post
    Well I just purchased a 32g Sandisk from wally world. and 1...2...3... I did a full install on it and it works perfectly ...
    Congratulations

Beans

I wanted to say THANK YOU !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! for all the help you people have given me. So glad there still is a thing called freedom, and generosity, and its called Linux I will mark as solved. Sincerely, Chris K

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12