Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: Inherited computer with ubuntu, help please!

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Beans
    3

    Inherited computer with ubuntu, help please!

    Hello, as this is my first thread, I would like to introduce myself a little bit. My name is Aaron and I am 16. I am fairly decent with computers, been tinkering with everything I could since I was 12. I know basic computer programming and am pretty well the person people in my family come to when they have a problem with electronics.

    Recently, I received a desktop computer from my mom's friend (her son went off to college) and it has ubuntu 10.10 on it. I have never dealt with ubuntu and see this as a possible learning experience for me. The only thing I have successfully done with this computer is remove the old keyring and connect to my wi-fi.
    The main problem I wish to deal with is the update manager. I cannot update this computer at all whatsoever. I would like to get the newest version so I can have proper support, but I constantly get an error in the middle of the install that says something about my network connection being bad. I know this is false because, well, I'm on it right now posting this thread.

    I would appreciate any help and hope to find this a welcoming community. Thank you.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

    Re: Inherited computer with ubuntu, help please!

    10.10 is no longer supported - reached EOL in 04.2012. That means, there had been no updates since then, and, in fact, the software repositories (where updates come from) had been removed.
    I'd advise downloading a supported release (12.04 recommended) from ubuntu.com and reinstalling.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Mystletainn Kick!
    Beans
    5,276
    Distro
    Ubuntu

    Re: Inherited computer with ubuntu, help please!

    Assuming that you've downloaded the latest release (either 12.04LTS, or 12.10) as you've stated that the install borks.
    Now, how much about the PC do you know?
    What wifi adapter does it use?
    What graphics card does it use?
    CPU?
    RAM?

    Any information you can provide will be of use.
    Splat Double Splat Triple Splat
    Earn Your Keep
    Don't mind me, I'm only passing through.
    Once in a blue moon, I'm actually helpful
    .

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Beans
    3

    Re: Inherited computer with ubuntu, help please!

    Quote Originally Posted by mikewhatever View Post
    10.10 is no longer supported - reached EOL in 04.2012. That means, there had been no updates since then, and, in fact, the software repositories (where updates come from) had been removed.
    I'd advise downloading a supported release (12.04 recommended) from ubuntu.com and reinstalling.
    Well, I went to the website and read the guide (https://help.ubuntu.com/community/NattyUpgrades) and I continue to get an error message, "Requires installation of untrusted packages" and then the update manager just stops.


    Quote Originally Posted by deadflowr View Post
    Assuming that you've downloaded the latest release (either 12.04LTS, or 12.10) as you've stated that the install borks.
    Now, how much about the PC do you know?
    What wifi adapter does it use?
    What graphics card does it use?
    CPU?
    RAM?

    Any information you can provide will be of use.
    Allright, I know a few things
    wifi adapter: netgear WG311v3
    processor: pentium 4 3.9 GHZ clock speed.
    gfx card: unknown
    RAM: unknown
    I could check the bios if needed for any info that I can get from it.
    Last edited by Eggs N Eggs; February 26th, 2013 at 05:33 AM. Reason: add more info to post

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Mystletainn Kick!
    Beans
    5,276
    Distro
    Ubuntu

    Re: Inherited computer with ubuntu, help please!

    Quote Originally Posted by Eggs N Eggs View Post
    Well, I went to the website and read the guide (https://help.ubuntu.com/community/NattyUpgrades) and I continue to get an error message, "Requires installation of untrusted packages" and then the update manager just stops.
    Go here and get a fresh copy:

    http://www.ubuntu.com/download/desktop

    Personally, I'd recommend 12.04 for the longer support period and rock solid stability.
    You'll be asked to donate, but it isn't mandatory, you can skip it.

    Also preview the page I linked for tips on burning to DVD or USB.

    At this point upgrading straight with a fresh install is much safer than trying to upgrade from one release to another to another to another.
    Splat Double Splat Triple Splat
    Earn Your Keep
    Don't mind me, I'm only passing through.
    Once in a blue moon, I'm actually helpful
    .

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Beans
    3

    Re: Inherited computer with ubuntu, help please!

    Quote Originally Posted by deadflowr View Post
    Go here and get a fresh copy:

    http://www.ubuntu.com/download/desktop

    Personally, I'd recommend 12.04 for the longer support period and rock solid stability.
    You'll be asked to donate, but it isn't mandatory, you can skip it.

    Also preview the page I linked for tips on burning to DVD or USB.

    At this point upgrading straight with a fresh install is much safer than trying to upgrade from one release to another to another to another.
    Actually, I already downloaded on my other computer and burned it to a disc right here. I had a feeling that's what it would come to, but I avoided it because I didn't want to deal with installing drivers for the wifi adapter and such, but I suppose that is something I will have to learn eventually anyway. If I could get help with that it would be great. I already searched up how to do it and it says that I need specific files to install the windows drivers. I downloaded these but ubuntu is so foreign to me that I can't even follow the instructions properly.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Western Australia
    Beans
    11,480
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

    Re: Inherited computer with ubuntu, help please!

    Ubuntu already contains wireless drivers. It's improbable you would need to install any on Ubuntu 12.04 or 12.10.
    I try to treat the cause, not the symptom. I avoid the terminal in instructions, unless it's easier or necessary. My instructions will work within the Ubuntu system, instead of breaking or subverting it. Those are the three guarantees to the helpee.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    /dev/root
    Beans
    Hidden!

    Re: Inherited computer with ubuntu, help please!

    I suggest that you download a flavour of Ubuntu with a light desktop environment, that will run smoother with a Pentium 4 cpu than standard 'vanilla' Ubuntu.

    - Xubuntu 12.04 LTS, supported until April 2015, with the light-weight desktop environment XFCE
    - Lubuntu 12.10, supported until April 2014, with the ultra light-weight desktop environment LXDE

    With some computers you need to add boot options to get it running. As long as you have that old Ubuntu 10.10, you can check if it is run with boot options.

    Code:
    less /etc/default/grub
    and look for a line similar to this one
    Code:
    GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash"
    If the boot option nomodeset is used, it could look like this
    Code:
    GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash nomodeset"
    --
    Anyway, I recommend that you try to run your Ubuntu flavour live, which means that you boot from a CD or USB drive, and do not install, at least not at once. Instead test how it works, and compare different flavours of Ubuntu. Finally, when you know how it works, you can decide what you want and install it to the internal drive.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

    Re: Inherited computer with ubuntu, help please!

    also command

    Code:
     
    lshw
    in terminal will list all your hardware taht computer can recognise. you can copy the stuff from terminal it and paste it here.

    i second the Xubuntu idea. Ubuntu 12.04 is totally different. to get similar one you would need to install gnome panel. also you can use Unity 2D in version 12.04 which shoul dbe less resource hungry.
    default Unity 3D desktop needs good hardware acceleration (good graphics card) and takes quite a bit of ram).

    Xubuntu 12.04 looks and acts preety much like the 10.10 you have now.
    Easy to understand Ubuntu manual with lots of pics: http://ubuntu-manual.org/
    Do i need antivirus/firewall in linux?
    User friendly disk backup: Redobackup

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Beans
    7,197

    Re: Inherited computer with ubuntu, help please!

    Quote Originally Posted by Eggs N Eggs View Post
    Hello, as this is my first thread, I would like to introduce myself a little bit. My name is Aaron and I am 16. I am fairly decent with computers, been tinkering with everything I could since I was 12. I know basic computer programming and am pretty well the person people in my family come to when they have a problem with electronics.
    Welcome to Ubuntu!
    You think that's air you're breathing now?

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •