Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Auto set domain with dnsmasq

Beans

Re: Auto set domain with dnsmasq

The domain-search function applies a preset domain or domains to the end of hostnames to create a fully-qualified domain name. So if you had "search example.com" in resolv.conf, then typed the command "ping freddy", the resolver would append "example.com" to "freddy" then look up the IP address for "freddy.example.com". I don't see how that would have any relationship to the problems you're having.
    If you ask for help, do not abandon your request. Please have the courtesy to check for responses and thank the people who helped you.

Blog · Linode System Administration Guides · Android Apps for Ubuntu Users

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Are there other files that affect how DNS is resolved? As I mentioned in my first post, the working configuration when connected to DD-WRT has these resolv.conf contents:
    Code:
    nameserver 127.0.0.1 search [domain]
    If the "search" line only has to do with what domain name to append to unqualified host names, it would seem that this configuration file does not provide enough information for correct DNS operation. Is this correct? If this is the case, why does it work? Is there another configuration file that plays into this?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Hmm. Well I cannot figure out what I have changed, but it seems to be working now. I am extremely confused, but the laptop's DNS is clearly working, so I guess my problem is solved for now. I will post again if I can reproduce the problem again. Thank you for all your help SeijiSensei. Does this forum have a thanks button or something?

Also btw, I discovered that apparently that resolv.conf is not being used (or something) and DNS can be looked up with "nmcli dev list iface eth0 | grep IP4"
    Last edited by ksteuber; March 11th, 2013 at 09:18 AM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12