Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Why is Ubuntu so good at just... working?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Why is Ubuntu so good at just... working?

Quote Originally Posted by ShadowGuardian View Post
    ...Ubuntu (Canonical) relies on donations and such...
    Canonical is a corporation selling services and technical support. That's much the same line of business that Red Hat and Suse are in.

Beans

Ubuntu works with Black Magic and the Departed Souls Of The Innocent (tm.)

Nah, just kidding. :3

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by iamkuriouspurpleoranj View Post
    Yeah - also had a headache with drivers reinstalling Windows without the recovery partition. I think everyone should have to do this at least once. Then they would understand how we get a very good deal with Linux.

As for Slackware and Arch teaching you about Linux: maybe that's true. On the other hand, I don't see why working your way from cover to cover of an Ubuntu, Fedora or OpenSUSE manual wouldn't also teach you a lot about Linux.

My big fear with Arch is screw-ups/vulnerabilities that I can't see. I can tell if I've not configured sound or wireless correctly because these are easy to check but other more internal aspects, how would I know? I'll wait a couple of years first... while my Gentoo kernel compiles :-/

PS. I do want to learn Slackware and Gentoo but I'm really not ready for them yet. Just like I'm not ready for FreeBSD. I'm almost ready for Arch but something in me says "no, proceed straight to Slackware/Gentoo".
    The beauty of arch is that it gives you the exact system you want without really having to understand all of it right away. Arch spells out everything so clearly that even I can understand most of it. I went straight from Ubuntu to Arch and as long as you are able to use common sense and read for comprehension then you'll be fine. I just don't see the point in Gentoo since it's basically Arch but with compiling everything. Personally I'd rather give up the little speed advantage that Gentoo may have for the convenience of using binaries. What you save a few milliseconds here and there but on the other hand you leave your pc on overnight to compile everything and hope something doesn't go wrong in the process? No thank you. I'm all for learning linux and stuff but you have to draw a line in the sand somewhere. Personally my time with arch has taught me skills that will be useful no matter what distro I use in the future. Will I use it again as my primary distro again anytime soon? Probably not. As long as a distro comes with a pretty close to stock xfce setup and isn't noticeably sluggish I'm fine nowadays.
    Whoever came up with the phrase "There is no such thing as a stupid question" obviously never had the internet.

Beans

It's always fun to play around in Linux, I first began to use Fedora, and I really liked it, especially after Windows failing on me. Then, I heard about Ubuntu, and decided to try it. I did a live CD and was surprised to find lots of applications pre-installed, for I had to install lots of applications in order for Fedora to be functional for me. I have gone through a lot of distros, most of them ubuntu based, and have found that the original Ubuntu is much better than many others.
    CrunchBang Linux
    Plz no tpe lik dis or no anser!!
    The search tool can be found in the upper right corner of your screen, please use it to your advantage, especially before asking questions.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Ubuntu just worked its magic again... I thought i was in dependency hell, Synaptic was wagging its little fists at me, then I resigned myself, burned Precise on to a fresh USB stick and rebooted a couple of times, tried one last apt-get install -f ... and presto, it worked!
    This kind of little excitements keeps me going hahaha... I've been taking "Way too much Ubuntu" but it works wonders!
    Ubuntu Manual - Good Tutorials
    Webupd8 - Cinnamon! - Synapse
    Some just want to watch the world LEARN

Beans

Nice FOSS vs Hardware thread.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123