Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

Thread: Update manager issues

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: Update manager issues

Hi

Honestly after all the troubles you have had, backup and reinstall.

You're very unlikely to get this fixed via forum help. You'll need someone at your computer to actually see what is going on without the issue of time zones, miscommunication and lack of immediacy.

Upgrades are never guaranteed to be 100% successful and as you had problems before that may have exacerbated the upgrade process and you still have problems then ......

Kind regards
    If you believe everything you read, you better not read. ~ Japanese Proverb

If you don't read the newspaper, you're uninformed. If you read the newspaper, you're mis-informed. - Mark Twain

Thinking about becoming an Ubuntu Member?

Beans

Matt_Symes,

Yes, you were right. We had reached the stage where a re-install was appropriate. Fortunately, prior to the crash of the update to 12.10 I had done a complete back-up of my system. I did a live cd to re-install 12.04 and it went very well. I'm now up and running with the new installation and have wireless and e-mail operating. This is coming to you from the new 12.04 install. Update Manager worked very well last night. After installing the new system there were 527 updates waiting to be installed. That took about 30 minutes, but they all worked and now I am up to date with an operative "Update Manager" program working again.

I don't believe we should list this as an issue that was "solved" (because it really never was) but the original issue is no longer valid and should be closed out. One last question for you. Can I selectively restore my backed up files? There are some I would not restore if I had a way to do that. I have an operating system, so am in no hurry to get everything restored from my previous back-up.

I owe you for your help. You were the only one that stuck with me when the problem got tough and we were running out of ideas about what to do. Thanks very much. Haven't been to the UK for several years, but flew an Eclipse 500 twin jet from Geneva,Sw. to Oxford airport near London a few years back. Spent two weeks there doing demo flights. The Pub crawling was great!

Thanks again for your assistance!

donaldt

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Hi

It's not very often i suggest a reinstall, but in this case i think it was the best option; especially as this issue had been going on for a month.

I am sure the problem was fixable without a reinstallation, however there did not seem to be a major pattern to the problem apart from the fact update manager was hanging.

Getting the information to fix it may have been tough and as was stated we don't use update manager. Not a great help for you there

Can I selectively restore my backed up files?
    How did you backup your files ?

I'm also glad you enjoyed your stay in England

Kind regards
    Last edited by matt_symes; March 27th, 2013 at 05:04 PM.
    If you believe everything you read, you better not read. ~ Japanese Proverb

If you don't read the newspaper, you're uninformed. If you read the newspaper, you're mis-informed. - Mark Twain

Thinking about becoming an Ubuntu Member?

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789