Thread: Boots only through recovery mode

Beans

Red face Boots only through recovery mode

Every time I want to use Ubuntu I can only boot through the Recovery Mode option and this is fine for a temporary fix but I want to learn how to fix the start up so that I wont have to do this anymore. If I don't go through the Recovery Mode then there is a purplish screen then it goes black and you hear the bongo login sound.

Here is how I start it up to get to the login screen where I can see it.
    1. Power on Dual Boot (windows 7 or Ubuntu)
    2. Select Ubuntu and hold shift while there is still writing on the screen
    3. Grub screen come up and I select Ubuntu with linux 3.2.0-38 generic (Recovery Mode)
    4. Select Resume - Resume Normal Boot
    5. Accept that I will be leaving recovery mode
    6. Log in screen pops up.

What could be causing this and what will I have to do to fix it?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Re: Boots only through recovery mode

Sounds like a video card driver problem. Do you know what video card you have?

I don't know off the top of my head what command line you could run, but I do know that the program called hardinfo will tell you what you need to know, once installed.
    "- Courage! It couldn't come at a worse time." | Favorite Hockey Player: #8 Cam Neely! |
    Read my Poetry at
    www.poemscribe.com |

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Jay Tee; Hi Welcome to the forum.

Seems a graphics issue. From the recovery login, have you tried to install the recommended driver from the "Additional Drivers" utility (and do you have 3rd party software sources enabled )?

just try'n to help

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

yes this a graphics card problem. boot into recovery mode and install the additional drivers in system settings for your graphics card. Bingo!

Beans

I had a similar problem after recently installing 12.10. (My computer is a Toshiba Satellite L875D with Radeon HD Graphics (HD 7520 G).

Here is a description of my problem: After logging off, my first attempt to log back in would result in a puple screen followed by a black screen then nothing ...
    Then I would turn off the computer using the power button and then turn it back on using the power button. I would then be presented with a grub menu and have to choose recovery mode for a successful login.

bashing-om's suggestion above is what clued me into the solution. I'm only filling in the details as I implemented them in case they may also help you.
    Also as bashing-om you need to enable 3rd party sources when installing 12.10 because these drivers are proprietary (so you'll never be able to modify them if that is of interest)

step 1. Open System Tools
    step 2. Open System Settings
    step 3. Open Software Sources -- go to the additional drivers tab and select the radio button for 'Using video driver for the AMD graphics accelerator from fglrx-updates (propriety)

A couple of things -- I'm not sure if Ubuntu will detect your particular graphics card and helpfully display it as a choice under the additional drivers tab as it did for me. If my details don't work for you I'm still pretty sure the other guys in this thread nailed the root problem so you're almost there.
    good luck
    TM

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by rcayea View Post
    Sounds like a video card driver problem. Do you know what video card you have?

I don't know off the top of my head what command line you could run, but I do know that the program called hardinfo will tell you what you need to know, once installed.
    The command line command that I use for this is
    Code:
    lshw
    Then, in the output, look for something similar to this: (basically, it will have the words "*-display
    description: VGA compatible controller")
    Code:
               *-display
                    description: VGA compatible controller
                    product: RV770 [Radeon HD 4850]
                    vendor: ATI Technologies Inc
                    physical id: 0
                    bus info: pci@0000:01:00.0
                    version: 00
                    width: 64 bits
                    clock: 33MHz
                    capabilities: bus_master cap_list rom
                    configuration: driver=fglrx_pci latency=0
                    resources: irq:29 memory:e0000000-efffffff(prefetchable) memory:f7c20000-f7c2ffff ioport:e000(size=256) memory:f7c00000-f7c1ffff(prefetchable)
    I hope that helps the original poster. ^_^
    Last edited by Princess Bernice; March 1st, 2013 at 07:42 AM. Reason: clarified post

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Quote Originally Posted by Princess Bernice View Post
    The command line command that I use for this is
    Code:
    lshw

Yes, that is one.
    Code:
    lspci
    reads out everything in the PCI slots, so that can be useful sometimes too.

You should start lshw with sudo. I don't really know why, but it complains if you don't. You can restrict the output, which can be rather long, by using the -c option and naming a hardware class. For instance

Code:
    sudo lshw -c network
    will show you just the network adaptors, and

Code:
    sudo lshw -c video
    will show you just the graphics card(s).
    Michael