Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to install and configure samba 4 on Ubuntu 12.04 ?

Beans

How to install and configure samba 4 on Ubuntu 12.04 ?

hi,
    Can any one tell me that is it possible to install and configure samba 4 in my ubuntu 12.04 box so I may replace windows server 2008 and use samba as a AD ?

thanks
    honey.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Re: How to install and configure samba 4 on Ubuntu 12.04 ?

I used the SAMBA4 wiki to install via the recommended GIT method on Debian 6. This should give you a complete set of instructions for getting SAMBA 4 up and running.
    Nothing is ever easy, but if it is difficult you must be doing it wrong.

Beans

thanks for the reply. Well in Ubuntu world has some one configure samba 4 according to the wiki?

thanks

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by honey_bee View Post
    hi,

Can any one tell me that is it possible to install and configure samba 4 in my ubuntu 12.04 box so I may replace windows server 2008 and use samba as a AD ?

thanks

honey.

I've used this tutorial with success. http://paulcolfer.ie/category/os/linux/ Let me know if you have issues. I've been able to join windows and ubuntu clients to the samba4 DC.

Beans

Thanks "lingpanda" for guiding me. Well the purpose to use Samba 4 is to kick out my windows Server and use Samba 4 as a complete alternate of windows server and impliment group policies.

So I think Samba will help me in it as well.

I want to add one thing more which is out of the scope of my thread is preior I have Fedora,Centos 6.3 experience on server side. To use Ubuntu as a server it is a will be my 1st experience which is a bit confusing me.Becuase preior I use su,yum,yum update etc etc commands as a root user but here in ubuntu server it is different.

To learn Ubuntu full fledge should I 1st learn Debian and then switch to Ubuntu ?

thanks
    honey.

Beans

Thanks "lingpanda" for guiding me. Well the purpose to use Samba 4 is to kick out my windows Server and use Samba 4 as a complete alternate of windows server and impliment group policies.

So I think Samba will help me in it as well.

I want to add one thing more which is out of the scope of my thread is preior I have Fedora,Centos 6.3 experience on server side. To use Ubuntu as a server it is a will be my 1st experience which is a bit confusing me.Becuase preior I use su,yum,yum update etc etc commands as a root user but here in ubuntu server it is different.

To learn Ubuntu full fledge should I 1st learn Debian and then switch to Ubuntu ?

thanks

honey.

I have no experience outside of Ubuntu and Windows on other platforms. I'm not sure what your learning curve will be. Once your Samba4 server is setup you can use Windows RSAT tools to administer.

Beans

honey.

I'll add a link to this tool I use with my Ubuntu server. http://winscp.net/eng/index.php I have a strong Windows background and it helped me with my transition to Ubuntu.

Beans

Hi All,

I tested deploying Samba 4 in my Ubuntu 12.10 Server, I used Samba4.0.1 instead, since I can't find the 4.0.0 i followed this tutorial http://paulcolfer.ie/category/os/linux/ almost completed but encountered an error on adding user "Client1", this is the response:
    ERROR(ldb): Failed to add user ‘Client1′: -objectclass: Cannot add CN=Client1, CN=Users,DC=mydomain,DC=local, parent does not exist .

anyone who have ideas on this? pls. help.

Thanks so much.

-IJ-

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by IJselflearner View Post
    Hi All,

I tested deploying Samba 4 in my Ubuntu 12.10 Server, I used Samba4.0.1 instead, since I can't find the 4.0.0 i followed this tutorial http://paulcolfer.ie/category/os/linux/ almost completed but encountered an error on adding user "Client1", this is the response:
    ERROR(ldb): Failed to add user ‘Client1′: -objectclass: Cannot add CN=Client1, CN=Users,DC=mydomain,DC=local, parent does not exist .

anyone who have ideas on this? pls. help.

Thanks so much.

-IJ-
    Looks like during your provision you didn't create a complex password for the admin. Try running the provision tool and creating a complex password.

Beans

lingpanda,

Thanks for your reply.
    Yes, I think it's the issue that everyone needs to consider.
    Reinstalled Ubuntu Server, configure Samba, and create a complex password. tested and working fine.

Is it possible to join an Ubuntu machine to the domain?

Thanks!

-IJ-

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast