Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Good email service

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Good email service

Hi!

Been using Lavabit for a year now, having loads of problems with someone obviously hacking my account over and over again, scans show no viruses on my Xubuntu 12.04. So now i've been looking at various mail services. Gmail is out, since i can't use my name.surname, so i've made provisional accounts on mail.com, aol.com, and myopera.com. Are any of these any good? The reviews i read are all very very different, for example AOL, loads of people praising and dissing it. And it's layout looks most attractive to me.

Any pros, cons and suggestions?

Mail.com and aol.com are also in slight advantage, because upon dictating my mail address, there are no complications, because i live in a non english speaking country. so mail.com and aol.com sound pretty straightforward.

any help?

Thanks guys
    "Sometimes you just have to pee in the sink." - Charles Bukowski

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Good email service

I doubt that this is about lavabit, nor that a virus is the cause of this. I have family and friends who've had their hotmail and yahoo accounts hacked. You're especially prone to being hacked if you've happened to post your email address online in plain text. (On a forum like this, for instance.) In addition you ought to reconsider your passwords... How strong are they? Do use use dictinary words in your password?

Btw, could you provide further clarification? What do you mean with "someone obviously hacking my account over and over again"?
    Last edited by Dry Lips; February 25th, 2013 at 02:38 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander

Hey guys,

Why dont you purchase a domain, and run your own email account like

Simon@myubuntu.com ?

thats what i'm doing, it costs about 2 quid for my domain per year and have 5 free email accounts...

Ive used: 123-reg.co.uk and 1and1.co.uk in the past,

Beans

You can have a look at www.gmx.com

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Quote Originally Posted by Simon_WM View Post
    Why dont you purchase a domain, and run your own email account like
    that would mean you would need to run your own server unless you buy some hosting. there are some cheap host out there. htoughi am not sure OP ment to spend any money to use e-mail.

you can also rent a domain via google (for about 20 USD/year), then you can have gmail but with your own name.surname+your own domain .
    Read the easy to understand, lots of pics Ubuntu manual.
    Do i need antivirus/firewall in linux?
    Full disk backup (newer kernel -> suitable for newer PC): Clonezilla
    User friendly full disk backup: Rescuezilla

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander

Quote Originally Posted by mastablasta View Post
    that would mean you would need to run your own server unless you buy some hosting. there are some cheap host out there. htoughi am not sure OP ment to spend any money to use e-mail.

you can also rent a domain via google (for about 20 USD/year), then you can have gmail but with your own name.surname+your own domain .
    Dont need to run your own, My Emails are hosted with 123-reg

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Fastmail and Zoho are good alternatives.

UbuntuGuide/KubuntuGuide

Right now the killer is being surrounded by a web of deduction, forensic science,
    and the latest in technology such as two-way radios and e-mail.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by Dry Lips View Post
    I doubt that this is about lavabit, nor that a virus is the cause of this. I have family and friends who've had their hotmail and yahoo accounts hacked. You're especially prone to being hacked if you've happened to post your email address online in plain text. (On a forum like this, for instance.) In addition you ought to reconsider your passwords... How strong are they? Do use use dictinary words in your password?

Btw, could you provide further clarification? What do you mean with "someone obviously hacking my account over and over again"?
    Thanks for clarifying. i've been told that more and more messages are coming back since there's obviously a spam queue or sth like that, and that the problem should go away in the next few days.

Bold: i changed the password, and i still got some strange return emails, so i thought someone figured out my password again! But it probably isn't so. So i really have no idea how someone could possibly guess my password since it wasn't a word, it was just a mix of letters and one number. weird.

Anyway, if it doesn't get fixed soon, i'm probably switching to AOL.
    "Sometimes you just have to pee in the sink." - Charles Bukowski

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

I'm using Lavabit as a secondary mail provider. The web interface is pretty spartan but IMAP w/Thunderbird works great. No spam issues or other weirdities.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Budgie Development Release

GMX has great spam and virus protection.
    "Our intention creates our reality. "

Ubuntu Documentation Search: Popular Pages
    Ubuntu: Security Basics
    Ubuntu: Flavors

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast