Thread: SymLinks across network

Beans

SymLinks across network

Hi Guys, I hope someone can help, I'll give as much background as I can.

I have an Ubuntu LAMP serving an Intranet (Joomla et al) that I will need to get the following to work on.

The domain is controlled by MS SBS 2011 in a 10.0.0.* address space

On my (Win7) desktop I have a development copy of the Intranet running WAMPSERVER.

Everything is fine....

However, I want to point to files that sit in different locations on the network (I do not want to upload them to Joomla - just not practicable)

I am trying to achieve this (on the development system for now) using symlinks (which despite a lot of reading clearly I do not fully understand)

I have placed a folder in the same root as my test document, called workdrive

I have also created c:/testfolder/testwork/

my test document consists of
    Code:
    <a href="file:///workdrive/readme.txt" >file</a>
    I have a test folder as described below.
    in the workdrive and the testwork folder I have a text file called readme.txt (with different text in them) - neither open from the test page.

I have the following for an Apache alias directory entry (WAMPSERVER runs okay with this entry)

Code:
    Alias /workdrive "c:/testfolder/testwork/"
    <Directory "c:/testfolder/testwork/">
    Options Indexes FollowSymLinks MultiViews
        AllowOverride all
            Order Deny,Allow
        Deny from all
        Allow from 127.0.0.1
        Allow from 10.0.0.*
    </Directory>
    What am I doing wrong? I'm I doing it right, but WAMPSERVER does not follow the rules? Once I get this working I need to test it with network shares and then implement it on the Ubuntu LAMP.

Kind regards
    ACW

Beans

Re: SymLinks across network

I now have this working on a windows box, and Joomla is able to display files that are dotted across the domain.

I now need to transfer this to my Ubuntu LAMP.
    Can anyone tell me how I can give Apache authorisation to access files and directories on the windows domain?

Many Thanks
    ACW

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: SymLinks across network

The easiest solution is to mount the remote shares on your machine with CIFS. Then you can create a symlink that points to the mount point of the share.
    If you ask for help, please have the courtesy to check for responses and thank the people who helped you.

Blog · Linode System Administration Guides · Android Apps for Ubuntu Users