Thread: Changing Ubuntu 12.04 to Lubuntu 12.04

Beans

Arrow Changing Ubuntu 12.04 to Lubuntu 12.04

*Skip to 'Current System' if you want to directly answer my question*

Hi guys,
    I'm actually looking for a change in the entire OS, not just the desktop environment. My computer is currently a single boot Ubuntu OS, with GRUB boot-loader installed when I first used a live USB stick to install Ubuntu. I've heard that Lubuntu is very good at memory/CPU usage optimization, just what I need for a game server (yes it is a server, but I prefer graphical interface over command-line interface any day). The reason why I'm choosing to reinstall is because of avoiding the 'bloatedness' of Ubuntu.

Current system:
    Ubuntu 12.04
    Planned system:
    Lubuntu 12.04

Main Question:
    How am I supposed to back up all of my preferences, etc. to e.g. an external HDD and then restore it when I clean install another Linux system based on Ubuntu?

Thanks in advance,
    sammy0025

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: Changing Ubuntu 12.04 to Lubuntu 12.04

1. A clean install

A clean install is the simplest way to do it, and then to add whatever preferences you like to have.

2. Change your system

Backup your system (or at least your /home folder or partition. Then install lubuntu-desktop into your present system
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install lubuntu-desktop
    and make it Pure Lubuntu according to these links

http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/index

http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/purelubuntuprecise

Edit: But remember that Lubuntu has no long time support. Its end of life is October 2013, so think twice before doing this. Maybe it is better to run Ubuntu Server with the addition of XFCE
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install xfce4
    and enjoy the LTS support of packages belonging to Xubuntu until April 2015.

You can also install
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install xubuntu-desktop
    and make Pure Xubuntu
    Last edited by sudodus; February 25th, 2013 at 12:23 PM. Reason: add xfce4 to ubuntu server