Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: No Disk Space Problem

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Deletion of Thunderbird Email

Okay, login to Thunderbird to read some email and when I go to delete the email I have just read get the following error message:

The messages could not be moved or copied to folder 'Trash' because writing to folder failed. To gain disk space, from the File menu, first choose Empty Trash, and then choose Compact Folders, and then try again.

Well, I have attempted to do that and nothing happens! So, WTFO, where do I go from here to correct this problem? Checked email this morning and no problems with deleting, etc.

Just now attempted to "GET MAIL" and got the following error:

Unable to write the email to the mailbox. Make sure the file system allows you write privileges, and you have enough disk space to copy the mailbox.
    Last edited by c5vetter; February 24th, 2013 at 02:27 AM.

Beans
    Distro

No Disk Space Problem

Okay, problem is beyond Thunderbird and being able to delete email! Just started Ubuntu and now get error that DROPBOX can not sync because there is no more disk space! When I run Disk Usage Analyzer, I get the follownig:

Total filesystem capacity 117.3 gb (35.9gb, available 81.4gb)

/ Usage is RED 100% 36.0GB 21 items
    host is YELLOW 54% 19.4GB 14 items
    var is GREEN 17.9% 6.4GB 11 items
    usr is GREEN 15.6% 5.6GB 9 items
    lib is GREEN 5.3% 1.9GB 53 items
    home is GREEN 5.0% 1,8GB 1 item
    boot 1.1% 411.7MB 79 items
    dev 0% 4.1KB 15 items
    etc 0% 17.6MB 273 items
    media 0% 8.2KB 1 item
    mnt 0% 4.1KB 0 items
    opt .9% 340.2MB 2 items
    run 0% 1.4MB 37 items
    bin 0% 10.4MB 133 items
    sbin 0% 10.5MB 152 items
    selinux 0% 4.1KB 0 items
    srv 0% 4.1KB 0 items
    tmp 0% 12.3KB 16 items

So, what do I need to do!? Obvious "/" is 100% and RED and that needs to be changed, but how!?

Beans

Re: No Disk Space Problem

Quote Originally Posted by c5vetter View Post
    Okay, problem is beyond Thunderbird and being able to delete email! Just started Ubuntu and now get error that DROPBOX can not sync because there is no more disk space! When I run Disk Usage Analyzer, I get the follownig:

Total filesystem capacity 117.3 gb (35.9gb, available 81.4gb)

/ Usage is RED 100% 36.0GB 21 items
    host is YELLOW 54% 19.4GB 14 items
    var is GREEN 17.9% 6.4GB 11 items
    usr is GREEN 15.6% 5.6GB 9 items
    lib is GREEN 5.3% 1.9GB 53 items
    home is GREEN 5.0% 1,8GB 1 item
    boot 1.1% 411.7MB 79 items
    dev 0% 4.1KB 15 items
    etc 0% 17.6MB 273 items
    media 0% 8.2KB 1 item
    mnt 0% 4.1KB 0 items
    opt .9% 340.2MB 2 items
    run 0% 1.4MB 37 items
    bin 0% 10.4MB 133 items
    sbin 0% 10.5MB 152 items
    selinux 0% 4.1KB 0 items
    srv 0% 4.1KB 0 items
    tmp 0% 12.3KB 16 items

So, what do I need to do!? Obvious "/" is 100% and RED and that needs to be changed, but how!?
    maybe your dropbox account is maxed out and that's what is causing it?
    Whoever came up with the phrase "There is no such thing as a stupid question" obviously never had the internet.

Beans
    Distro

Nope - Dropbox has about 350MB of files and have 5 gb space available total so not even close to being maxed out!

Beans

Hmm try either clearing out some space in / or expanding it. But dropbox ususally uses a folder in home which that shouldn't be a problem then.
    Whoever came up with the phrase "There is no such thing as a stupid question" obviously never had the internet.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Those percentages and colours in disk usage analyser are a bit misleading. / is always red and at 100%, even on my computer, on which I use only about 10% of my disk space. This is because the percentage is the size of each directory compared to its parent directory. This can be useful to find out where to do some cleanup.

You have a directory called /host. This means this is a wubi install (unless you tried to decieve us by making such a directory yourself, of course). The /host is on a separate partition, so the only way to use the space available there is to move data to that directory. For some data this may be possible. You may also be able to increase the size of your (virtual) ubuntu partition. I don't know much about wubi, so I cannot help you with that. Your ubuntu partition, if indeed full, is now about 16GB in size, you may be able to increase that to 30GB maximum.

However, I see that your /var is relatively large. It should be on the order of 1GB. Check for large log files in /var/log. If there are repeating error messages, post them here. There may be some problem that generates lots of error messages. Solving it may free about 5GB. In the meantime, you can simply delete the old logs to free up some space and keep your computer working.

Beans

Run df -h command in Terminal to check free space. If Use% for any filesystem is 100% or close to that, you need to clear up some space.

Otherwise the issue is caused by something else, most likely insufficient permissions.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by c5vetter View Post
    Okay, problem is beyond Thunderbird and being able to delete email! Just started Ubuntu and now get error that DROPBOX can not sync because there is no more disk space!
    Try using the BleachBit utility to identify (in preview mode) files that can potentially be deleted. If you are satisfied that the program has identified redundant items you can then opt to actually delete them. Even things like (multiple, archived) log files can take surprisingly large amounts of space. For further details see: http://linuxnorth.wordpress.com/2012...space-warning/

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Lubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by prodigy_ View Post
    Run df -h command in Terminal to check free space. If Use% for any filesystem is 100% or close to that, you need to clear up some space.

Otherwise the issue is caused by something else, most likely insufficient permissions.

There are 2 different things that can run out of space. Sectors and inodes. Check each with:
    Code:
    $ df -kh
    $ df -i
    Please post the results here.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Impavidus View Post
    You have a directory called /host. This means this is a wubi install (unless you tried to decieve us by making such a directory yourself, of course). The /host is on a separate partition, so the only way to use the space available there is to move data to that directory. For some data this may be possible. You may also be able to increase the size of your (virtual) ubuntu partition. I don't know much about wubi, so I cannot help you with that. Your ubuntu partition, if indeed full, is now about 16GB in size, you may be able to increase that to 30GB maximum.
    This is REALLY important! Because, this means Ubuntu is NOT installed in a separate Linux filesystem partition; thus, you can NOT use any of the standard filesystem tools to change its size.

The link below has a section that describes how to increase the size of the virtual space allocated to a Wubi install:

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/WubiGuide
    Mint 15 & 16; MS Win7 & Win8.1.
    Will not respond to PM requests for support -- use the forums.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast