Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Writing my own programming language

Beans

Writing my own programming language

Hello, I have been working on this project for some months now and I want to show it to other people. Basically speaking, it's a programming language which can be compiled and ran using a virtual machine. Here's a detailed explanation I wrote in my blog:

So, in last blog post I gave small introduction to my current project that I am working on. In this blog I want to release the first version of my current project. You can grab it from here: http://www.pradsprojects.com/despair.html
    So, this piece of software that I wrote is a system to write portable programs. It has its own programming language and the program that are compiled can be executed using a Virtual Machine. The system isn’t mature and lot of things are lacking but I hope to develop it further in the future.
    Let me talk a little about how this system works. You write a program using its programming language (here’s the documentation of programming language: http://www.pradsprojects.com/despair...ion/index.html) then compile it using compiler tool that I have written. The compiler generates a file with ‘.dbin’ extension which can be executed using the Virtual Machine.
    I have created a small IDE for developing program for this system which you can download it from the project site (the one that I gave you on the top). IDE consist of editor to write and manage source code (which is fairly basic at the moment, no syntax highlighting for the moment sorry), a compiler to compile the source code and a virtual machine to run the compiled file.
    Alternately, if you don’t want to create programs for the system but want to run program created by others, you’re going to have to download the VM from the project site. There are two types of VM for Windows OS: interpreter version and JIT version (Dynamic Recompiler). The JIT version is faster than interpreter version though I am still not very happy with the JIT performance, I think it can be improved more. I will port the JIT version to Linux later.
    I want to create the Virtual Machine for various different platforms like android, iOS, MacOS etc so that the program written using despairLanguage can be run in different platforms. Currently the VM works in Windows and Linux.
    P.S: The software is open source and is on github. Links are on the project site.

So, I just wanted you guys to look at it and play around with it. Some feedbacks (good or bad) is highly appreciated.

Thanks!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: Writing my own programming language

So... it's C with some C++-isms on your own VM?
    Posting code? Use the [code] or [php] tags.
    I don't care, I'm still free. You can't take the sky from me.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by schauerlich View Post
    So... it's C with some C++-isms on your own VM?
    ^ this. skimmed documentation and why make another language if it looks so similar to c/c++? why would we use it over those languages?

Beans

Guys, it's probably just an interesting exercise. Nobody is saying that we should suddenly use it Not every programming language effort needs to be ground breaking.

Personally I think it's a cool project and I'm sure OP will learn a lot. It's one of the long list of things I want to try one day.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by JDShu View Post
    Guys, it's probably just an interesting exercise. Nobody is saying that we should suddenly use it Not every programming language effort needs to be ground breaking.

Personally I think it's a cool project and I'm sure OP will learn a lot. It's one of the long list of things I want to try one day.
    Exactly! Thanks!

This project started out as a hobby. I had the idea about how compiler and low level stuffs work but I just wanted to take the challenge of implementing it. Then I starting to think , if I released it to public maybe someone will have good use of it.

So, the thing is I just wanted to create something that can create portable games. I want homebrew game devs to code and compile just once and that program can be run in various different platform. I will port the VM to most of the modern platform.

I don't know how to describe it, it just started it as a hobby, but now I want to develop it further and see how it evolves.

Beans

Hey, that's actually very, very classy compared to a lot of the "I'm going to write my own language/kernel/window manager" projects one see here that never amount to anything but dreams and hot air. My hat's off to OP

As a suggestion though, if you really are interested in writing languages for a portable VM and to get to something usable, why not work on top of the Java VM?
    LambdaGrok. | #ubuntu-programming on FreeNode

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by CptPicard View Post
    Hey, that's actually very, very classy compared to a lot of the "I'm going to write my own language/kernel/window manager" projects one see here that never amount to anything but dreams and hot air. My hat's off to OP

As a suggestion though, if you really are interested in writing languages for a portable VM and to get to something usable, why not work on top of the Java VM?
    Thanks!

Writing my own VM was half the fun. It's my creation so I can tweak it in anyway I like. I know nuts and bolts of the system and how it works and can change it to my liking.
    Also, my VM design is more cleaner that JavaVM design.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by CptPicard View Post
    My hat's off to OP
    +1

Great work! Getting a new language accepted and used widely is unlikely but what a great project to have under your belt.

=D>=D>=D>

Beans

OP actually knows his stuff, looking forward for the next version of the IDE.

Beans

Had a good read of your project on the way home from work... I must say I am very impressed.

You've gone to great lengths to do all this plus the documentation and examples etc. Completely not was I was expecting to see after all the other "Creating my own <XXX>" (as CptPicard has already mentioned).

If you have done all of this yourself, then you should feel very proud, regardless of where it goes.
    - "Make me a coffee..."
    - "No"
    - "sudo make me a coffee"
    - "OK"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast