Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Windows OEM disk loaded on VirtualBox

Beans

Re: Windows OEM disk loaded on VirtualBox

DuffPaddy, if you have your old Esprimo DmiSystemSerial and DmiSystemUuid, I'd try that with your original Esprimo recovery disk first, that should already be authenticated with MS, and I would think of could test the recovery disk to see if it thinks the virtual Esprimo is it's factory configuration off-line. I'll have to read just what MS is claiming to fix in their last release, since I have backups of my Virtualbox files, I might consider a final update, but XP already does everything I need it to.

I'll certainly be interested to heard how it goes.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

If I understand you correctly, you are trying to port an existing XP OS originally installed on a specific hardware box by hitching up the old HDD to a new box and just asking VirtualBox to use the old installed OS as its Virtual Machine image? If this is not what you are trying to do, then please ignore what follows.

This is possible, but very tricky, very risky and involves magic wands and fairy dust. The problem is that, in your case, it isn't just a matter of changing a few serial numbers and User ID settings. Your original system was installed with XP OS settings based on actual hardware, whereas your intended VM creates very different "hardware". Linux is hardware agnostic, but XP is not. In fact, XP is very hardware specific, in large part, to prevent exactly the easy portability from one system to the next the you desire (I suspect this is part of MS's antipiracy paranoia). VirtualBox can be set up to run its virtual machine from an actual HDD using the RAW disk setting, but XP will detect that your mobo has changed, your HDD is a different, your CPU count may have changed and consequently refuse to run.

You can work around these things, but the procedure is not for the faint of heart and instructions are on the VirtualBox site here.

Be warned going in: many have hosed their Windows install by unsuccessfully trying to do this port. If you consider your Win install a lost one already, then I suppose that there is nothing to be lost by trying.

I highly recommend that you extract your Licence activation key from Windows before you start. This will allow you to install a fresh XP OS should your porting attempt not succeed. I don't remember the precise process for doing this, but it can easily be found by Googling for it.

Good luck!
    Newb: How far must I jump to clear the ledge halfway down?
    Guru: It's bad to jump off cliffs. Let's look at better options.
    Newb: Stop harping about "best practices" and just let me jump.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by Curbie View Post
    I might consider a final update, but XP already does everything I need it to.
    Hi Curbie:

Good to see everything worked out for you. Without question, you've been the most tenacious and determined new user I've ever helped out on these forums and you deserve the success. Just a brief suggestion: I intend to keep updating XP up to its very last die-date (April 8, 2014) after which I will disable the virtual NIC in the VM and thoroughly isolate it from the big bad world out there. Until then, I will continue to take advantage of the MS support I've already paid for. You may wish to do the same because many of the updates are not just security but bug fixes that may allow apps to run better. ...just my further two pennies.

Beans

@Curbie: Sadly I don't have the original UUID from the box, as it won't boot at all now. I do have the serial number though, from the label on the box, and I've added that to the VBox BIOS settings, along with all my colleague's, which I now have. Regarding my colleague's settings, I notice that my serial number is only a few higher than his. Now this is probably laughably naive, but could I calculate my original UUID by adding that same difference (in hex) to the end of his UUID? I would assume that manufacturers do this sort of thing in bulk, but I don't know whether it's as simple as everything being sequential like that. Failing that, I suppose it must be recorded on my old hard disk somewhere.

For an initial test though, I've changed the VM's BIOS settings as best I can, with the UUID set to all Fs for now. It's certainly installed from the OEM disc OK, and seems to be working, but I've not attempted to register or perform any updates yet.

@Duckhook: Hmm, it looks like my next attempt, attempting to load up a VM from a clone of my hard disk, might be trickier than I thought. I knew there'd be hardware issues to overcome, but I thought I might somehow be able to go into safe mode and replace the appropriate drivers. I'll try it and if it's too tricky I'll leave it alone and stick to the base XP installation. I'm not working on the original hard disk though, only a clone of it, so I can't scupper that.

As an aside, how on Earth do those people who buy an OEM disc from eBay and try to install it on real hardware get on? I would imagine it would be a lot trickier to have to change real BIOS settings, most of which are surely not modifiable from the menu.

Beans

Duckhook,

I always felt, that if I put one foot in front of the other, eventually, I'd get to where I'm going, and now that I'm there, I'm starting to forget the work it took to get here. It's the “here” that's important, what it took to get here is not.

I'm reorganizing where and how I store my data between the stuff that works transparently on xUbuntu and the stuff that must live on XP, this will take a while, but at least I can get done what I need to get done in XP while I test and learn how to get my data into a suitable xUbuntu application. Thanks for all your time and help, your configuration suggestion is working as advertised and was worth the effort.

PuffDaddy – I hear you with wishing I had my dead HP's bios settings, if you have the time and interest to play, you can try to see if you could calculate your original UUID, but I would think that would only work if the hex representation of your colleague's DmiSystemSerial matches his ascii S/N, I never played with the bios settings of a factory loaded machine so I really don't know where or how those numbers are used, or you could just try a few in that known range of S/N hunting for one that's already authenticated, but the machine is no longer in use.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

there is an other way
    hang out at a recycling centre, fairly soon someone will dump a PC with a valid XP sticker on it.
    Bingo!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by coldraven View Post
    there is an other way
    hang out at a recycling centre, fairly soon someone will dump a PC with a valid XP sticker on it.
    Bingo!

Beans

Well, one OEM install, 2 Service Packs and 125 updates later, here I am with a working Windows XP virtual system! I even ran Windows Genuine Advantage and it passed all the tests without problem. So either it's not checking that UUID or it doesn't care about it. And after reading the article DuckHook linked to, I'm not even going to attempt restoring my cloned system. I'll build it up step by step from this base instead.

For future reference, here's the batch file I used to the get the ball rolling. It's a variation on the bash scripts posted earlier.

Code:
    set VM_NAME=Esprimo
    set VSETED="C:\Program Files\Oracle\VirtualBox\VBoxManage" setextradata %VM_NAME%
    set CFG_PATH=VBoxInternal/Devices/pcbios/0/Config
    %VSETED% %CFG_PATH%/DmiBIOSVendor       "FUJITSU SIEMENS // Phoenix Technologies Ltd."
    %VSETED% %CFG_PATH%/DmiBIOSVersion      "5.00 R1.20.2334"
    %VSETED% %CFG_PATH%/DmiBIOSReleaseDate  "12/20/2005"
    %VSETED% %CFG_PATH%/DmiBIOSReleaseMajor  ""
    %VSETED% %CFG_PATH%/DmiBIOSReleaseMinor  ""
    %VSETED% %CFG_PATH%/DmiBIOSFirmwareMajor ""
    %VSETED% %CFG_PATH%/DmiBIOSFirmwareMinor ""
    %VSETED% %CFG_PATH%/DmiSystemVendor     "FUJITSU SIEMENS"
    %VSETED% %CFG_PATH%/DmiSystemProduct    "ESPRIMO E"
    %VSETED% %CFG_PATH%/DmiSystemVersion    ""
    %VSETED% %CFG_PATH%/DmiSystemSerial     "(my old system's serial number)"
    %VSETED% %CFG_PATH%/DmiSystemUuid       "FFFFFFFF-FFFF-FFFF-FFFF-FFFFFFFFFFFF"
    %VSETED% %CFG_PATH%/DmiSystemFamily     "103C_5336AN"
    Ideally though, I guess you'd want to fill in that UUID if you could find it. Also, I'm not sure whether I should have split that BIOS version up into major and minor releases.

As regards the valid XP sticker, I already have one of those! I've lifted of off the old case. Unfortunately, over time the last couple of characters have been scratched off, but I'm hanging on to it for proof that I have a genuine licence anyway.

Many thanks for all your help on this one, folks!
    Last edited by DuffPaddy; March 14th, 2013 at 12:50 PM.

Beans

Great job!

Beans

I just got a new laptop I found on sale. It came Win8, with I would replace with XP if it weren't such a pain to find the drivers I would need for newer hardware. I hate Win8 with a passion. I used WinNT, Win2K, and WinXP, which were bad enough, but the new one is lots worse. It perfectly sensible to want to continue using XP if you bought it and it does what you need Windows for such as games or in my case DRM ebook from the library.

An answer to your question about the OEM disk. If you install XP in a small partition for dual boot , you can then point VirtualBox to run off that copy of WinXP. Sometimes you can still have problems with the OEM disks not recognizes hardware that it wasn't originally sold for. I've don't some reading about booting a virtualBox from an installed dual boot partition. It appears to work with older versions of Windoze, but I'm having problems getting it to work with the copy of Win8 that my laptop came pre-infected with. Its not working the same because Win8 uses a new partitioning system and boot manager called UEFI.

If you google for "dual boot and virtual box windows and ubuntu" you will find lots of discussion of doing what you will need to do. Some of the results will be people are using Virtual Box under Windoze to run a Ubuntu guest - skip those. With WInXP, you should boot Ubuntu and then start the WinXP as a virtual guest as you are trying to do.

Good luck
    greg

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345