Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Windows OEM disk loaded on VirtualBox

Beans

Re: Windows OEM disk loaded on VirtualBox

Coldraven,

If you keep knocking down the problems one by one, no matter how many, eventually there will none left standing in the way. A big problem got knocked down today. I got through to the place I bought my cd from, and the guy there went out of his way to burn and send me an ISO file to replace my bad cd, and solved my VM boot problems.

I'm back to testing Virtualbox's setup with XP before I activate XP because it seems some of the Virtualbox's stuff doesn't like to be change after you install XP, and I what to make sure everything is correct before I activate XP.

I'll write up, post my solution, and close out this thread when I this fully set up.

Thanks for your help.

Beans

I have xUbuntu 12.04 LTS amd64, running on a 3 core AMD with 8gb of ram, and 1tb of disk; here is the setup I used to configure Virtualbox running XP. The version of Virtualbox I downloaded with the Software Center was 4.1.12, and the latest version on the Oricle site

1) I downloaded and installed and Virtualbox and Extension Pack version 4.2.## https://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Linux_Downloads

2) I bought a Dell OEM cd from http://www.softwareslashers.com/Wind...essional-W-SP3 (I had bad mouthed this company in previous posts, for which I apologize for, the disk turned out to be bad, and they went out of their way to burn and send me a replacement ISO)

3) I started a new virtual machine in Virtualbox using DuckHook's recommendations.

a. Give it two processors. Your heavy usage will make use of the 2 processors, but XP will not recognize more than 2 either. (I also had to check “Enable IO to APIC” to keep Virtualbox from popping a warning.)
    b. Give it 4GB of ram. XP recognizes no more than 4GB, so max it out but don't waste any more on it either. You must turn on PAE before XP will recognize 4GB.
    c. Give it half of your HDD space. (I make the disk 50gb to make sure I don't get lazy on the fullest transition to xUbuntu as possible)
    d. Give it 64 MB of video. You will find games rather slow, so do recreational stuff on Xubuntu instead.
    e. Be sure to set a shared folder. I use my /home/duckhook/Public directory. Any files in this directory are now shared between your XP client and your Xubuntu host.

4) Ran this script:

VBoxManage setextradata "XP" "VBoxInternal/Devices/pcbios/0/Config/DmiBIOSVendor" "Dell Inc."
    VBoxManage setextradata "XP" "VBoxInternal/Devices/pcbios/0/Config/DmiBIOSVersion" "1.0.3"
    VBoxManage setextradata "XP" "VBoxInternal/Devices/pcbios/0/Config/DmiBIOSReleaseDate" "06/20/2008"
    VBoxManage setextradata "XP" "VBoxInternal/Devices/pcbios/0/Config/DmiBIOSReleaseMajor" 2
    VBoxManage setextradata "XP" "VBoxInternal/Devices/pcbios/0/Config/DmiBIOSReleaseMinor" 1
    VBoxManage setextradata "XP" "VBoxInternal/Devices/pcbios/0/Config/DmiBIOSFirmwareMajor" 2
    VBoxManage setextradata "XP" "VBoxInternal/Devices/pcbios/0/Config/DmiBIOSFirmwareMinor" 1
    VBoxManage setextradata "XP" "VBoxInternal/Devices/pcbios/0/Config/DmiSystemVendor" "Dell Inc."
    VBoxManage setextradata "XP" "VBoxInternal/Devices/pcbios/0/Config/DmiSystemProduct" "Vostro 410"
    VBoxManage setextradata "XP" "VBoxInternal/Devices/pcbios/0/Config/DmiSystemVersion" "<EMPTY>"
    VBoxManage setextradata "XP" "VBoxInternal/Devices/pcbios/0/Config/DmiSystemSerial" "DJX9DH1"
    VBoxManage setextradata "XP" "VBoxInternal/Devices/pcbios/0/Config/DmiSystemUuid" "44454C4C-4A00-1058-8039-C4C04F444831"
    VBoxManage setextradata "XP" "VBoxInternal/Devices/pcbios/0/Config/DmiSystemFamily" ""

and you can check the variables with:
    VBoxManage getextradata "XP" "VBoxInternal/Devices/pcbios/0/Config/VARIABLENAME
    5) Started the new virtual machine with Dell OEM cd

6) Whenthe XP installis done and registered, with the Virtualbox window running XP still open, install Virtualbox “Guest Additions” from Virtualbox's “Devices” dropdown

I spent time today loading all my data that I accumulated over 30 years and thinking about a way to better organize it to suit this new configuration, this is a big task and and I will do most of it over time. Now on to system maintenance.

Thanks to all that helped, this was a very important piece of of my configuration puzzle.

Beans
    Hidden!

Congratulations

This thread was way out of my territory, I'd rather go wild goose hunting

(Some years ago, when it was still possible to buy Windows XP, I installed it without problems into VirtualBox in Ubuntu 8.04 LTS. This VBoxWinXP has survived upgrading to 10.04 LTS and 12.04 LTS.)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I spent time today loading all my data that I accumulated over 30 years and thinking about a way to better organize it to suit this new configuration, this is a big task and and I will do most of it over time. Now on to system maintenance.
    Congratulations! Hopefully that is the last MS product you will ever need to buy

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by coldraven View Post
    Congratulations! Hopefully that is the last MS product you will ever need to buy
    After weeks of struggling to get MS's OS hooks out of me and save 25 years of MS application produced data, it's certainly the last MS machine I'll ever buy, who knows what applications MS will buy and monopolize in the future, but as long as it runs on XP and doesn't require Internet access, I'll do what it takes to get the job done until something comes along to replace it.

MS insisted that I make this transition to xUbuntu and who am I to argue with MS, they've known about security flaws in their OS the decades, but instead of fixing them (Ubuntu doesn't have them, so they can be fixed), they profit from the misfortune of their customers.

When you setup Windows so it can't can't call MS, the OS hounds you daily (“your system is at risk”), but MS doesn't hound you daily or even once to make a recovery disk, MS profits if you have to buy a replacement OS, and viruses certainly can cause OS reloads, I no longer can (or have to) support MS's business practices.

Thanks for your time and help.

Beans

Now that my new configuration has been up and running for a few days, I like to publicly thank Duckhook and sudodos for all their time, recommendations, and help with configuring and system, it is operating very transparently.

I always felt, that if I put one foot in front of the other, eventualy, I'd get to where I'm going, and now that I'm there, I'm starting to forget the work it took to get here. I'm already starting to focus on alterative engery experiments again, so I wanted to say this before I'm engrossed it that.

Beans

What an extremely useful thread this has been; thanks to all who've contributed. Excellent, clear advice and an OP who just wouldn't quit.

I'm looking to do a similar thing myself, but with the following differences. I wonder if anyone could advise if this might present problems.

The main PC I used to use for work in my home office, an old Fujitsu-Siemens Esprimo, recently had its motherboard fried. So I've taken the hard disk out and grabbed the essential files I need and I'm back working on my new machine. However, for various reasons I'd like to have a go at making a virtual machine from my old system (which ran XP).

Of course, the problem is that the machine won't even boot as far as the BIOS, which makes it impossible to run dmidecode, even from a live disc. Fortunately, a colleague has exactly the same PC model and is going to send me a copy of the output from running dmidecode (Windows version) on his machine. So I'm hoping that I can use coldraven's trick to change the VirtualBox BOIS settings as required to mimic an Esprimo. I'll then either use the Esprimo's recovery disc or (better still, if it works) a CloneZilla copy I made of the Esprimo's hard disk to hopefully recreate my old PC in a VirtualBox guest machine as best I can.

The only thing that worries me is the DmiSystemSerial and DmiSystemUuid settings, as these won't be the same as on my PC. So my question is essentially, will this matter? Are these fields typically checked by an OEM installation, and if so, will it invalidate the EULA to be running my new VM at the same time as my colleague's PC is online?

(Apologies that my first post here is in the "Other OS/Distro" forum, but this was by far the best and most recent thread I could find on the subject. Oh and my main job is as a Linux sysadmin, so I'll be sticking around here.)

Beans

I'm certainly not an expert, but MS may look at the DmiSystemSerial and DmiSystemUuid for authentication, I really don't know, but if they do, your fears may be justifiable. I'd just buy a Dell OEM cd, I've seen them as low as $17.00 on Google Shopping.

I don't let XP communicate with the Internet at all, Internet communications only can happen with xUbuntu, the one and only time I let XP communicate with the Internet was to register, and now that reregistration is done, XP is only lives off-line.

XP cries twice when it boots up that it can't call MS, once that my “System may be at risk” then to “To keep my computer up to date”, but XP is pretty stable after 10 years and I'm not ever planning to let MS “update” it.

Good luck, I'm happy with my xUbuntu/Virtialbox XP configuation.

Beans

Thanks, Curbie. I'll hopefully be giving this a try later today.

Now that I've slept on it, though, I think maybe what I can do is to use the values of DmiSystemSerial and DmiSystemUuid from my own host PC, and all the other settings from my colleague's Esprimo. But I'll play around with the settings, see what works and report back.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

@DuffPaddy
    This is from memory so it will be a bit vague.
    If you dig into the folders on the OEM disc you will find one called Fujitsu.
    In the folder are some strings.
    My guess is that it makes a hash of the makers string and some of the BIOS strings and uses that for activation.
    I tried once to use my Restore disc in a different brand computer and it immediately knew that it was from a another manufacturer so it must check those strings first.

One thing is certain. Before XP is unsupported in 2014 I will let it do a full update and then lock the VM in a lead lined box under my bed and never let it near the internet again

Good luck!

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast