Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Games close almost instantly?

Beans

Angry Games close almost instantly?

Okay, so I'm fairly new to this whole idea of Linux and Ubuntu, but I'm not terribly helpless when it comes to computers in general. Despite this, I'm having an issue with launching any kind of game. I downloaded and installed both Amnesia: The Dark Descent, and Bastion. For both games, give or take 10 seconds after it launches and the games start to load, they just close and there's no error message or anything telling me why exactly this is happening. Has anyone run into any issues like this or have any idea how to fix it? I've heard great things about both games and would be sorely disappointed if this problem cannot be resolved. Thanks in advance!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Budgie Development Release

Re: Games close almost instantly?

Welcome to the ubuntuforums

We need a bit more information than that to help you.
    Which Ubuntu version do you have? And is it 32-bit or 64-bit?
    Also the specifications of you computer (RAM, Video card, etc.)
    How did you install these games? (steam, ubuntu software center, manual download/install).

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Post Re: Games close almost instantly?

I have a feeling you haven't installed your graphics drivers yet? If you haven't installed any graphics drivers, it's safe to assume Ubuntu is using the Open Source driver for your card whether it be AMD/ATi or Nvidia (which could be the reason why your games aren't able to run).

The Open Source drivers are not up to par with the proprietary drivers yet, meaning less performance or sometimes inability to play the game.

---------------------------
    NOTE: before trying to install the drivers like below, please update Ubuntu and do the following to keep yourself safe from experiencing problems later on.

Open a Terminal and input this:
    sudo apt-get install linux-headers-generic

Hit enter, and when it asks for your password just put it in and hit Enter again. It may ask [Y/n], just hit "y" and Enter again. Now you're ready to follow the below instructions.
    ---------------------------

In Ubuntu's Dash, search for System Settings. On the top right select the "Additional Drivers" tab.

If you're using an AMD/ATi card, make sure that you have fglrx-updates or I think it's now called post-release driver selected. Then hit Apply Changes and restart your computer.

If you're using an Nvidia card, make sure you have the 310 drivers selected (will be called experimental-310, you can try experimental-304 too). Then hit Apply Changes and restart your computer.

If you're using an Intel Integrated graphics card, then you shouldn't have to do anything. It should already be installed automatically.

Hopefully this helps you, but this might not be the issue you're having either. I personally use the Nvidia 310 experimental drivers, and can play all my games at 1080p with full settings.

If you could help list your graphics card Vendor Name and model that would be great (e.g Nvidia GTX 680 or AMD/ATi HD7970).

P.S: If you don't know how to find the Terminal, just open Ubuntu's Dash and search for 'Terminal' without the quotes.

Beans

Sorry for being vague about the details of my hardware/software but I'm running 32 bit 12.04 Ubuntu and I'm not sure how to find my graphics card vendor name and model so if you could point me in the direction for that I could tell you.

Oh and I manually downloaded and installed both games if that helps!

AND I went through the get install linux headers generic process with the terminal but afterwards the additional drivers tab was empty?
    Last edited by mvdonofrio; February 25th, 2013 at 09:42 PM. Reason: forgotten detail AGAIN

Beans
    Distro

Alright, this sounds like you might be using an older AMD/ATi card. Which is why no driver is appearing in the Additional Drivers tab.

Just to be sure, open a Terminal and enter this:
    Code:
    sudo lspci | grep -i vga
    This should return what graphics card you have. Paste the output here so we can try and further help you.

Beans

00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation Mobile 4 Series Chipset Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 07)

Beans
    Distro

Are you perhaps using a laptop/notebook/netbook?

Your output shows that you're using an Intel Integrated Graphics solution. This card doesn't have the power to play most games. However, you should at least be able to play Bastion (this is just my assumption however).

Since it's an Intel card, this means that your drivers are already automatically installed.

What resolution are you running your screen at? From other forums, anyone using this integrated solution has to run everything as low as possible to get their games running.

Are there any 2D games you have that you can test?

Are you able to run glxgears? Open a terminal and type:
    Code:
    glxgears
    Do 3 colored gears appear?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Gnome 13.10 Saucy Salamander

You try launching it from terminal? And +1 for checking that you have the right graphics driver.

Beans

Honestly I'm not sure how to launch it from the terminal but I could try if you could point me in the right direction for that lol but I'll try running glxgears when I get home in about 20 minutes

Beans

i ran glxgears and the 3 colored gears did appear if that helps

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast