Thread: Rhythmbox imports .log files in library

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Rhythmbox imports .log files in library

Hi,

I have noticed that .log files are included in my rhythmbox's library and as a result the playback stops when ever it tries to play one.
    Is that normal? How do I get rid of those .log files in the library?

Thanks.

Beans
    Distro

Re: Rhythmbox imports .log files in library

Anybody?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

You mean these files are getting imported into your playlist and are being displayed alongside actual audio??? I have had many log files and playlist files, etc. reported as importing errors in Rhythmbox but never anything non-audio "successfully" imported into my library!

I guess the first two things I'd try are:

1) removing the files from your library
    If you have set Rhythmbox to auto-import files from your Music directory ("watch for new files" it may be called in the preferences dialogue) these files may well end up right back in your library.

2) remove the offending files from the directory(ies) from which Rhythmbox forms it's library
    All of my music is in ~/Music and I have set Rhythmbox to "watch" that directory for new material. Whenever I get something new, I simply drag and drop it into ~/Music and by the time I look for it, Rhythmbox has imported it. I ensure that ~/Music is free of files that are unnecessary: I prune album cover .jpg's, playlist files and .txt files before placing music in ~/Music.
    --
    uc50_ic4more

Beans
    Distro

Thanks for the reply!

I also find it weird but yes that's the case: I have .log files in my playlist (the extension .log is also displayed) and rhythmbox stops playback whenever it bumps into one.
    I deleted them, but next time I started rhythmbox they appeared again.
    I even deleted the Rhythmbox database in ~/.local/share/rhythmbox/rhythmdb.xml. But when I imported the music folder they appeared again.
    I could disable the "watch for new files", but I want to keep my library updated.
    I have ripped my cds and I keep music files as well as .log, .cue, .jpg files in each cd's folder, so it's hard and I do not want to separate them.

I don't have that issue with other players (exaile, guayadeque, clementine..).
    I like rhytmbox's search engine (not all my music is properly labeled), so I want to be using it..