Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to create a USB flash drive without the spyware?

Beans

How to create a USB flash drive without the spyware?

I tried to create an Ubuntu USB flash drive with the “persistence” option turned on with the Universal-USB-Installer, because I wanted to remove the spyware feature and not have to do it every single time I boot from the USB drive, but Ubuntu was incredibly slow with the persistence file.

So, I re-created the USB drive without the persistence file. But now I have to manually remove the spyware every time I use it.

Is there a modified ISO image I could download that doesn't have the spyware? Any other solutions?

Beans

Re: How to create a USB flash drive without the spyware?

You can try another version that doesn't include the spyware, like Lubuntu, Xubuntu or Ubuntu Gnome Remix, or you can switch to Linux Mint (which is 99% Ubuntu, too, under the hood).

Or you can create a custom LiveCD as described here: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/LiveCDCustomization

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

I'm using Debian with XFCE on a USB stick right now. I started up the Debian CD in a Virtualbox machine and installed it directly onto the USB as if it were a regular hard drive. I never found the persistent option installs to be satisfactory, but this Debian install is working great. It takes a little more effort to get Debian up and running OK, but it's worth it. Very quick and efficient and low memory usage.

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by axel668 View Post
    You can try another version that doesn't include the spyware, like Lubuntu, Xubuntu or Ubuntu Gnome Remix, or you can switch to Linux Mint (which is 99% Ubuntu, too, under the hood).

Or you can create a custom LiveCD as described here: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/LiveCDCustomization
    +1
    Not only that, they are faster to boot and to run too, particularly Lubuntu with the ultra light-weight desktop environment LXDE

Beans

I had almost forgotten about Xubuntu and Lubuntu, thanks for reminding me.

I'll try them. It looks like they aren't as bloated as Ubuntu, which is another bonus. I'll also give Debian a try later.

prodigy_ is offline May the Ubuntu Be With You!
    Beans

Low performance with persistence is a result of frequent writes. Mounting / with noatime and removing journal with
    Code:
    tune2fs -O ^has_journal $(mount -l|grep " on / "|cut -d' ' -f1)
    could help a lot.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Pardon my ignorance, but what is the spyware on the USB stick?

It sounds like something Ubuntu is installing when formatting....

A little scary here.
    Main WS: Compaq Presario/Athelon X2 4450e Dual Core/3GB RAM/G-Force 210 64bit 1024k RAM Monitors: Compaq WF 1907 & Vizio M220VA --- Ubuntu 12.04 LTS
    UbuntuGuide Help Ubuntu

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by n4pgw View Post
    Pardon my ignorance, but what is the spyware on the USB stick?

It sounds like something Ubuntu is installing when formatting....

A little scary here.
    Don't be scared, it's just a search engine. People spreading FUD have called it "spyware" but it's no more spyware than Google.com.
    I try to treat the cause, not the symptom. I avoid the terminal in instructions, unless it's easier or necessary. My instructions will work within the Ubuntu system, instead of breaking or subverting it. Those are the three guarantees to the helpee.

Beans

It annoys me people using Ubuntu and being so down on it for trying to make it support itself. If the price of free software is an easily removed link to Amazon why complain. There are plenty of distros out there that you could use instead.
    pentium4 geforce 9400 1gb ram

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by 3rdalbum View Post
    Don't be scared, it's just a search engine. People spreading FUD have called it "spyware" but it's no more spyware than Google.com.
    Ubuntu should NOT send users' personal information to anyone by default if they search for their own files! This is unbelievable.

New users might not even know how to disable it right away. And if you go to google.com you know that you are searching the web, not from your own files.

And to make it even worse, the results are sent back over plain HTTP, so that anyone could easily listen in between. Why don't you fetch the images over HTTPS at the very least?
    Last edited by susanne260; February 24th, 2013 at 01:10 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast