Thread: Windows XP to Ubuntu 12.04 - Without Samba

Beans

Windows XP to Ubuntu 12.04 - Without Samba

Hello there,

I'm trying to network a machine running XP to one running Ubuntu, for the purpose of sharing files. I've done some searching and see a lot of stuff about Samba, but installing new software is a pain in the ass, and I should think that running FTP between two machines doesn't require Samba.

I've got a switch and two straight-through cables, and I'm not quite sure why I'm not seeing the other machine on the network. Obviously I've configured both to use private IP addresses (192.168.0.1 and 192.168.0.2, mask /24), instead of looking for non-existent DHCP servers.

So, what am I missing? The above solution should work, right? I should at least be filling my ARP tables on either side, right?

Thanks a bunch,
    Steve

ahallubuntu is offline Chocolate-Covered Ubuntu Beans
    Beans

Re: Windows XP to Ubuntu 12.04 - Without Samba

~
    Last edited by ahallubuntu; June 27th, 2013 at 03:56 AM.

Beans

Re: Windows XP to Ubuntu 12.04 - Without Samba

I'm pretty limited in hard disk space on the Ubuntu side, which is why I'd like to transfer files around. As to the router thing, I'm a poor college student, in a small town, and snowed in.

But apparently my solution actually was working - fun fact: Windows XP does not, by default, respond to ICMP echo requests. You have to explicitly allow that in the Windows Firewall

Thanks anyway