Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: ftp server

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Re: ftp server

Did you specify port 22 in Filezilla connection setting?
    Nothing is ever easy, but if it is difficult you must be doing it wrong.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by volkswagner View Post
    Did you specify port 22 in Filezilla connection setting?
    Yes I did. I even tried to change to 2222 to both server and Filezilla but it didn;t work either

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Don't ever use vsftpd for your server. I installed it and it refuses to be removed unless you modify its config file.

I don't know if the problem exists in 12.04, but this software is crap. Use something else.

Cheers,
    Nvidia 525M and bumblebee 3.x

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by tenmoi View Post
    Don't ever use vsftpd for your server. I installed it and it refuses to be removed unless you modify its config file.

I don't know if the problem exists in 12.04, but this software is crap. Use something else.

Cheers,
    I 've seen many ppl saying this! Thanks for the tip!

Beans

Well huh, I am running Ubuntu Server 12.0.4.2 on a dedicated file server and have had vsftpd running for 8 or 9 months now and haven't had any problems with it whatsoever. I don't use Windows on the workstation, I have Desktop 12.0.4.2 on it and I can access my ftp server 3 different ways. 2 different ways with nautilus and 1 with firefox. I have it setup for anonymous download only and it works fine. Of course you mentioned you are using a Windows client and Filezilla so that is another animal.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Quote Originally Posted by tenmoi View Post
    this software is crap. Use something else.
    Just because you can't figure out how to make something work doesn't make it "crap." I've been using vsftpd in production for quite a few months now and have not had any problems. Once I got it up-and-running, adding new accounts and expanding its use has been extremely easy to maintain. The steps I documented in my sig on how to set it up can be repeated by anyone to make a similar server.

LHammonds

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Maybe 'crap' is too strong a word. But it's not reliable software as it has a bug that's been in existence since 8.10 or so. Don't ever google or ask here how you can remove it.
    Nvidia 525M and bumblebee 3.x

Beans

Well since the software runs and runs reliably on my server I have no need to remove it. As a matter of fact, I just switched it from anonymous to user account login and configured it to allow only me to upload and all others download only. It works fine here.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12