Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ftp server

Beans

Question ftp server

Hello,
    this is my first post on this forum and my really first attempt to build up my own server.
    I have never set up a server before so some things might not be obvious for me .

I have downloaded the Ubuntu server 12.04 version and I am willing to install it to my laptop to use it as a server with remote access over the internet.

My primary goals are:
    1. to have access with an FTP client over the internet to the files stored on the server
    2. and create (remotely) my own databases using mySQL

I would love if someone could tell me how to make this happen!

As I mentioned this is my first try to do something like that so please be as specific as you can.
    thanks a lot

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: ftp server

A good place to start is the sticky at the top of the server forum. Go to the Server 10.04 documentation.

A few more details on your setup will be helpful.

What type of client are you connecting with (Windows, Mac OSX, Linux)?
    How many users will be connecting?

FTP is not a secure protocol. You should be looking at SFTP for connections over the internet. This can be accomplished over ssh or using an FTP client like Filezilla's SFTP connection.

You can administer MySQL using the command line (via ssh) or you can install a frontend like PHPmyAdmin.

Get familiar using SSH.
    Nothing is ever easy, but if it is difficult you must be doing it wrong.

Beans

I am willing to use only windows to connect.
    I don't really care about the number of users. I would say just 2 at a time.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Amor cuerdo, no es Amor.

Beans

I will go through the link that VW gave me about SSH.
    As it concerns the guide donnie I' ve already tried to configure my laptop using this. It didn't work out well. I was getting errors during the setup and messages telling me that the commands/files etc. have not been found. That's why I came here.
    Also, how should I configure my network? Do I need a static IP? If so how do I set it? Do i need to make any changes to the router?
    How should I configure the ssh?
    Last edited by mourgolikos; February 24th, 2013 at 02:27 PM.

Beans

I installed the 32-bit Ubuntu server 12.04 without the LTS.
    Then I gave a look at the SSH guide and I followed step by step the instructions to set up the SFTP server from here
    How do I access my server now?
    I get an error saying connection refused
    Last edited by mourgolikos; February 24th, 2013 at 11:12 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

You get connection refused while using an ftp client?

Are you trying from local LAN or outside of your LAN? You should verify you can access the server internally, then open the correct port on your router, pointing to your servers internal ip address. This will allow outside access to the ftp server.

I have never seen instructions like the one you followed for sftp setup. I have no idea what the edits to ssh_config mean, nor why they would be necessary.

According to the instructions you followed, you will likely need user accounts for "yourself". One account will be the normal user for system administration (allowing ssh access) and the second will be your ftp account. Is this what you have done?
    Nothing is ever easy, but if it is difficult you must be doing it wrong.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Not sure if this would directly help you but I have documented how I install an Ubuntu Server for production use in my signature. I also have documented how to setup FTPS (FTP over SSL) using Very Secure FTP daemon (vsftpd). I also have a guide for MySQL server too.

Once you have your server setup and can connect to it from another machine inside your network, you will need to figure out how to get your router/switch/modem configured to allow outside traffic to be directed to your server (routing IP addresses and ports). You will need to know the IP address that the entire world sees you (go to www.whatismyip.com). If this IP address changes (non-static) then you might want to look at a dynamic DNS service so you can always find your home connection no matter where you are.

LHammonds

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by volkswagner View Post
    You get connection refused while using an ftp client?

Are you trying from local LAN or outside of your LAN? You should verify you can access the server internally, then open the correct port on your router, pointing to your servers internal ip address. This will allow outside access to the ftp server.

I have never seen instructions like the one you followed for sftp setup. I have no idea what the edits to ssh_config mean, nor why they would be necessary.

According to the instructions you followed, you will likely need user accounts for "yourself". One account will be the normal user for system administration (allowing ssh access) and the second will be your ftp account. Is this what you have done?
    I get that error while trying to connect with filezilla from my laptop which is connected to the same connection via wireless. I am pointing my servers ip address (the one showing up when I type "ifconfig eth0). I have been using the same account for everything though.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by LHammonds View Post
    Not sure if this would directly help you but I have documented how I install an Ubuntu Server for production use in my signature. I also have documented how to setup FTPS (FTP over SSL) using Very Secure FTP daemon (vsftpd). I also have a guide for MySQL server too.

Once you have your server setup and can connect to it from another machine inside your network, you will need to figure out how to get your router/switch/modem configured to allow outside traffic to be directed to your server (routing IP addresses and ports). You will need to know the IP address that the entire world sees you (go to www.whatismyip.com). If this IP address changes (non-static) then you might want to look at a dynamic DNS service so you can always find your home connection no matter where you are.

LHammonds
    I might reinstall the OS again and then follow your guides so it would be easier for you guys to help me!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast