Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Fedora 18 tryout

Beans

Re: Fedora 18 tryout

Quote Originally Posted by malspa View Post
    I've got Fedora 18 (GNOME) running here. Looks very good so far (a little over a month since I installed it), but I'm not quite sure I'd go this far:

But I'd have a difficult time calling any distro "the best."

Anyway, the new Anaconda isn't perfect, but I installed F18 without too much difficulty; multi-boot set-up.

I normally create my partitions ahead of time, usually with GParted, sometimes with KDE Partition Manager.
    I didnt say it was the best, I said the "best distro to date for me" meaning in my long running experience of Linux, F18 as proven itself to be my favourite and least problematic for "me" and so therefore my best.

I have no doubt others will not like it, wont get on with it or it simply wont work for them.

There is no best, only the best for "you". Everyone's mileage will vary as always.

Peace
    Last edited by haqking; February 25th, 2013 at 07:43 PM.
    Backtrack - Giving machine guns to monkeys since 2006
    Kali-Linux - Adding a grenade launcher to the machine guns since 2013

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Quote Originally Posted by haqking View Post
    I didnt say it was the best, I said the "best for me" meaning in my long running experience of Linux F18 as proven itself to be my favourite and least problematic for "me" and so therefore my best.
    Sorry, I did notice that you said "for me," but didn't make note of that in my post. I understand that any use of the term "best" when it comes to Linux distros is gonna be highly subjective. No offense intended.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by BBQdave View Post
    Debian, Linux Mint and Ubuntu default to ext4 - Fedora defaults to LVM.
    Apples and oranges.

LVM is, basically, a way to partition drives to allow easy addition of more drives in the future.

Ext4 is a filesystem.

Two very different things.

Fedora does default to LVM, which is as reasonable as not defaulting to LVM, but changing that takes but one mouse click.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by malspa View Post
    I've got Fedora 18 (GNOME) running here. Looks very good so far (a little over a month since I installed it), but I'm not quite sure I'd go this far:
    If you like docks, look at the Dash to Dock extension. Very nice.

Beans
    Hidden!

All the input has gotten me curious, so I did a reinstall, 17 minutes from Live CD
    in case anyone is interested. I did manage to install to a previous partition, 20 gb.
    Thanks to Charles A for the reclaim space tip. Not sure why but this time I have an improved grub menu, does show my other options.

Can't say that I care for the gnome3 DE, any suggestions on how to dress it up?

One thing that I forgot to mention last time, the install allows you to set a root
    password, first thing. I think this is a huge plus for anyone who wants control
    of their computer, instead of vice-versa. Do any other linux distro's offer this option ?

Without a stopwatch I would say it compares with ubuntu 12.04 for speed. Not bad.

edit; I notice that there is no log out option, at least I can't find one with this DE.
    Also noticed,that the 20gb partition I installed to is now 3 partitions, a 500mb boot,
    a 3.1 swap and 17.1 for the system. It seems to want it's own swap, as there is now 2 swap partitions. The size discrepency is probably due to there being a small amount of
    unallocated available ahead of the 20gb partition prior to install. Also format is ext4.
    Last edited by offgridguy; February 26th, 2013 at 03:04 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

ok ok, I give. Downloading Fedora 18. Going to do a full install and actually try it out for longer than 5 minutes in a virtual machine

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Quote Originally Posted by buzzingrobot View Post
    Fedora does default to LVM, which is as reasonable as not defaulting to LVM, but changing that takes but one mouse click.
    There are three choices, can not remember how they are labeled. But something like this:
    Basic or Standard
    LVM
    and I can not remember the third choice

I always chose Basic, it works best for my purposes.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Quote Originally Posted by offgridguy View Post
    One thing that I forgot to mention last time, the install allows you to set a root
    password, first thing. I think this is a huge plus for anyone who wants control
    of their computer, instead of vice-versa. Do any other linux distro's offer this option ?
    Redhat, Centos and Fedora let you do this.
    Enabling the root user in Ubuntu/Mint/Debian is really easy
    but it's against the rules to post that here.

I really like Fedora but I don't really like Gnome 3...
    This behavior is by design.

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by Armann View Post

I hear you

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Quote Originally Posted by Armann View Post
    The default download is GNOME; they also have KDE, LXDE, and Xfce spins: http://fedoraproject.org/en/get-fedora-options

For my Fedora installations, I've been going back and forth between KDE and GNOME -- I installed F17 KDE, then F18 GNOME, for example. But I'm fine with GNOME Shell...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast