Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 31

Thread: Fedora 18 tryout

  1. #1
    offgridguy's Avatar
    offgridguy is offline Grande Half-n-Half Cinnamon Ubuntu
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Beans
    Hidden!

    Fedora 18 tryout

    After a failed attempt yesterday, I have fedora 18 installed today.
    I don't even know what DE this , something new to me, to soon to pass
    judgement on that.
    I will definitely have to do something to make the screen look more appealing.

    But more to the point, I installed this distro because of this claim they
    make in their advertising

    Desktop: Have you ever tried to use a new printer and been frustrated by error messages and having to hunt for the correct driver to install? With the new easy printing feature in Fedora 14, plug your printer in and Fedora automatically finds and installs the correct driver. This feature allows you to print in many different locations and churn out copies within minutes. It's one of several innovations in Fedora 14 that let you take better advantage of your system's hardware.
    I thought, this sounds too good to be true, and you know what!!
    It is too good be true, but in spite of that, i will work with this
    system for awhile to see if it stays or gets punted.

    One major disadvantage of this OS when installing on a multi-boot computer
    it uses a different partitioner, anaconda{I think}, only likes to install on LVM, needs a separate primary partition from my other OS's and seems
    impervious to gparted's ability to edit, change or delete.

    But it may have some redeeming features in there somewhere, I will be sure
    to mention them if/when I find them.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

    Re: Fedora 18 tryout

    If the version of Fedora you installed was the default, it is running Gnome 3.
    Come to #ubuntuforums! We have cookies! | Basic Ubuntu Security Guide

    Tomorrow's an illusion and yesterday's a dream, today is a solution...

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    The Shadow Gallery
    Beans
    6,803

    Re: Fedora 18 tryout

    Quote Originally Posted by offgridguy View Post
    After a failed attempt yesterday, I have fedora 18 installed today.
    I don't even know what DE this , something new to me, to soon to pass
    judgement on that.
    I will definitely have to do something to make the screen look more appealing.

    But more to the point, I installed this distro because of this claim they
    make in their advertising


    I thought, this sounds too good to be true, and you know what!!
    It is too good be true, but in spite of that, i will work with this
    system for awhile to see if it stays or gets punted.

    One major disadvantage of this OS when installing on a multi-boot computer
    it uses a different partitioner, anaconda{I think}, only likes to install on LVM, needs a separate primary partition from my other OS's and seems
    impervious to gparted's ability to edit, change or delete.

    But it may have some redeeming features in there somewhere, I will be sure
    to mention them if/when I find them.
    Fedora 18 runs rock solid for me, best distro to date for me in all aspects (and I am a long time Slackware, Debian/Ubuntu user and way back in the day Suse and others)

    I am running x64 on modern hardware and not a single issue.

    I am running latest Nvidia 313 driver and again great.

    Referring to your quote which is about F14 and you are running F18 so out of context, however both my Brother Laser and Epson inkjet worked out of the box.

    The fact you dont know what DE you are using even though you downloaded it....mmmmmm no comment. The default is Gnome, i run the KDE spin.

    Anaconda is the installer, you can choose any partitions you created with Gparted (I did) and I am multibooting. And like all Linux OS it does not require a primary, it can sit fine in either a primary or logical. And mine is not on LVM.

    Everyones mileage varies for everything though of course
    Feel Free to Bitcoin Tip: 135Rp4pwwYTHEJ4u8bxKaDQiC91N9LUoV2

    Backtrack - Giving machine guns to monkeys since 2006
    Kali-Linux - Adding a grenade launcher to the machine guns since 2013

  4. #4
    offgridguy's Avatar
    offgridguy is offline Grande Half-n-Half Cinnamon Ubuntu
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Beans
    Hidden!

    Re: Fedora 18 tryout

    Quote Originally Posted by haqking View Post
    Fedora 18 runs rock solid for me, best distro to date for me in all aspects (and I am a long time Slackware, Debian/Ubuntu user and way back in the day Suse and others)

    I am running x64 on modern hardware and not a single issue.

    I am running latest Nvidia 313 driver and again great.

    Referring to your quote which is about F14 and you are running F18 so out of context, however both my Brother Laser and Epson inkjet worked out of the box.

    The fact you dont know what DE you are using even though you downloaded it....mmmmmm no comment. The default is Gnome, i run the KDE spin.

    Anaconda is the installer, you can choose any partitions you created with Gparted (I did) and I am multibooting. And like all Linux OS it does not require a primary, it can sit fine in either a primary or logical. And mine is not on LVM.

    Everyones mileage varies for everything though of course
    I have no intention of a flame war with anyone. I am sure fedora has it's share of supporters. The quote regarding fedora 14 is out of context, but
    it is the quote the seller used in their description selling fedora 18 on
    ebay. I was unsuccessful in installing to a pre-created partition, so
    i let the installer use the free space, where it used LVM, that seems
    to be format it prefers.
    The anaconda installer didn't seem to give me the options that gparted does
    but then I am not real familiar with it either.

    One thing fedora does that no other OS has done is give me a warning message about the core temperature being to high.

    edit; I wasn't real disappointed in the printer , no other linux OS has managed
    that , without some help either.
    Last edited by offgridguy; February 24th, 2013 at 03:52 AM.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    The Shadow Gallery
    Beans
    6,803

    Re: Fedora 18 tryout

    Quote Originally Posted by offgridguy View Post
    I have no intention of a flame war with anyone. I am sure fedora has it's share of supporters. The quote regarding fedora 14 is out of context, but
    it is the quote the seller used in their description selling fedora 18 on
    ebay. I was unsuccessful in installing to a pre-created partition, so
    i let the installer use the free space, where it used LVM, that seems
    to be format it prefers.
    The anaconda installer didn't seem to give me the options that gparted does
    but then I am not real familiar with it either.

    One thing fedora does that no other OS has done is give me a warning message about the core temperature being to high.
    LOL i wasnt flaming, I was merely making corrections to your statements as oppose to what could of been questions to make it clear to others who may be reading. I am not a fanboy of anything, I just prefer specifics and facts thats all.

    There have been alot of reviews about the renewed anaconda installer (which has changed in F18) specifically concerning the partitioner and I agree it is not the best. But the reviews are from people who dont really understand the partitioning or mount points that well which is fair enough. There are plans to address it in F19 i believe. I personally always do my partitions in Gparted, I just used anaconda to mount the partitions I wanted. I did play with the partitioner in a VM to see what it was like and like i say it wasnt the best ive seen.

    Peace

    Why would you buy F18 from ebay ? it is a free download.
    Last edited by haqking; February 24th, 2013 at 01:01 AM.
    Feel Free to Bitcoin Tip: 135Rp4pwwYTHEJ4u8bxKaDQiC91N9LUoV2

    Backtrack - Giving machine guns to monkeys since 2006
    Kali-Linux - Adding a grenade launcher to the machine guns since 2013

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

    Re: Fedora 18 tryout

    I just did a netinstall of Fedora 18 and it let you do the partitions yourself, but when I did it, I had to select "reclaim space" before it let me create new partitions.
    Come to #ubuntuforums! We have cookies! | Basic Ubuntu Security Guide

    Tomorrow's an illusion and yesterday's a dream, today is a solution...

  7. #7
    offgridguy's Avatar
    offgridguy is offline Grande Half-n-Half Cinnamon Ubuntu
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Beans
    Hidden!

    Re: Fedora 18 tryout

    Quote Originally Posted by haqking View Post

    Why would you buy F18 from ebay ? it is a free download.
    Thanks for the reply. Probably a lot of people wonder why I would buy from ebay.

    The answer, My internet service plan only gives me 500mb , every additional 500mb or
    portion thereof costs me an additional $10, monthly rate. I am always over
    the minimum 500mb.{who wouldn't be}. I am not sure what size the fedora download is but say 1500mb, could cost me $30.

    I do download and burn some of my own, but only when i can make it to the
    public library.

  8. #8
    offgridguy's Avatar
    offgridguy is offline Grande Half-n-Half Cinnamon Ubuntu
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Beans
    Hidden!

    Re: Fedora 18 tryout

    Quote Originally Posted by CharlesA View Post
    I just did a netinstall of Fedora 18 and it let you do the partitions yourself, but when I did it, I had to select "reclaim space" before it let me create new partitions.
    Thank you for the info, were you able to use
    the ext4, format?

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    The Shadow Gallery
    Beans
    6,803

    Re: Fedora 18 tryout

    Quote Originally Posted by offgridguy View Post
    Thanks for the reply. Probably a lot of people wonder why I would buy from ebay.

    The answer, My internet service plan only gives me 500mb , every additional 500mb or
    portion thereof costs me an additional $10, monthly rate. I am always over
    the minimum 500mb.{who wouldn't be}. I am not sure what size the fedora download is but say 1500mb, could cost me $30.

    I do download and burn some of my own, but only when i can make it to the
    public library.
    Gotcha, well enjoy your rootkits and remote access trojans.....LOL

    Feel Free to Bitcoin Tip: 135Rp4pwwYTHEJ4u8bxKaDQiC91N9LUoV2

    Backtrack - Giving machine guns to monkeys since 2006
    Kali-Linux - Adding a grenade launcher to the machine guns since 2013

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    The Shadow Gallery
    Beans
    6,803

    Re: Fedora 18 tryout

    Quote Originally Posted by offgridguy View Post
    Thank you for the info, were you able to use
    the ext4, format?
    yes it supports all linux supported formats. ext4 is default now with most modern Linux distros
    Feel Free to Bitcoin Tip: 135Rp4pwwYTHEJ4u8bxKaDQiC91N9LUoV2

    Backtrack - Giving machine guns to monkeys since 2006
    Kali-Linux - Adding a grenade launcher to the machine guns since 2013

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •