Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ubuntu forums crashing chrome

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Ubuntu forums crashing chrome

I've been using google-chrome beta (v 25.0.1364.97 to be exact) for a few days without any problems until today when I used it to log into this forum. As soon as I finish logging in and it begins to redirect away from the login page, all Chrome windows immediately crash. None of that silly "snap" nonsense or any other indication of error. Just gone.

Not just once -- I've logged in about 6 times now & this happens immediately every time.

This isn't happening on any other forum that I've logged into, or any other web pages. Only here. So what's up with that?

I'm running Xubuntu 12.04 32-bit with nouveau driver

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Ubuntu forums crashing chrome

Thread moved to Forum Feedback & Help.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

You could try creating a new profile for Chrome and/or trying to start it without any addons/extensions to see if the problem still occurs.
    Come to #ubuntuforums! We have cookies! | Basic Ubuntu Security Guide

Tomorrow's an illusion and yesterday's a dream, today is a solution...

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

No extensions makes no difference. And I deleted all ubuntu* cookies but it still crashes instantly.

Not sure what you're suggesting regarding a profile.

The only thing I can add is that now cprogramming.com forum is also crashing chrome. Both use vbulletin. Maybe an update to vbulletin was just installed and is causing this.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by r.stiltskin View Post
    The only thing I can add is that now cprogramming.com forum is also crashing chrome. Both use vbulletin. Maybe an update to vbulletin was just installed and is causing this.
    Doubt it, this forum hasn't been updated and works fine in Chrome for other members.

Try starting Chrome in safe mode, if it has one.
    Come to #ubuntuforums! We have cookies! | Basic Ubuntu Security Guide

Tomorrow's an illusion and yesterday's a dream, today is a solution...

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

We have not had an update to vBulletin for nearly a year, but we are scheduled to upgrade to VB 4.2 in a few days time. The cprogramming forum is running 4.2.

I doubt VB is the problem here, but if you want to try some other VB forums to see if they cause the same issue, linuxforums.org, kubuntuforums.net, forums.opensuse.org and fedoraforum.org/forum/ all use vBulletin.
    Ubuntu 20.04 Desktop Guide - Ubuntu 22.04 Desktop Guide - Forum Guide to BBCode - Using BBCode code tags

Member: Not Canonical Team

If you need help with your forum account, such as SSO login issues, username changes, etc, the correct place to contact an admin is here. Please do not PM me about these matters unless you have been asked to - unsolicited PMs concerning forum accounts will be ignored.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

I've tried a bunch of forums using vbulletin, various versions including 4.2.0, 3.8.x and 3.7.x. So far the only ones I found crashing chrome are this one and cprogramming.com.

I just realized that chrome-beta was updated this morning, so it must be something about that update. But still, it's just these two forums.

edit: I posted this issue on google chrome forum. Guess it's their problem.
    Last edited by r.stiltskin; February 24th, 2013 at 12:52 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

I posted this issue on google chrome forum. Guess it's their problem.
    Yes, indeed. Even if a web site is serving really ugly code it should not crash a browser. Please report the bug for the developers to fix.
    Bringing old hardware back to life. About problems due to upgrading.
    Please visit Quick Links -> Unanswered Posts.
    Don't use this space for a list of your hardware. It only creates false hits in the search engines.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

It's reported. Hope they fix it sometime soon.

I notice that this problem only involves the 32 bit versions of chrome/chromium. This hasn't happened on either of my 64 bit machines.

Beans

I can access this forum with (stable, not beta) Chrome 25.0.1364.97 (Official Build 183676) 32-bit. Can you try with a new user profile (chrome://settings)?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast