Thread: Command line File-commands

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Command line File-commands

Hi geniuses!

I used to be so good with DOS and the Windows command line... I'm just not getting it with Linux... too old, probably (ME, not Linux).

I recently bought and installed an external, 1TB USB drive in preparation for 'nuking' my current setup and starting over clean, from empty hard drives. The drive is running fine, no apparent problems, Nautilus seems to be happy with it, reads and writes with no issues.

I've been trying to use the "cp" command to do an incremental-backup type operation. Basically, I'd like for "cp" to copy only those files that have been changed, or are completely new and don't exist in the destination folder(s) at all, so I don't have to sit there and babysit Nautilus when it sees things it doesn't know what to do with. Reason for all this is that I copied the "home" directory (the only one I'm interested in saving) external USB drive, using Nautilus, but I've been continuing to use 10.10 to do other things, getting ready to pull the plug, and I'd like to ensure that any new or changed files anywhere within the "home" directory or it's sub-directories get copied over before i pull the trigger.

I'm not using a dedicated backup app because my current install (10.10) has become so squirrely that it won't install or even upgrade a LOT of things, this among them. Given the level of weirdness of this install, I'm going "tabula rasa" and starting blank-disc clean.

Problem is, when I try to use this command in Terminal, from the source directory (home):

cp -r -u -v / 1Tb Xtrnl Backup/Home Folder

terminal returns the error:

"cp: target 'Folder' is not a directory"

????

I tried using "1TbXtrnlBackup/HomeFolder", and terminal returns:

"cp: missing destination file operand after '/HomeFolder" or "cp: cannot create directory '1TbXtrnlBackup/HomeFolder' : No such file or directory"

I should probably note here that when I type:
    "cd /", then type "dir" or "ls", the external drive does not appear, even though Nautilus sees it just fine.

I haven't been able to find any examples of any similar problem anywhere, so here I be, hat in hand.

I'm especially puzzled by terminal's failure to display an existing drive that Nautilus does. I think that's probably the root of my difficulties, but I'm at a complete loss as to where to go with it (other than here, of course } )

Any thoughts greatly appreciated; I'm really looking forward to catching up with everyone else, and having a stable, fully-working install again!

Karl

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Re: Command line File-commands

you should see the drive under /media/

also use double quotes for names that contain spaces i.e. "Home Folder"

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Consider rsync, which is designed to do exactly what you want with aplomb.

Re: commands: You must escape all spaces, ergo (in your example):
    Code:
    cp -r -u -v /1Tb\ Xtrnl\ Backup/Home\ Folder
    or perhaps the more human readable way with double quote marks:
    Code:
    cp -r -u -v /"1Tb Xtrnl Backup"/"Home Folder"
    Best not to use spaces in Linux. I substitute with the underscore (_).
    Last edited by DuckHook; February 23rd, 2013 at 10:42 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!

+1 for double quoting, otherwise names with spaces are regarded as separate parameters. This is actually the same in MSDOS.

I use this mini-script for incremental backup with cp

Code:
    #! /bin/bash

echo simple backup script using cp -auv SOURCE[directory]... DESTINATION_directory
    echo cp -auv $*
    echo press {ENTER} to continue or {CtrlC} to quit
    read
    cp -auv $*
    But soon you will be ready for rsync. The manual is very well written and contains several examples.
    Code:
    man rsync
    Rsync can also be used for backup between computers via the network.

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by Karl10 View Post
    Reason for all this is that I copied the "home" directory (the only one I'm interested in saving) external USB drive, using Nautilus, but I've been continuing to use 10.10 to do other things, getting ready to pull the plug, and I'd like to ensure that any new or changed files anywhere within the "home" directory or it's sub-directories get copied over before i pull the trigger.
    To copy from your home directory to an external USB drive, the cp arguments should look something like
    Code:
    cp -auv ~ "/media/mountpoint_of_your_external_drive/${HOME##*/}"
    where ~ and ${HOME} are just two fancy ways to specify your home directory.

You'll see what the mountpoint_of_your_external_drive is by issuing ls /media. It's usually either the label or, if the disk has none, the device name of your external hard drive. If your drive as I guess has an NTFS filesystem on it then
    Code:
    blkid -t TYPE=ntfs -o list
    will show its device name, and, optionally, its label. The mount point is also shown there.

The first argument (~) is the source, the second is the destination of your copy operation.

Similar arguments can be used with rsync, too.
    Last edited by schragge; February 23rd, 2013 at 11:45 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Quote Originally Posted by Karl10 View Post
    I used to be so good with DOS and the Windows command line... I'm just not getting it with Linux... too old, probably (ME, not Linux).
    It's not you. It can't be you. Such self-flagellation is simply not permissible. We old geezers have to stick up for each other. I'm an old DOS warhorse like you (going back even further, actually), but comparing Linux to DOS is comparing a BMW to a tricycle. I've found that the following resources are great for new users.

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/CommandLineResources
    http://linuxcommand.org/lc3_learning_the_shell.php

More advanced but absurdly useful is:

http://sourceforge.net/projects/linu...2.pdf/download

...enjoy!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Thanks Everyone,

Chugging away as we 'speak'.

Going to have to set aside a chunk of time each day to learn one new command. Ain't gonna let it get the best of me!