Thread: gksudo fail with every GUI programs (cannot open display)

Beans

gksudo fail with every GUI programs (cannot open display)

Hello everyone!

I've this weird problems on my ubuntu 12.04.2 machine with gnome-shell 3.4, gnome3 PPA and some backports from quantal:

gksudo doesn't work anymore and it just says "cannot open display" when I try "gksudo gedit", but if I try "gksudo nautilus" it just silently fails. same for almost every other GUI programs.
    If I do "sudo su" and then "nautilus" same behaviour.
    pkexec works smoothly
    echo DISPLAY says :0
    under unity same behaviour
    already checked forums allaround

I didn't change anything manually in the recent period but a "normal" upgrade changed all the xorg packages under the rule of the xserver-xorg-renamed so all of these packages now has a -lts-quantal in their names. I can't confirm if the issue appear in that moment.

Aside from that I can't install extensions from the website with any browser and I don't know if the issues are realted.

thanks to anyone who can help

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Re: gksudo fail with every GUI programs (cannot open display)

You has to have ppa's and backport software corresponding to your distro: precise pangolin. You cannot mix with software corresponding to the quantal quetzal release. Disable the quantal software in software sources as well as quantal backports. Then update your system

Beans

Re: gksudo fails with every GUI programs (cannot open display)

thanks, well actually, I didn't mix the repo. the xorg packeges ar just from "precise-update" repository branch so I think it's ok. indeed I've already ppa-purged the xswat-qlts-backport PPA.

...I don't really want to reinstall everything and since i have separate home I could bump into the same problem after the reinstall.
    .. and I've already reset gnome settings.
    I think it's something related to X but I can't understand what is it and since that how to solve.

anyone any clues?

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Hi!, claracc,

The 'lts-quantal' files and backports are all part of the standard 12.04.2 installation to permit the use of the 3.5.0-xx kernal, in place of the 3.2.0-xx kernal still used in 12.04.1, and the updated version to 12.04.2.

DO NOT delete them!! nor uninstall them!!

Chao!, bogan.
    "Better Solutions may bring Worsened Problems": After Lao Tse, b. circa 405BC. a contemporary of Confucius, who died circa 600BC.
    They did things differently in those days, apparently!!

Beans

thanks Bogan,

you just confirmed my suspect, so apparently everything is fine.
    Any clue where the problem is?

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Quote Originally Posted by Jnfn View Post
    thanks Bogan,

you just confirmed my suspect, so apparently everything is fine.
    Any clue where the problem is?
    Not in any detail, its a bug, dependancies being called that do not exist or have not been updated.

Frankly, I am amazed that the upgrade works as well as it does, and so few programs fail to run. Unfortunate that some of them are certain nvidia driver installers and 'Steam'.

Chao!, bogan.
    "Better Solutions may bring Worsened Problems": After Lao Tse, b. circa 405BC. a contemporary of Confucius, who died circa 600BC.
    They did things differently in those days, apparently!!

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by bogan View Post
    Frankly, I am amazed that the upgrade works as well as it does, and so few programs fail to run. Unfortunate that some of them are certain nvidia driver installers and 'Steam'.

Chao!, bogan.
    I'm using the 3.5 kernel and via terminal the installation of nvidia driver worked smoothly, I don't know about steam..it's an old laptop