Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: iso burn and download

Beans

iso burn and download

To download the ubuntu 12.04 it says to have the cd or stick handy, do you have to burn it as you download it?

i have a 32 bit vist and a 64 bit win 7, it says 32 bit recommended?

usually you "save" then burn?
    tks

Beans

Re: iso burn and download

Quote Originally Posted by rchubcitywihwy1480 View Post
    usually you "save" then burn?
    And that's exactly what to do...

32 is recommended because it is pretty much guaranteed to work on both 32 and 64 bit machines, whereas 64 bit obviously needs a 64 bit capable machine.

Sounds like 64 bit is what you want.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I use the 12.04 64 bit version and have no problems, therefore, I can only recommend it.

If the machine is 64 bit I would take 64 bit OS.

%%%%

If you use CD:
    1. download + save
    2. burn
    3. Install

If you make installation from USB-stick, I don't know how to make the 2nd step.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

I would say that it depends on the amount of RAM you have installed. For 64 bit system you need minimum 4 GB RAM in your Pc
    Ubuntu testing release

Ubuntu User # 15479
    Linux User # 448500

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmyfj View Post
    I would say that it depends on the amount of RAM you have installed. For 64 bit system you need minimum 4 GB RAM in your Pc
    you dont need 4Gb ram to use x64.

x64 can address more RAM than x86 32 bit but it doesnt mean you "need" 4 Gb ram,.

I am running x64 Fedora right now with 4 windows open including a browser with 8 tabs and a VM running, I am using a total of 2.2GB ram. (though I have 16)
    Last edited by haqking; February 23rd, 2013 at 08:14 PM.
    Backtrack - Giving machine guns to monkeys since 2006
    Kali-Linux - Adding a grenade launcher to the machine guns since 2013

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmyfj View Post
    I'm no expert and I don't want argue, but I have only 3GB RAM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

And I only have 1GB and Ubuntu works fine - 12.04, 12.10 and 13.04 under development. Which I am using now with 2 Libreoffice documents open, Chromium with 3 tabs including streaming a BBC radio program and System Monitor says I am using 78% RAM.

The minimum memory requirement for Ubuntu 12.10 is 768 MB of memory and 5 GB of disk space for Ubuntu Desktop. Note that some of your system's memory may be unavailable due to being used by the graphics card. If your computer has only the minimum amount of memory, the installation process will take longer than normal; however, it will complete successfully, and the system will perform adequately once installed.
    https://wiki.ubuntu.com/QuantalQuetz.../UbuntuDesktop

Regards.
    It is a machine. It is more stupid than we are. It will not stop us from doing stupid things.
    Ubuntu user #33,200. Linux user #530,530

Beans

A cousin of mine is trying to get me running ubuntu, i have win 7 toshiba 64 bit c655 laptop, wifi connected through my desktop and linksys router, 4 g ram 320gb hd, only about 10 gb free presently.

when you use the iso ubuntu, do you fully install or just run from the cd and when you shut down, you close out everything and remove the cd, you are back to windows, is the iso the live cd?

on the cd live web page, "desktop" is referred to, is that just a general term or does it mean a desktop pc period?
    http://livecdlist.com/

it's just onboard video on this pc also, do i need a dedicated video card?

thanks to all

i may buy another laptop to do this,, suggestions?

i think i have a 10.4 or 11 version i was mailed, could i use those?

what am i missing i have been a member 6 years and still haven't done this?
    Last edited by rchubcitywihwy1480; February 24th, 2013 at 06:14 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

As I mentioned before I'm no expert either, but before someone more competent gives you better answers I try to help you.

It seems to me that you try do it right and are little bit scared of doing something wrong. But in normal case it is not so difficult get Ubuntu to run.

You mentioned you have also eldery distributions of Ubuntu. You can use them but why? The only reason can be that they maybe don't need so much space on HDD (But I don't know if it is so) and that they may run maybe little bit faster if the pc is old. If you have no special reason is the 12.04 LTS in my opinion better. The elder distros have the disadvantage that they are not up to date, which can bring you some problems.

I have more then 10GB space on my HDD for Ubuntu and can not say if 10 GB are sufficient. For the operating system (OS) maybe, but if you add some programs maybe you sometimes reach limits of the space. If you take 20GB it will be enough. If you don't have enough space on HDD then clean up the HDD at first or copy some data to external HDD. But I'm sure you definitively don't need a new PC because of UBUNTU. For making more space on HDD for Ubuntu look for partitioning. If you want install additionally OS on pc you have to partition your HDD in any case. Before partitioning you should make defragmentation under windows, or at least it was so when I used win XP.

From your text I understand that you have already one cd with the Ubuntu iso on it.

Then put the CD in PC and start it at first without installation to see if it is running. If you use it this way maybe some functionality doesn't work (this is normal). But you can check if your graphic card is supported etc. and if you like it. But this modus is not intended for really working with Ubuntu. This modus doesn't make any changes on the HDD, that means after shut down Ubuntu everything will be like before.

If you want really use Ubuntu you have to install it properly. - make install - choose the free space on HDD - create SWAP and \root (and maybe separately \home).

After the installation from CD connect at first your pc per cable to the internet (in case your W-lan card isn't directly supported after installation from CD), make updates and install additional drivers (for example for W-lan) and programs.

and BACKUP YOUR IMPORTANT DATA BEFORE INSTALLATION OR DEFRAGMENTATION in case something goes wrong.

good luck
    Last edited by doja; February 24th, 2013 at 04:05 PM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by rchubcitywihwy1480 View Post
    A cousin of mine is trying to get me running ubuntu, i have win 7 toshiba 64 bit c655 laptop, wifi connected through my desktop and linksys router, 4 g ram 320gb hd, only about 10 gb free presently.
    Are you sure you only have 10 gigs free ?

In other words you have 310 gig of data on the machine ? If that is the case you probably need that free space for the smooth running of your Windows installation.

when you use the iso ubuntu, do you fully install or just run from the cd and when you shut down, you close out everything and remove the cd, you are back to windows, is the iso the live cd?
    By burning the iso image to either a CD/DVD or USB memory stick you are creating the LIVE MEDIUM.

The choice is yours, you can run Ubuntu from the Live CD/DVD which means you will not touch the existing hard drive, but lose everything when you shut down, or you can instead of using CD/DVD burn the iso to a USB memory stick with "persistence" which means you can make changes, install applications and save documents to the USB memory stick, or of course you can install to the machines hard drive using your LIVE medium.

on the cd live web page, "desktop" is referred to, is that just a general term or does it mean a desktop pc period?
    http://livecdlist.com/
    Desktop pretty much means anything that is not a server, so includes laptops, notebooks, full desktop machines ect.

it's just onboard video on this pc also, do i need a dedicated video card?
    No, not necessarily.

i may buy another laptop to do this,, suggestions?
    That may well be overkill

i think i have a 10.4 or 11 version i was mailed, could i use those?
    Probably not a good idea in either case, 10.04 goes end of life in a few weeks, as does 11.10. 11.04 is already end of life. YOu could use them to install and them upgrade to a supported version, however it would be much easier and less likely to error by using a current version, I'd recommend 12.04.2 for you.

what am i missing i have been a member 6 years and still haven't done this?
    Welcome and good luck

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast