Thread: 12.10 burned to dvd

Beans

12.10 burned to dvd

i downloaded the 12.10 32 bit ubuntu and burned it to dvd-r 8x at 4 speed, i did not do the checksum i just verified it with ImgBurn

Do i need do this?

When i boot, i am going to run it from Dvd not install it, so how do i do that?

on a toshiba c655 laptop with win 7 dual core

tks

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: 12.10 burned to dvd

Checking md5sum is always a good idea, but it isn't a life-or-death issue- if it installs and runs fine, it probably is ok. Unless you're worried that someone might have compromised the ISO and presented a security risk, it should be fine.
    When you boot from the DVD the first screen you get will ask if you want to install or "try" Ubuntu- try = run from DVD.
    Good luck!

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

This documentation also applies to Live-DVD's:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/LiveCD

Nobody has updated the terminology yet, is all.
    Reminder: If you start a thread asking for help with a problem, please remember to use the Thread Tools to mark the issue as "SOLVED" once you have a solution. This will help other people with the same problem when they search for answers.

Beans

tks i have seen those help pages just thought maybe there was some added thoughts
    tks

Beans

As I understand it, the graphical DVD-burning utility (Brasero, xfburn or K3B, for example) perform an action similar to using an md5 to verify that the image burnt to the disc is the same one indicated on the header of the ISO itself. This also goes for veryfing the image after it is downloaded. It is simply a listing of what is on the image itself.

If you are using the command line to burn your image (i.e. using dd), you are encouraged to use the md5's for manually verifying the DVD both before and after the burn. Kind of an "either/or" situation. Many of ubuntu's graphical applications are just automated and attractive ways of doing the same operation that takes place in a terminal. My opinion: no need if you verify the disk through K3B, Brasero or xfburn.
    Last edited by rich4421972; March 19th, 2013 at 04:23 AM.