Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: iso burn and download

Beans

Re: iso burn and download

Thanks

I can easily remove some data to dvds

If and when i have the live media to insert, if i am going to run it from the live media, do i have to boot to that or just open it?

tks

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

you have to boot to that to load the OS. it will load the OS from DVD to ram.
    Read the easy to understand, lots of pics Ubuntu manual.
    Do i need antivirus/firewall in linux?
    Full disk backup (newer kernel -> suitable for newer PC): Clonezilla
    User friendly full disk backup: Rescuezilla

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

In standard case the first device the pc is booting from is a cd/dvd device.
    Means, if you put the cd in the pc it should boot automatically.
    If not you have to go in the boot manager and change the booting order.

Beans

i think when the l top boots up it shows either f2 or f12 on the tray, so it might be if i put the cd or dvd in would recognize it? what am i going to run into with wifi? just enter the password or are there other issues?
    tks

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by rchubcitywihwy1480 View Post
    i think when the l top boots up it shows either f2 or f12 on the tray, so it might be if i put the cd or dvd in would recognize it? what am i going to run into with wifi? just enter the password or are there other issues?
    tks
    Sorry, I don't understand what is your problem.
    If you have the CD put it in the slot and restart your pc. There should appear a menu where you chose to start Ubuntu without install. There is no need of wifi or internet connection at all. You can do it without internet connection.

As far as I know, if you are asked for some password it has nothing to do with starting Ubuntu from cd, but rather with some options on your computer. If you just downloaded the OS from the internet there is no possibility to ask you a password.
    Last edited by doja; February 25th, 2013 at 07:09 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

The point with wifi is that you may need additional drivers to get it working. Sometimes the drivers are build into linux, sometimes you need separate proprietary drivers to get it working and sometimes it doesn't work at all. It all depends on the manufacturer of your wifi chipset. You can test it whilst using the live dvd, but it's no problem to install without wifi and get it sorted out later.

Just put the dvd in the tray and reboot your computer. If it goes straight into windows get into the bios (I assume F2 or F12 on your laptop) and change the boot order.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

rchubcitywihwy1480 you must at least tell us at which point of the installation you are to make it possible to help you.

Impavidus is right and I wrote to you the same before - > first install ubuntu and then download additional drivers if Ubuntu doesn't support all your hardware.

But before Ubuntu is installed there is no need to care about the internet. If your wifi is not supported directly after installation then you should connect your pc per cable to the internet and look for a driver. But this is a different task. At first install Ubuntu.

1. try if Ubuntu is running from the live medium (without install).
    2. If you get it then there will be a big task for you to install it properly.
    3. then you care about all others (for example wifi)

Tell us if you get the first point or where you have a problem with the first point.
    Last edited by doja; February 25th, 2013 at 09:55 PM.

Beans

it appears do to how i use these 2 pcs and are both wifi, that i get another pc to do this
    tks

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by rchubcitywihwy1480 View Post
    it appears do to how i use these 2 pcs and are both wifi, that i get another pc to do this
    tks
    ????
    try it again. I don't understand you.
    Last edited by doja; February 25th, 2013 at 11:02 PM.

Beans

i don't want to chance messing either of these pcs up so i am going to wait till i get another on

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast