I have been looking at Ubuntu reviews (I don't have it installed yet) and have been to the Ubuntu site. My main reason for looking into this is that I have a desktop running Windows XP. I want to get a laptop but don't want Windows 8, and it really, REALLY, annoys me that I have to have 8. So here are some questions I have after reading a/m stuff, and I appreciate any help anyone is willing to provide. I will say this about myself, I am willing to learn and adapt. So here are my questions
1. If I buy a new laptop with W 8, can I install Ubuntu on it also, and will it work the way it is supposed to (this is the most important issue for me)? Do I have to uninstall W 8?
2. Will Ubuntu work on my desktop, which is about 4 yrs old and running XP?
3. From what I have read, I could use the cloud processing and have all my files available to all my devices, assuming 'yes'
answers to 1 and 2 above, including my smart phone if I install Ubuntu for Android. Yes?
4. If I have Ubuntu can I still use all the programs I really like, such as gmail, Google phone call/chat, third party programs
5. Are there tutorials to help me learn to use Ubuntu? From what I have read it is quite a departure from what I am used to. I am willing to try if I can get all my devices on the same platform.
That's it for now. I appreciate your help.