Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Problem installing nvidia drivers - 12.10

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Problem installing nvidia drivers - 12.10

You've prompted me to update my 12.10, from the screenshot you can see that I have an updated kernel waiting, but the headers aren't marked for updating.

I'll need to install them manually or I'll have an issue with nvidia drivers also.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Juniorr View Post
    Yes, it said 13.1MB needed to be downloaded. I'll do it, and then install the driver. Do I need to reboot after these headers install?
    Yes, you'll need to reboot.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Well now everything seems to be fixed

On last question:

Am I going to have to do these same steps every time my kernel gets updated? Is there a way to make Ubuntu automatically install the headers too?

Beans
    Distro

Well now everything seems to be fixed
    Excellent, well done.

Am I going to have to do these same steps every time my kernel gets updated? Is there a way to make Ubuntu automatically install the headers too?
    Most likely for the time you run 12.10 you will likely need to remember to manually update your kernel headers when a kernel upgrade is done.

13.04 seems fine, so if you ever upgrade to that, the issue will likely be a distant memory.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

As a matter of fact I just came from 13.04. I was having lots of problems with drivers there too, some crashes, games freezing etc so I'll wait until April =)

Anyway, thanks a lot for your help!

Beans

@mac4man: Would that command install the appropriate headers for my current kernel?
    I would try (no guarantees) installing linux-headers-generic which is a meta package ("This package will always depend on the latest generic kernel headers available."
    Then see..

(at least here in 13.04 where that meta package is installed, - every time the kernel upgrades so does that kernels specific linux-headers-X.X.X-X-generic package

Beans

Just to follow up on -
    Have a 12.10 install I put in several weeks ago, never really updated

Did install linux-headers-generic meta package & nvidia back then.

So there was a kernel update available & it updated linux-headers-generic meta & installed the approipiate linux-headers-generic package - see screens.

In this case which there was no need for a new kernel nvidia module to be built so all is well on reboot.
    Whether it would have built a new module if needed no idea, that's not all that common after release.

The orig. bug I had on this got duped to the one linked but was more specific to the issue on fresh 12.10 installs of i386 or amd64.
    That issue is the linux-headers-generic meta package is not default installed so no specific linux-headers-generic package is installed & installing nvidia or ati, ect. will not do so.
    https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...s/+bug/1068456

So yes -install the meta package

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12