Thread: updating issues

Beans

updating issues

Dear ubuntians out there,

I am trying to upgrade my 10.10 to 11.04 and eventually to the latest LTS version. However during the update I get the following error:
    W:Failed to fetch http://extras.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/dist...rce/Sources.gz 404 Not Found
    , W:Failed to fetch http://extras.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/dist...86/Packages.gz 404 Not Found
    , E:Some index files failed to download, they have been ignored, or old ones used instead.

What is the solution.
    My system is a dell d630, core 2 duo with windows xp and ubuntu both installed on the hard drive.

Thanks in advance

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: updating issues

Those are the restricted extras packages, they are not essential to upgrade and no longer available (it seems) for Natty.

Easiest thing to do is comment them out from your sources.list. Open it up like this

Code:
    gksudo gedit /etc/apt/sources.list
    search for "extras" and put a # at the beginning of that line or lines.

The run sudo apt-get update and then continue the upgrade as normal. You will need to add the extras later as you get nearer to the current release, but cross that bridge when you get to it.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by zdubun View Post
    Dear ubuntians out there,

I am trying to upgrade my 10.10 to 11.04 and eventually to the latest LTS version. However during the update I get the following error:
    W:Failed to fetch http://extras.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/dist...rce/Sources.gz 404 Not Found
    , W:Failed to fetch http://extras.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/dist...86/Packages.gz 404 Not Found
    , E:Some index files failed to download, they have been ignored, or old ones used instead.

What is the solution.
    My system is a dell d630, core 2 duo with windows xp and ubuntu both installed on the hard drive.

Thanks in advance
    10.10 and 11.04 are no longer supported as they have reached End Of Life and so the repositories are closed.

Your best solution is to download the latest version of 12.04.2 LTS and do a clean install.

Good Luck
    Hypertension = Take with a pinch of salt
    | Psychocats | Ubuntu Documentation | Howto [Solved] | BBcode list | Brother Website |

Beans

Thank you sealbhach and plucky.
    I am thinking of doing a clean install. Sorry but, how would I do that.
    Regards

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by zdubun View Post
    Thank you sealbhach and plucky.
    I am thinking of doing a clean install. Sorry but, how would I do that.
    Regards
    Go here:

http://www.ubuntu.com/download/desktop

and burn.

Read the full installation instructions link.

Remember to backup the files you want to keep.

If Ubuntu's new style is not for you try out

xubuntu

lubuntu

kubuntu

and any number of other distributions that might make the grade for you.
    Splat Double Splat Triple Splat
    Earn Your Keep
    Don't mind me, I'm only passing through.
    Once in a blue moon, I'm actually helpful

Beans
    Hidden!

0. Backup your personal files from the old installation.

A Dell d630, core 2 duo will run standard Ubuntu with Unity, but Lubuntu and Xubuntu will run faster. I suggest that you download desktop versions and try live (booted from CD/DVD/USB) before deciding what to install. If you have more than 2 GB RAM, I suggest that you use the 64 bit version. The 64-bit version will run with less memory, but needs more RAM for the same tasks.

1. Download the iso files you want to try and check with the md5sum.

2. Make CD/DVD/USB boot drive(s) and try Ubuntu, Lubuntu, Xubuntu ...

3. Before you install, while running live from the CD/DVD/USB boot drive, check with
    Code:
    gksudo gparted
    which partitions to use. I suggest that you reuse the previous partition(s) for ubuntu.

4. Still running live from the CD/DVD/USB boot drive, start the installer.

5. When you arrive at the partitioning screen, select Something else
    and select the old Ubuntu partition as the new root partition and format it to ext4. Swap should be selected automatically unless you had encrypted home and cryptswap. Then you have to reformat the swap partition too. Check that grub will be installed to the drive (not to a partition). It should normally be installed to the first drive, /dev/sda (no number at the end).
    Attached Images Attached Images

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

You should just upgrade rather then do a clean install so that you don't have to re-install everything that you want, and also save and then re-import all of your files and documents that you would have lost doing a clean install. You shouldn't worry about the extras since it isn't anything important at all and isn't a "key" (or really any part) of the upgrading process.

Beans
    Hidden!

Upgrading in several steps is almost certainly causing more work than a fresh installation. Particularly from a version that is no longer supported.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by KnownSyntax View Post
    You should just upgrade rather then do a clean install so that you don't have to re-install everything that you want, and also save and then re-import all of your files and documents that you would have lost doing a clean install. You shouldn't worry about the extras since it isn't anything important at all and isn't a "key" (or really any part) of the upgrading process.
    To many problems can occur upgrading from natty to oneric to precise, or quantal.
    Best to just backup what you want and do a clean install.
    Upgrading one release is one thing, but two or three is gonna take a while to do.
    The longer it takes the more likely something bad might happen.
    Splat Double Splat Triple Splat
    Earn Your Keep
    Don't mind me, I'm only passing through.
    Once in a blue moon, I'm actually helpful