Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Converting multiple flac files to mp3 using the CLI

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Converting multiple flac files to mp3 using the CLI

This is new territory for me. I previously relied on GUI apps to batch convert files from Flac to mp3 and wav and aiff to mp3.

How would I do this using ffmpeg?

I have several folders with aiff, flac and wav files that I want to convert to 192 bit mp3 format. I have a feeling using ffmpeg would be much faster and easier to use than a gui solution. The other reason is that I am determined to use the CLI for most of my tasks instead of always relying on a GUI solution. So far, I am really discovering the power of the CLI and I am really enjoying it (never thought I would say that in a million years .

Thanks!!
    Randy McElligott
    www.mcran.com

For the best in Jazz, In Transition every Sunday from noon-2pm EST www.chuo.fm

Beans

Re: Converting multiple flac files to mp3 using the CLI

Thread moved to Multimedia & Video.
    ..and bumped
    Varun
    Help others by marking threads as [SOLVED], if they are. (See how)
    Wireless Script | Use Code Tags

Beans

Probably the easiest way is to use a for loop, but it depends what sort of directory structure you have in place. Are the files all lumped together or separated by type?
    You think that's air you're breathing now?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by rmcellig View Post
    This is new territory for me. I previously relied on GUI apps to batch convert files from Flac to mp3 and wav and aiff to mp3.

How would I do this using ffmpeg?

I have several folders with aiff, flac and wav files that I want to convert to 192 bit mp3 format. I have a feeling using ffmpeg would be much faster and easier to use than a gui solution. The other reason is that I am determined to use the CLI for most of my tasks instead of always relying on a GUI solution. So far, I am really discovering the power of the CLI and I am really enjoying it (never thought I would say that in a million years .

Thanks!!
    mp3 format losses quality when formating to it. Can you use ogg instead?

mkdir /my_ogg_dir
    for i in /my_Flac_dir/*.flac
    do
    ffmpeg -i $i -strict experimental -acodec vorbis -aq 100 /my_ogg_dir/$i.ogg
    done
    see also : http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1626645
    Last edited by fdrake; February 24th, 2013 at 11:33 AM.

blog
    Donations BTC : 12FwoB7uAM5FnweykpR1AEEDVFaTLTYFkS
    DOUBLEPLUSGOOD!!

Beans
    Distro

Ogg Vorbis is a lossy codec, just like MP3. Well, Vorbis is better than MP3 at a given bit rate - it's on par with AAC-LC - but that's only applicable to very low bit rates; for most people, using consumer audio equipment, most of the time all modern lossy audio encoders produce results indistinguishable from the original CD audio at around 128 kbit/s.

Vorbis is nowhere near as well supported as MP3 on hardware players. Also, the ffmpeg vorbis encoder is sub-par; you should use libvorbis instead.

Code:
    ffmpeg -i input.flac -c:a libvorbis -q:a 5 output.ogg
    To actually answer the OP question:

Code:
    ##  Encode a single file as an MP3:
    ffmpeg -i input.flac -c:a libmp3lame -q:a 4 output.mp3

##  Encode a directory of FLAC files to MP3:
    for f in *.flac; do ffmpeg "$f" -c:a libmp3lame -q:a 4 "${f/%flac/mp3}"; done

##  Create MP3s recursively (make sure you copy all the quotes):
    find . -type f -name "*.flac" -exec bash -c 'ffmpeg -i "$0" -c:a libmp3lame -q:a 4 "${0/%flac/mp3}"' '{}' \;
    See this blog post for some basic information about encoding different formats; see this page on the ffmpeg wiki for a bit more information on MP3 encoding (and this HydrogenAudio page for some in-depth information).

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

bulk convert flac to mp3;bulk convert audio files to mp3

hi rm this will do it if you cd to the folder where all your folder files are say they are all in Music do
    Code:
    cd Music
    nullglob means it does not stop if one of the formats listed is absent nocaseglob means it cares not if .mp3 or .MP3

for i in */
    do
    cd "$i"
    for f in nullglob nocaseglob *.{flac,aiff,wav} ; do ffmpeg -i "$f" -b:a 192k "${f%.*}.mp3" ; done
    cd ..
    done

if you want to remove original files be careful here you can add [test it first with lines above]

for i in */
    do
    cd "$i"
    for f in nullglob nocaseglob *.{flac,aiff,wav} ; do ffmpeg -i "$f" -b:a 192k "${f%.*}.mp3" ; done \
    && rm *.{flac,aiff,wav}
    cd ..
    done

PS love your concise line Esoup

find . -type f -name "*.flac" -exec bash -c 'ffmpeg -i "$0" -c:a libmp3lame -q:a 4 "${0/%flac/mp3}"' '{}' \;

how do you add wav and aiff to it? [i tried to add those and messed up with find syntax]
    Last edited by shantiq; February 25th, 2013 at 01:21 PM.
    Linux is Latin for off-the-beaten-track
    what I like MOST about our Ubuntu ... The Community ie 50 brains are better than one
    Playing with Slackware too now ...
    ShanArt

Beans
    Distro

Re: bulk convert wav aiff flac to mp3

I got that find line originally from this superuser.com answer, so if you have an account there, give that guy an upvote.

I would use regular expressions for finding multiple file extensions, something like:

Code:
    find . -type f -regextype posix-extended -regex ".*flac|.*wav|.*aiff" -exec bash -c 'ffmpeg -i "$0" -c:a libmp3lame -q:a 4 "${0%.*}.mp3"' '{}' \;

##  or (slightly more concise, easier to add more file extensions):
    find . -type f -regextype posix-extended -regex ".*\.(flac|wav|aiff)" -exec bash -c 'ffmpeg -i "$0" -c:a libmp3lame -q:a 4 "${0%.*}.mp3"' '{}' \;
    You may have to escape the '|'s, unfortunately my linux computer has suffered physical damage & I'm stuck on Windows 8 til Tuesday, so I'm unable to test if this exact syntax works. Check out the find manpage, I guess. You can also use something like:

Code:
    find . -type f -name "*.flac" -o -name "*.wav" -o -name "*.aiff" -exec bash -c 'ffmpeg -i "$0" -c:a libmp3lame -q:a 4 "${0/%flac/mp3}"' '{}' \;
    ...but I prefer the regex way, since it's more concise.

You can also use '-iregex' instead of '-regex' (or '-iname' instead of '-name') to get case-insensitive matches - so it would match both 'whatever.wav' and 'whatever.WAV'
    Last edited by evilsoup; February 24th, 2013 at 06:01 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

thanx man really good ; even goes into folders within folders [truly recursive] way more elegant than my paltry earlier proposition
    just noticed -q:a 4 does not really hit 192k the asker requested so it seems more accurate to use -b:a 192k instead what do you think ? and then the iregex is a peach addition , maybe can also trim -c:a libmp3lame to make it even leaner [all recent versions of ffmpeg ok that way]

this is very elegant .... shall be using from now on and ditching the old method

find . -type f -regextype posix-extended -iregex ".*\.(flac|wav|aiff)" -exec bash -c 'ffmpeg -i "$0" -b:a 192k "${0%.*}.mp3"' '{}' \;
    Last edited by shantiq; February 24th, 2013 at 07:17 PM.
    Linux is Latin for off-the-beaten-track
    what I like MOST about our Ubuntu ... The Community ie 50 brains are better than one
    Playing with Slackware too now ...
    ShanArt

Beans
    Distro

Outside of specialized applications, VBR modes should be used for all video/audio encoding. '-q:a 4' will offer a very good level of audio transparency; using a lower value will get a higher bit rate (a value of 2 is equivalent - averaged over a large number of encoded files - to about 192 kbit/s), but I seriously doubt that anyone (outside of sound engineers with high-end equipment sitting in a recording studio & actively listening for artefacts... and even then...) will be able to tell the difference.

'-b:a 192k' will always get a bit rate of 192 kbit/s... but I think it would be pretty wasteful. Of course, hard drive space is pretty cheap, and it will subjectively sound as good as a VBR MP3 (again, to most people under most circumstances), so there's little real harm in doing so. I mostly recommend it because 'VBR=good' is a very good rule of thumb for delivery codecs, and is more important with video codecs, where hard drive space can still be an issue.
    Last edited by evilsoup; February 24th, 2013 at 07:59 PM.

Beans
    Distro

If yopu have a beefy multi-core machine, you may find some advantage in using gnu parallel Note: the parallel in the 12.04 repos is not gnu parallel (I don't know about 12.10 or above), get it from here.

FFmpeg is multithreaded, so this probably won't give you a massive boost unless you have a very beefy machine (>4 cores), but...

Code:
    find . -type f -name "*.flac" | parallel ffmpeg -i {} -c:a libmp3lame -q:a 4 {.}.mp3
    With GNU parallel, '{.}' is equivalent to bash '${f%.*}'. I don't think it's available in find -exec, hence the 'bash -c'.

Also, yes, the '-c:a libmp3lame' could be safely removed AFAICT.

EDIT: if any of the filenames contain newlines (should never happen...) you'll need to use this construction:

Code:
    find . -type f -name "*.flac" -print0 | parallel -0 ffmpeg -i {} -c:a libmp3lame -q:a 4 {.}.mp3
    Last edited by evilsoup; February 24th, 2013 at 08:19 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast