Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Nvidia X Driver Fails to Install

Beans

Re: Nvidia X Driver Fails to Install

Quote Originally Posted by Temüjin View Post
    My vote is still for a clean install. It looks like you never fully removed a previous install of the nvidia driver (the one you installed directly without using a .deb).
    How can I be more complete than
    Code:
    apt-get --purge remove nvidia-common bbswitch-dkms bumblebee bumblebee-nvidia nvidia-current nvidia-settings && apt-get --purge autoremove
    ? I also removed the bumblebee repositories and authentication.

Beans

After making sure all files were backed up I took what to me seems like a "newb-ish" and risky move. I used a nautilus search and deleted everything nvidia and bumblebee. Now, do you think I should install Nvidia via the .run file then bumblebee or just follow the bumblebee directions that include getting/installing the nvidia.deb?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by fowlslegs View Post
    After making sure all files were backed up I took what to me seems like a "newb-ish" and risky move. I used a nautilus search and deleted everything nvidia and bumblebee. Now, do you think I should install Nvidia via the .run file then bumblebee or just follow the bumblebee directions that include getting/installing the nvidia.deb?
    I'd like to add to the quoted post above that first I used the code in the post before that one. Anyway, I rebooted and I am still here. I can't imagine a cleaner uninstall. Now I'd like to ask Temujin and others EXACTLY what they think I should do. Note I do have nouveau-firmware, libdrm-nouveau2, libdrm-nouveau1a, libdrm-nouveau2-dbg, libdrm-nouveau1a-dbg, xserver-xorg-video-nouveau, and xserver-xorg-video-nouveau-dbg packages currently installed. If there is any code whatsoever I can run to give anyone any additional information they think might help them help me please let me know. For now I'm not touching anything.

Beans
    Hidden!

After making sure all files were backed up I took what to me seems like a "newb-ish" and risky move. I used a nautilus search and deleted everything nvidia and bumblebee
    Actually I wouldn't call it "newb-ish" at all. However, I'd never do it again!!! I'm really surprised you got logged back into the system after that. If you look through you system files, you'll find folders of all kinds that you didn't (think) install.
    My on question on your removing things was you method using the --purge...
    This is just telling 'purge' to be 'verbose' and tell you everything its doing.
    This is what you did;
    Code:
    apt-get --purge remove bumblebee bbswitch-dkms
    And this is how I'd have done it;
    Code:
    sudo apt-get remove bumblebee bbswitch-dkms
    then;
    Code:
    sudo apt-get autoremove
    I have never seen the suwako site down, but I'd try again. That said, they are the repository for the base Debian OS. I do not know and can not vouch for how they'll work with Ubuntu for you. I did install using them when I was using Ubuntu, and I'm using them now on the Debian distro I use.

Temujin may have the best solution for you, though I'm sure that may be hard to swallow. I hated re-installing, and would bang my head into the bricks till it bled before giving in. I'm not necessarily smart, just stubborn! I would encourage you to keep trying till you fix it or break it and "HAVE" to re-install! It's the best way to learn about Linux! Make sure before you go any further though, that you have everything of value to you backed up.

And for the record I'll post here a link you've probably been to or at least referred to a dozen times;
    https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Bumblebee
    Temujin is right in that if you didn't 'completely' get rid of previous Bumblebee/Nvidia stuff, then your probably wasting your time trying to re-install Bumblebee at this point. Which, of course, means a totally clean re-install of Ubuntu. Isn't Optimus/hybrid graphics fun? Grrr, what was or is Nvidia thinking? Not about Linux users, thats for sure.

The link to my How To should get you through all this if you can get your system cleaned of the previous installs of Bumblebee. As much work as your posts indicate you've done, I'll take it one step further and tell you another route. irc. If you can get an irc client installed, I'm usually around throughout the day/night at chat.freenode.net and the channel is #VSIDO. It is sometimes easier to get things solved through irc than the forums. A lesson I wish someone had told me a long time ago!!!

Good Luck...
    | [I]Running 'VSIDO' | My blog |

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by fowlslegs View Post
    How can I be more complete than
    Code:
    apt-get --purge remove nvidia-common bbswitch-dkms bumblebee bumblebee-nvidia nvidia-current nvidia-settings && apt-get --purge autoremove
    ? I also removed the bumblebee repositories and authentication.
    The problem is that you ran the nvidia driver install directly from a .run file (not using .deb packages). No amount of apt-get purging will make sure that whatever files the .run program littered your filesystem with are removed.

Nouveau packages can be installed; it doesn't matter (they don't interfere with other drivers).

Beans

Reinstalled Ubuntu 12.10 studio. Followed bumblebee's wiki instructions exactly except used xorg-edgers instead of x-swat (all packages/ drivers in x-swat are also in xorg-edgers).

Code:
    noah@noah-Aspire-M5-481TG:~$ optirun glxspheres
    [  621.630550] [ERROR]Cannot access secondary GPU - error: [XORG] (EE) NVIDIA(0): Failed to assign any connected display devices to X screen 0

[  621.630602] [ERROR]Aborting because fallback start is disabled.
    Code:
    noah@noah-Aspire-M5-481TG:~$ gedit /var/log/kern.log
    =
    Code:
    Feb 25 00:13:33 noah-Aspire-M5-481TG kernel: [  619.091107] bbswitch: enabling discrete graphics
    Feb 25 00:13:33 noah-Aspire-M5-481TG kernel: [  619.149698] pci 0000:01:00.0: power state changed by ACPI to D0
    Feb 25 00:13:33 noah-Aspire-M5-481TG kernel: [  619.149719] pci 0000:01:00.0: power state changed by ACPI to D0
    Feb 25 00:13:33 noah-Aspire-M5-481TG kernel: [  619.149832] pci 0000:01:00.0: power state changed by ACPI to D0
    Feb 25 00:13:33 noah-Aspire-M5-481TG kernel: [  619.149841] pci 0000:01:00.0: power state changed by ACPI to D0
    Feb 25 00:13:33 noah-Aspire-M5-481TG kernel: [  619.149850] pci 0000:01:00.0: enabling device (0006 -> 0007)
    Feb 25 00:13:33 noah-Aspire-M5-481TG kernel: [  619.320568] nvidia: module license 'NVIDIA' taints kernel.
    Feb 25 00:13:33 noah-Aspire-M5-481TG kernel: [  619.320574] Disabling lock debugging due to kernel taint
    Feb 25 00:13:33 noah-Aspire-M5-481TG kernel: [  619.333195] nvidia 0000:01:00.0: power state changed by ACPI to D0
    Feb 25 00:13:33 noah-Aspire-M5-481TG kernel: [  619.333203] nvidia 0000:01:00.0: power state changed by ACPI to D0
    Feb 25 00:13:33 noah-Aspire-M5-481TG kernel: [  619.333209] nvidia 0000:01:00.0: enabling device (0006 -> 0007)
    Feb 25 00:13:33 noah-Aspire-M5-481TG kernel: [  619.333226] vgaarb: device changed decodes: PCI:0000:01:00.0,olddecodes=io+mem,decodes=none:owns=none
    Feb 25 00:13:33 noah-Aspire-M5-481TG kernel: [  619.333379] NVRM: loading NVIDIA UNIX x86_64 Kernel Module  304.64  Tue Oct 30 10:58:20 PDT 2012

Beans

Code:
    noah@noah-Aspire-M5-481TG:~$ dmesg | grep nvidia
    [  619.320568] nvidia: module license 'NVIDIA' taints kernel.
    [  619.333195] nvidia 0000:01:00.0: power state changed by ACPI to D0
    [  619.333203] nvidia 0000:01:00.0: power state changed by ACPI to D0
    [  619.333209] nvidia 0000:01:00.0: enabling device (0006 -> 0007)

Beans

Code:
    noah@noah-Aspire-M5-481TG:~$ lsmod | grep nvidia
    nvidia              11284048  0
    and

Code:
    noah@noah-Aspire-M5-481TG:~$ glxinfo | grep render
    direct rendering: Yes
    OpenGL renderer string: Mesa DRI Intel(R) Ivybridge Mobile 
        GL_NV_conditional_render, GL_AMD_draw_buffers_blend,

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Jedcurtis View Post
    Actually I wouldn't call it "newb-ish" at all. However, I'd never do it again!!! I'm really surprised you got logged back into the system after that. If you look through you system files, you'll find folders of all kinds that you didn't (think) install.
    My on question on your removing things was you method using the --purge...
    This is just telling 'purge' to be 'verbose' and tell you everything its doing.
    This is what you did;
    Code:
    apt-get --purge remove bumblebee bbswitch-dkms
    And this is how I'd have done it;
    Code:
    sudo apt-get remove bumblebee bbswitch-dkms
    then;
    Code:
    sudo apt-get autoremove
    I have never seen the suwako site down, but I'd try again. That said, they are the repository for the base Debian OS. I do not know and can not vouch for how they'll work with Ubuntu for you. I did install using them when I was using Ubuntu, and I'm using them now on the Debian distro I use.

Temujin may have the best solution for you, though I'm sure that may be hard to swallow. I hated re-installing, and would bang my head into the bricks till it bled before giving in. I'm not necessarily smart, just stubborn! I would encourage you to keep trying till you fix it or break it and "HAVE" to re-install! It's the best way to learn about Linux! Make sure before you go any further though, that you have everything of value to you backed up.

And for the record I'll post here a link you've probably been to or at least referred to a dozen times;
    https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Bumblebee
    Temujin is right in that if you didn't 'completely' get rid of previous Bumblebee/Nvidia stuff, then your probably wasting your time trying to re-install Bumblebee at this point. Which, of course, means a totally clean re-install of Ubuntu. Isn't Optimus/hybrid graphics fun? Grrr, what was or is Nvidia thinking? Not about Linux users, thats for sure.

The link to my How To should get you through all this if you can get your system cleaned of the previous installs of Bumblebee. As much work as your posts indicate you've done, I'll take it one step further and tell you another route. irc. If you can get an irc client installed, I'm usually around throughout the day/night at chat.freenode.net and the channel is #VSIDO. It is sometimes easier to get things solved through irc than the forums. A lesson I wish someone had told me a long time ago!!!

Good Luck...
    I also did autoremove as well, but thank you for the information. I will try to get in contact with you soon if I cannot figure this out and I really appreciate that offer.

Beans

Could I need to blacklist my nvidia module?
    HTML Code:
     https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Blacklisting#Blacklisting

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast