Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 15

Thread: Unity on Mint

  1. #1
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Beans
    52
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

    Question Unity on Mint

    I installed Unity on my Mint install, but when I log out and go to change the desktop environment, it is not on the list. Any ideas on whats up? Also, I a not sure if this is the right section for this, sorry if it is wrong.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Des Moines, Iowa, USA
    Beans
    166

    Re: Unity on Mint

    Unity isn't listed as "unity" even in Ubuntu - it's just listed as "Ubuntu" and "Ubuntu 2d". What is on your list? It could be under a different name.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Porirua, New Zealand
    Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

    Re: Unity on Mint

    Thread moved to Other OS/Distro Talk.

    Although based on Ubuntu, Mint is a distro in its own right.
    Forum DOs and DON'Ts
    Never assume that information you find using a search engine is up-to-date.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Beans
    52
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

    Re: Unity on Mint

    Quote Originally Posted by mansonfan78 View Post
    Unity isn't listed as "unity" even in Ubuntu - it's just listed as "Ubuntu" and "Ubuntu 2d". What is on your list? It could be under a different name.
    All I have is Cinnamon regular and 2D and 2 versions of Gnome classic.

    Quote Originally Posted by lisati View Post
    Thread moved to Other OS/Distro Talk.

    Although based on Ubuntu, Mint is a distro in its own right.
    Whoops, sorry, I should have looked around better.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    WI USA
    Beans
    10,727
    Distro
    Ubuntu 15.04 Vivid Vervet

    Re: Unity on Mint

    Unity 4.xx worked on Mint 12 but you would have see if it is still compatible. 12.10 no longer includes 2D by default and the unity version is 6.12.
    Infinite diversity in infinite combination.

    Ubuntu Documentation Search: Popular Pages
    Ubuntu: Security Basics
    Ubuntu: Manual

  6. #6
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Beans
    52
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

    Re: Unity on Mint

    Quote Originally Posted by Frogs Hair View Post
    Unity 4.xx worked on Mint 12 but you would have see if it is still compatible. 12.10 no longer includes 2D by default and the unity version is 6.12.
    Forgot to specify, I am on Mint 14. Unity works because I can launch it from the terminal, but it is extremely inconvenient to do it that way.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Beans
    228

    Re: Unity on Mint

    Quote Originally Posted by Zane Pepper View Post
    Forgot to specify, I am on Mint 14. Unity works because I can launch it from the terminal, but it is extremely inconvenient to do it that way.
    Install lightdm and your problem would go away. While installing, it'd ask, and you choose lighdm.

    If you want Mint stuffm but with Unity, then install Precise, Quantal or Raring, add the Nadia repos--you can copy them from your Mint 14--add to the sources.list and update. Then, install anything you want from Mint.

    When you look at the Precise, Quantal or Raring sources.list and the sources.list of Mint, you'd notice that you are silently disallowed openings to many Ubuntu repos, which is the mainstay of Mint though.

    Have a look here too. http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2093725

  8. #8
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Beans
    52
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

    Re: Unity on Mint

    Quote Originally Posted by Chdslv View Post
    Install lightdm and your problem would go away. While installing, it'd ask, and you choose lighdm.

    If you want Mint stuffm but with Unity, then install Precise, Quantal or Raring, add the Nadia repos--you can copy them from your Mint 14--add to the sources.list and update. Then, install anything you want from Mint.

    When you look at the Precise, Quantal or Raring sources.list and the sources.list of Mint, you'd notice that you are silently disallowed openings to many Ubuntu repos, which is the mainstay of Mint though.

    Have a look here too. http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2093725
    I have lightdm installed, but the problem is still there.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Mystletainn Kick!
    Beans
    5,526
    Distro
    Ubuntu

    Re: Unity on Mint

    Your best bet is to install ubuntu-desktop.
    Splat Double Splat Triple Splat
    Earn Your Keep
    Don't mind me, I'm only passing through.
    Once in a blue moon, I'm actually helpful
    .

  10. #10
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Beans
    52
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

    Re: Unity on Mint

    I just gave up. I kinda like Cinnamon and I can always just switch back to Ubuntu 12.04 if I really miss Unity.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •