Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Ubuntu 12.04 won't see raid 0

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Ubuntu 12.04 won't see raid 0

Quote Originally Posted by MAFoElffen View Post
    +1

I even do that for desktops... Translation, I leave 1MB unalloctaed ahead of the first partition. So does "darko."
    Strictly speaking that's not the same. I also leave 1MiB unused before the first partition, but in this case I am talking about a small 1MiB partition with RAW format (no filesystem) and bios_grub flag. It's needed on gpt disks since grub2 can't fit on the MBR and needs additional small space for its code.
    Darko.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    Ubuntu 14.04 LTS 64bit & Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit

Beans

Guys thank you so much for your input..

I didn't know Darko did production as well, it was never mentioned as fare as i remember sorry darko

I have put some time aside thursday to give this another go and starting to be quit good at avoiding my boss questions

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by darkod View Post
    If I remember it corectly (reading many threads here), you are using 3TB disks with gpt table which means you also needs a small 1MiB UNFORMATTED partition with the bios_grub flag. Grub2 can't install on gpt disk without it. I guess that's the reason it's failing.

See one of my previous posts for the suggested disk layout/partitions. I think it was in this thread.
    Darko... HELP!! Or anyone else for that matter

I know i'm not going about this excatly the way you suggestet. As fare as i know you wanted me to load the live cd and run the MD commands. Being stubbon and really wanting to learn this i really want to do this through the Ubuntu installer.. hope thats ok?

so gathering from you suggestion i suppose from the view in the ubuntu installer you are talking about the "Use as: Reserved BIOS boot area"?

When i made this partition on SDA with 1 MB space and set the "Use As:" to "Reserved BIOS boot area" i got a new error from grup saying it couldn't load on the SDB..

So i thought i just had to make the same patition on SDB but then i got the old error.. can you provide me with any more info?

Help me Obi Wan Kenobi, you are my only hope
    Last edited by offerlam; March 19th, 2013 at 11:17 AM.

Beans
    Distro

What old error are you talking about? Does it allow you to make the Reserved BIOS boot area partition on sdb too? If it does, all should be fine during grub2 install.

This is why I prefer parted, it's much more precise for partitioning. Make sure sdb has gpt table too, not msdos table.

Also, if by ubuntu installer you mean the desktop live cd don't forget you need to add the mdadm package first so it can install SW raid. Did you install with SW raid or you tried installing on the hdd directly?
    Darko.

Beans

Hi Darko and thanks for the quick response..

I have attached (hopefully i did it right) two pictures.

The first picture error.jpg is the error im talking about which is the same error as i asked about before in this thread..

The second picture is called Partition setup.jpg and is a picture from the Ubuntu installation wizard with my partition setup. I was hoping if you could confirm weather or not it is correct or not. In doing so answering your own questions in your previous post

/Casper
    Attached Images Attached Images

Beans
    Distro

Oh man, how many times did we say IDENTICAL setup on all disks?

You have biosgrub on two disks only. I think by default grub2 will try to get installed on all disks members of the raid since in this case is all disks. Of course it will fail when it tries sdc and sdd since you never did the biosgrub partition. You need it on all disks.

I think this is what's hapenning. I can't be 100% sure since the error message doesn't include info on which disks it failed, but from your partition list it seems clear.
    Darko.

Beans

Oh man, how many times did we say IDENTICAL setup on all disks?

You have biosgrub on two disks only. I think by default grub2 will try to get installed on all disks members of the raid since in this case is all disks. Of course it will fail when it tries sdc and sdd since you never did the biosgrub partition. You need it on all disks.

I think this is what's hapenning. I can't be 100% sure since the error message doesn't include info on which disks it failed, but from your partition list it seems clear.
    Hey

I have tried biosgrup on all disks aswell.. and that didn't work either.. same error..

Maybe i did something wrong.. Im currently home so i don't have access to the mashine here but i will try that tomorrow if i get the chance.. just to be sure I have tried it.

But i take your answer that besides the two missing biosgrup partition everything looks fine?

/Offerlam

Beans
    Distro

Yeah, it looks good. Now looking at it the second time, I'm not sure you have the bios_grub flag on the biosgrub partitions. Not sure if it's all the way to the right so it can't be seen on the image, or it's not there.

What we can see on the image is the biosgrub label on the partition, together with raid and swap labels on the other partitions. But the label doesn't mean anything. Grub2 looks for the bios_grub flag to know which partition to use. I think you can have a look at the flags on the partition by selecting it with Enter, then besides the Use As and Mount Point options, there should be a Flags option. Select it and make sure you activate the bios_grub flag.

This could be the reason it's still refusing the install grub2, if the bios_grub is missing. It should be in the partitions list next to the partition, all flags are shown if a partition has any.

If you go the parted way I posted earlier, you will easily check if the flag is there or not by printing the layout of a disk. You should be able to do the same in the installer since you insist on using it for partitioning. Just make sure you look into the Flags option.
    Darko.

Beans

Yeah, it looks good. Now looking at it the second time, I'm not sure you have the bios_grub flag on the biosgrub partitions. Not sure if it's all the way to the right so it can't be seen on the image, or it's not there.

What we can see on the image is the biosgrub label on the partition, together with raid and swap labels on the other partitions. But the label doesn't mean anything. Grub2 looks for the bios_grub flag to know which partition to use. I think you can have a look at the flags on the partition by selecting it with Enter, then besides the Use As and Mount Point options, there should be a Flags option. Select it and make sure you activate the bios_grub flag.

This could be the reason it's still refusing the install grub2, if the bios_grub is missing. It should be in the partitions list next to the partition, all flags are shown if a partition has any.

If you go the parted way I posted earlier, you will easily check if the flag is there or not by printing the layout of a disk. You should be able to do the same in the installer since you insist on using it for partitioning. Just make sure you look into the Flags option.
    I would say i have the flags are set..

Now i have tested it with a grup bios partion on every disc in the server. Actually i recreated alle partitions so they all appear in the same order on all the disc..
    And it still fails on me.

I have attached 4 pictures

Partition list: is the list of how my partition are set currently. The should make you smile

Bios flag: Is the picture that document that i have set the reserved for bios flag besides the run as. I can't set this partition as bootable. I have pushed enter and nothing happens..

Swap Flag: just to show you how swap is setup

Error: is to show the error i get..

I'm starting to think something else is wrong. I found this blog describing, what i would think, is my problem but handles it another way. I have asked for help there aswell without any answer yet. Perhaps you could decifer what they want..

http://stinebaugh.info/installing-ub...ardware-raid1/

He is addressing raid1 but in the comments people are asking about raid5 and the solution should be someone the same as to raid1

Beans

Duh forgot the pics
    Attached Images Attached Images

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast