Thread: Ubuntu 12.04 won't see raid 0

Threaded View

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Ubuntu 12.04 won't see raid 0

Quote Originally Posted by darkod View Post
    That's exactly what I meant. mdadm is very easy to make it work. Where did it fail?

A dedicated raid card might seem like the easy way out, but apart from additional cost you are also tying yourself up to a particular hardware card. For example, if it dies, you need to use the same model to get your array working and even then it might fail.

With SW raid you can read it on any linux machine, not only ubuntu.

But at the end of the day, the choice is all yours (or your boss's).
    +1 with darko

Some hard-RAID cards are a pain. Some make things transparent and easy. I have an IBM XSeries server... If I have a problem with Hard-RAID, I have to boot off the CD to run the config utilities for it. The on-controller BIOS util is just a status, see what's going on affair. PITA.

In the server world, I think LVM is handy if I keep it on hardware RAID, have a DOM0 host to DOMU virtual hosts that I am leasing out. (And they change in size requirements or go away.) The only handy part about it is that you can extend and shrink a logical volume, adjust the size of the file system, add disks to it or take away, delete volumes, etc... very flexible, changes quickly and on the fly.... But also a bit touchy, finicky and not for the light hearted. They don't do recovery very well. Yes, you can take a snapshot and the backup LV will track every change from that snapshot... Myself- I use LVM for tests(Within a physical volume on RAID), but I don't trust it's hardiness for production. The physical volume or logical group goes down and you're screwed. MDADM is better for that and IMO more flexible.

So the big difference in admin speed is it takes under a minute to double the size of a Logical volume, where it seems to take forever to grow a RAID array or for it to rebuild. But that is just it, it can rebuild dependably...

You said you had onboard. Was your onboard- HP Smart Array P420/1GB FBWC Controller (RAID 0/1/1+0/5/5+0)? If so, that is hard RAID... That was an option card for that server. The other 3 where Dynamic Smart Array controllers with RAID... but I'm not familiar with those. I do know that they only did RAID)0 and RAID1- unless you bought a 512MB cache upgrade to do RAID5 on them. Other than that, I don't think that server board bios itself had a 'fake-raid" in it's bios... But I don't have that particular "Generation"... Out of the 10 test servers here at home, one of mine is a HP Proliant DL380 G3... So it's a bit older.

Does your Controller card BIOS have in-BIOS configuration? I'm wondering if it has the drivers to see the logical drive in your card... as I see hardware drivers and software utilities for Suse and RedHat... And I don't know how lspci ID's that card... to check if there is a kernel driver for it...

On hard-raid, pass-through drives in setup are called "JBOD", which stands for "Just a Bunch Of Disks".

I do RAID. Mostly RAID 5 or 5EE.
    Last edited by MAFoElffen; March 10th, 2013 at 09:52 AM.
    Multi-Boot= Various flavours of Windows, Linux and Unix... Ubuntu user # 33563, Linux user # 533637
    Sticky: [all variants] Graphics Resolution- Upgrade /Blank Screen after reboot
    Boot Info Script courtesy of community member meierfra