Thread: Passwords

Beans

Passwords

Ubuntu is asking my password more often, than it's comfortable, after some reading I've seen that a lot of people thinks it would be dangerous to disable it. My question would be what are the possible risks of removing it, if I'm not doing financial things on it, I just use it for browsing my usual sites, playing and maybe programming in the future. I'm connected through a TP-LINK router and a Cisco modem, each of these have their own security solutions and I saw NOD 32 is available for Linux too.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: Passwords

There are many threads about the password , you can set it to auto log you in , but don't set the password to nothing or blank because then you would not be able to update or install anything .you need a password.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by mike555 View Post
    There are many threads about the password , you can set it to auto log you in , but don't set the password to nothing or blank because then you would not be able to update or install anything .you need a password.
    And can I disable it for starting programs?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu Development Release

Big +1

The password prompt is indeed a good indicator of the severity of your actions. Nullifying the use of a password is a security risk. While entering your password every time is cumbersome, it is possible to set the password timeout higher (add Defaults passwd_timeout=10 to /etc/sudoers using the command sudo visudo). This would dissuade intrusion, unless the attacker has physical access.
    Last edited by slickymaster; February 22nd, 2013 at 01:40 PM.

Beans

If you are starting programs such that a password is required, you are probably doing something you shouldn't be doing.

When Ubuntu asks you for a password it is because it needs to run an application as root (administrator), and this user will have full access to your data and hardware, and if the application is misbehaving - or worse yet, some kind of malware, then the application can cause a lot of harm to you and your computer. Examples include keyloggers, which can snoop up bank information, or adware.

Generally, you should be able to run applications as 'you', your user, not as root, and not have Ubuntu ask you for passwords for anything but installing packages or performing certain types of settings (such as user control).

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by zhaozhou View Post
    If you are starting programs such that a password is required, you are probably doing something you shouldn't be doing.

When Ubuntu asks you for a password it is because it needs to run an application as root (administrator), and this user will have full access to your data and hardware, and if the application is misbehaving - or worse yet, some kind of malware, then the application can cause a lot of harm to you and your computer. Examples include keyloggers, which can snoop up bank information, or adware.

Generally, you should be able to run applications as 'you', your user, not as root, and not have Ubuntu ask you for passwords for anything but installing packages or performing certain types of settings (such as user control).
    Initially it was a lot, because I was installing a lot, but now it still asks for password, when I open a browser, or some other programs.

Beans
    Distro

Hi

Quote Originally Posted by Matt92HUN View Post
    Initially it was a lot, because I was installing a lot, but now it still asks for password, when I open a browser, or some other programs.
    Then it sounds like you have a problem with your setup as it should not ask for a password when opening a browser.

What browser do you use ?

Kind regards
    If you believe everything you read, you better not read. ~ Japanese Proverb

If you don't read the newspaper, you're uninformed. If you read the newspaper, you're mis-informed. - Mark Twain

Thinking about becoming an Ubuntu Member?

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by Matt92HUN View Post
    Maybe something is wrong. Ubuntu does not ask for password, when I open a file browser, unless I would open it with
    Code:
    gksudo nautilus
    because I want to to some system task. But I do my system tasks with terminal window commands, so I hardly ever start the file browser with root privileges.

If your internet browser asks for password, you might be owned. I would never do that (connect to the internet with root privileges).
    Last edited by sudodus; February 24th, 2013 at 11:35 AM. Reason: typing error

Beans
    Distro

Sounds like it is asking password for your password remembering program keyring , you can set it to a blank password if you want .....

Beans
    Distro

Hi

Sounds like it is asking password for your password remembering program keyring , you can set it to a blank password if you want .....
    Good call. That could well be it.

Kind regards
    If you believe everything you read, you better not read. ~ Japanese Proverb

If you don't read the newspaper, you're uninformed. If you read the newspaper, you're mis-informed. - Mark Twain

Thinking about becoming an Ubuntu Member?