Thread: This audio ain't worth Jack.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Unhappy This audio ain't worth Jack.

So, I've been trying for about a week now to fix a pulseaudio/jack disagreement in 12.10. I hardly know anything about Ubuntu, so any explanation of a potential fix goes right over my head.

Here's an example of my problem:

Say I'm watching a youtube video tutorial about Ardour. When I start Ardour, the audio from the video disappears. Not just that, but all audio except audio from Ardour. I can exit out of Ardour, and stop Jack with qjackctl, but the audio still won't play until I reboot.

This is terribly inconvenient, and if I can't resolve it soon, I'll probably just go back to Windows. I like Ubuntu well enough, but it doesn't really make sense to me how this problem even exists. How can I fix this?
    Last edited by mwynko; February 22nd, 2013 at 10:53 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: This audio ain't worth Jack.

I'm not sure because I don't have Jack installed at the moment.(and I'm a Jack noob!)
    Can you use Jack to patch the capture to both the input of Ardour and directly to the system outputs?
    I took me a while to figure out that you need to create a new connection with an alias in qjackctrl to do this sort of thing.
    Hopefully some sound guru will come along and help you out.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I've figured some of it out. The problem is that Pulseaudio and Jack really don't get along. It's like Jack slept with Pulseaudio's sister and never called her back, and now they're both at a mutual friend's house for a party but they're not talking and making everyone else uncomfortable, so there's just this big awkward silence. That awkward silence is now my laptop.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Except for the slightly nsfw allusion, your analogy is pretty good.
    I don't use Jack- I've had best experience with Pulseaudio or alsa. Install pavucontrol and mess around with it.