Thread: 12.04 using start up disk creator

Beans

12.04 using start up disk creator

hi, following this link : http://www.pendrivelinux.com/creatin...e-usb-from-cd/

i created a usb stick ubuntu 12.04 .

it says in the article that i could have a persistent live usb persistent ubuntu OS.

after i done it, it still gives me a choice between installing the OS ubuntu 12.04 or to try it.

i was under the impression that i could use this has a regular portable OS.

should i install it now or i just use the try it option and the difference between a live cd is that any change i made will be registered, meaning i do not need to choose the installed option ?

ty

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: 12.04 using start up disk creator

from link:
    Ubuntu's Casper Persistent feature can also be used for saving and restoring changes on subsequent boots.
    it means it is a regular ubuntu install USB disk with added features that lets you save conf and files done in a prev boot . That's why it tells you it is better to use a disk bigger or at least 4GB. Seelect try and save something on the Desktop folder or your home dir and reboot again. Is it still there or it's lost?

blog
    Donations BTC : 12FwoB7uAM5FnweykpR1AEEDVFaTLTYFkS
    DOUBLEPLUSGOOD!!

Beans

k ty ill try it.

but what is sad tho, casper only can accpet 4gig while my usb key is 16

kinda lost all that space tho right

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by MontrealCorp View Post
    k ty ill try it.

but what is sad tho, casper only can accpet 4gig while my usb key is 16

kinda lost all that space tho right
    no because you can use the remaing space . you can reformat it and mount it automatically (you have to configure it)so you have space adde to it.

blog
    DOUBLEPLUSGOOD!!

Beans

reconfigure with what ? gparted?

will the changes be automatically be put on the extended partition ? ( unless i delete the 4 gig and reformat it to 15g ( i should left like 1g for thre ubuntu i guess ? but seem i would end up with 2 partition, just dunno how ubuntu would recognise it tho to put changes on it.

anyway ill try
    ty
    Last edited by MontrealCorp; February 22nd, 2013 at 08:49 AM.

Beans
    Distro

you can format the unloccated part with gparted and configure the auto mount at boot time to a spec folder of you syste with the edit of /etc/fstab (i think but i am not sure since this is a live disk the folders may be in a different order)

blog
    DOUBLEPLUSGOOD!!

Beans

well now u lost me lol...

anyway after i start gparted i try to resize the usb stick but i could not bring it down below the 4 GIG ( the max i allocated in the first place ) and it said i had 10gigs over.

i guess that 10gigs would not have be used because it was not in the 4gigs i allocated at the start right ?

so i resize the usb stick to 4 gigs and did a new partition from the unallocated of around 11 Gigs..

now i have 2 partition one of 4gigs and one of 10 gigs.

maybe i should of just made the first partition at the start at 1gigs and then use gparted to reize the rest and have a bigger secondary partition, i just dunno how it will proceed correctly on using both partition....

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Do not forget that some of the so called unallocated space is the place where newly installed applications will be located.
    It is a machine. It is more stupid than we are. It will not stop us from doing stupid things.
    Ubuntu user #33,200. Linux user #530,530

Beans

well i do have problems and it is not going well

purpose: i want a usb stick with persistent live Ubuntu 12.04 on it.

so i might need some advice on the best route to take using those 2 links , if both have merits on doing it .

1st step : http://www.pendrivelinux.com/creatin...e-usb-from-cd/

this is done with a 16Gig usb stick

for this step i can choose the option of reserved extra space to 1 Gigs up to 4 Gigs.

with a usb stick of 4 Gigs and below i should obviously choose to 4Gigs but with my usb of 16G i am not sure what is better, to leave it at 1 Gigs ( so enough to put the Ubuntu live on it) and after, using the second link :

http://www.pendrivelinux.com/create-...per-partition/

use the rest of usb stick of around 14Gigs and just follow the second link to reformat it.

or should i simple do what the guide says in the first link , to put the max first on the first partition up to 4 gigs and follow with the second link with the 10Gigs left and try resize the first partition like they do ?

the problem i encounter this way is i cannot , with the second link , shrink my first partition below 4Gigs .

this is why i ask if it was better to simply not use in the first link the reserve space for persistence if i will use anyway the second link to configure the unused space to the max possible?

ty

ps: after posting i still kept reading and maybe this link is even better : http://www.pendrivelinux.com/how-to-...-rw-loop-file/ ?
    tho i am not sure if the second link i posted was a casper-rw loop or not ?
    if this thrid link is better i might return to the trial of the first link , put the max at 4 and try the 3rd link if u think it is better ?
    ty
    Last edited by MontrealCorp; February 22nd, 2013 at 07:01 PM.

Beans

well unfortunately it does not work because it says no space available, so it seem with using link 2, Ubuntu cannot read the second partition or do not "think" to use the second partition to put the updates over there

as well when i go see the usb key, i see the second partition called casper-rw i did in the second link with a folder named lost+found , unfortunately, it says i do not have the permissions necessary to open it

guess i need try the 3rd link i put in my post up there...
    Last edited by MontrealCorp; February 22nd, 2013 at 08:38 PM.