Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Just want full root access for everything chown makes no sense :(

Beans

Angry Just want full root access for everything chown makes no sense :(

I've been trying to wrap my head around chmod/chown (both for those wondering) for hours now with no luck...

All I want is to be allowed to change my files permissions so I can run executables with WINE and delete the virus after it nested in my .Trash-999 folder.

What is the terminal command line to unlock my system? Completely. I want to own the directory and ALL sub folders, files, directories, and others. I want to be able to read and write the whole directory along with ALL sub folders, files, directories, and others.

I'm sick and tired of being told I can't have access to my own system, I've been searching these forums and google and I'm just so frustrated.

I want to unlock everything now, I want to be root, direct access, I'm tired of sudo not working and tired of changing things in GUI mode that automatically change back the moment I move my mouse. AHHHHHHH! Frustration..

Beans

Re: Just want full root access for everything chown makes no sense :(

as for terminal
    sudo su
    and for file manager
    sudo Nautilus

shud let you fix things

squakie is offline I Ubuntu, Therefore, I Am
    Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

And anyone who may be tempted, do *NOT* instructions on enabling root in this forum - this is against forum policy.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Running sudo -i in the terminal will give root for the duration the terminal is open or you exit the command with, exit. Any thing you do while running this way will be done as root-level.

Whatever you do, do not change system file owner and or permissions ( outside of setting them to execute or not) to any of the system folders and or files. (/, /usr, /etc, etc etc etc)
    Doing so can make the system unusable.

But anyway, files for wine are sitting in your home directory so you don't need root to change them. Open the file manager nautilus and ctrl +h to view hidden folders and then look for the wine directory and right click the file you want to change and dropdown to properties and from there change the permissions.

Also this:
    Code:
    chmod +x path-to-wine-file
    This will make the wine program executable.

Anyway what is the trash-999 file. Why not simply delete it?
    If it's a virus chances are it will have no effect on Ubuntu.
    And by chance I mean over 99% chance it will have no effect.
    Last edited by deadflowr; February 22nd, 2013 at 03:54 AM.
    Splat Double Splat Triple Splat
    Earn Your Keep
    Don't mind me, I'm only passing through.
    Once in a blue moon, I'm actually helpful

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by the_jlx View Post
    as for terminal
    sudo su
    and for file manager
    sudo Nautilus

shud let you fix things
    As explained here, gksudo is usually preferable for nautilus
    Forum DOs and DON'Ts
    Please use CODE tags
    Including your email address in a post is not recommended
    My Blog

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

this will explain how to enable root:
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/RootSudo

however read all of it, and better ways to do things

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by squakie View Post
    And anyone who may be tempted, do *NOT* instructions on enabling root in this forum - this is against forum policy.
    This is mostly right. However we give sudo instructions which enable root use.
    To clarify, it is against forum rules, highly discouraged and just plain stupid to give instructions on how to set your system to run openly as root, from login to log out.
    Splat Double Splat Triple Splat
    Earn Your Keep
    Don't mind me, I'm only passing through.
    Once in a blue moon, I'm actually helpful

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by Visrite View Post
    All I want is to be allowed to change my files permissions so I can run executables with WINE and delete the virus after it nested in my .Trash-999 folder.
    If your goal is to play around with Windows viruses, and if you are trying to figure out how to do this while having / running as root, I'd recommend installing virtual box, installing a windows on it, taking a snapshot of it clean, then playing with .... whatever it is you are playing with.

Once you've completely borked your system to your total satisfaction, revert to clean snapshot and try again.

squakie is offline I Ubuntu, Therefore, I Am
    Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by deadflowr View Post
    This is mostly right. However we give sudo instructions which enable root use.
    To clarify, it is against forum rules, highly discouraged and just plain stupid to give instructions on how to set your system to run openly as root, from login to log out.
    Sorry about that - I should have been more specific and said it's against policy to post instructions on giving root login.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

The last thing I want to do here is make you feel like we are piling on, but someone's gotta say it:

While your frustration is completely understandable, and we all have the greatest sympathy, the first thought that occurs to most of us is that you want to fix a rattling engine by driving your car (and yourself) off a cliff.

If you do have a virus nested in your system through WINE, then it got there precisely because Windows programs are built to demand system privileges to function and Windows idiotically gives it to them. You are now asking for instructions to totally hose your Ubuntu security and bring it down to a Windows level so that you can deal with a virus that exists only because Windows starts out with a hosed security model. That reasoning just blows my mind.

You are looking at Linux restrictions as impediments. In fact, they are the very safeguards that make it tough for nasties like the virus you are currently dealing with to infect Linux systems. If you find it difficult to chown and chmod, to say nothing of gaining root privileges, then a piece of dumb malicious code certainly won't be able to do it. And this is the very safeguard that you now want to dismantle.

The members of this forum are happy to help you deal with whatever problems you are having. Deleting whatever is in an infected directory is not really that difficult. But, speaking only for myself, I've resolved not to give instructions that dismantle the Linux security model. The last thing we need as a Linux community is security that's as lousy as Windows'.

Re: virus in directory. You can delete the whole directory with:
    Code:
    sudo rm -rf /path_to_directory/.Trash-999
    Re: More powerfully, hit <Alt>+<F2> to bring up the run application dialogue box. Doing:
    Code:
    gksudo nautilus
    will invoke nautilus in root mode and let you delete every directory in creation, from root on downwards if you so wish. Want to delete hidden directories too? Just <Ctrl>+<h> to unhide them. Now you can go to town on those too.

No one is telling you that you can't have access to your own system. The two simple commands above give you all the access you could wish for. The irony is that Linux is actually the system that lets you do anything you want. If anyone is denying you access to your own system, it's the proprietary OSes who won't let you change a shred of their code (but that's another discussion for another day).

It is much more accurate to say that Ubuntu puts safeguards in place to prevent people from doing dangerous and stupid things to their system and to their data. chown and chmod are part of a system that prevents baddies from looking at your private files. sudo is designed to make you pause before inadvertently deleting your whole installation (as I did when I first started in Linux and harboured exactly the same misconceptions that you now have). If you work with these features rather than fight against them, you will find that they repay your time and effort with advantages you never dreamed of. And the members of this forum are more than willing to help you get there.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast