Thread: Creating Games Recommendations

Beans

Creating Games Recommendations

First to give some background on myself. I have a heavy background of Java application development, both client-side and web apps, and I have a little experience with Python.

I'd like to tinker around with creating games, and I'm looking for some recommendations on how to go about doing that. I know there are some Java libraries along these lines (Java2D comes to mind) but the packaging and distribution of Java games seems a little messy and doesn't seem to integrate into the platform being used very well. However I know that with the advent of Android, Java programming has gained more importance.

Whatever games I make I'd like for the focus to be on Linux, but it'd be nice if they were cross-platform too. Any recommendations or guidance on a language or software package or anything?
    Last edited by Gannin; February 22nd, 2013 at 12:40 AM.

Beans

Re: Creating Games Recommendations

Quote Originally Posted by Gannin View Post
    First to give some background on myself. I have a heavy background of Java application development, both client-side and web apps, and I have a little experience with Python.

I'd like to tinker around with creating games, and I'm looking for some recommendations on how to go about doing that. I know there are some Java libraries along these lines (Java2D comes to mind) but the packaging and distribution of Java games seems a little messy and doesn't seem to integrate into the platform being used very well. However I know that with the advent of Android, Java programming has gained more importance.

Whatever games I make I'd like for the focus to be on Linux, but it'd be nice if they were cross-platform too. Any recommendations or guidance on a language or software package or anything?
    If you're used to java, I'd say stick with java and write a game using that. Just google around for open source game engines/libraries or at least graphics libraries.

Beans

Minecraft uses LWJGL and aside from the sticky keys bug related to Mojang's stubborn reluctance to upgrade the library, it's always worked great for me on both platforms. They also seem to have found a workable solution to the packaging issue -- not great for a multi-user system perhaps, but quite reasonable. I wouldn't worry too much about that aspect though.

However, I'm not much of a game developer, so I can't make any real recommendation.

Beans

Also see www.gamedev.net

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Lubuntu Development Release

If you need physics, pybox2d has always worked nicely for me.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Developing games with Python and PyGame lib is quite easy and thanks to Python's dynamic nature you don't need to plan design through, you can easily change things on fly. Although, if you're more familiar with Java, it may be better to stick with it. Primary advantage of Java is it's availability. You're more likely to find Java on windows machine than Python (also from my experience, not all users want to install Python for different reasons, such as "yet another installed program will slow down my PC", but they have Java installed and may even be not aware of that, so running Java apps for typical windows user may be totally seamless), and it's best choice for Android (I was disappointed with Python port for Android).
    Last edited by NilPointer; February 23rd, 2013 at 04:12 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

If you already know Java, I don't think it will be hard for you to use C#. Have a look at MonoGame which is an open-source implementation of Microsoft XNA framework, based on the Mono project.