Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: imac g3 tried many xorg.conf configs... any more ideas?

rsavage is offline Iced Almond Soy Ubuntu, No Foam
    Beans

Re: imac g3 tried many xorg.conf configs... any more ideas?

This http://mac.linux.be/files/xorg/imac7.txt is the xorg.conf that mintppc9 users have with your machine. It should be the same as what I've given you. I've been assuming that those modelines that are listed shouldn't be used because they don't have the same name as those used in the screen section. If you want to check then download the file to your imac G3 with the wget command.

Beans

Same hardware except no WiFi on 12.04.
    Been a while but based on my last here: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...952306&page=2& I believe "Option UseFBDev False" will cause a failure. I don't think the NoInt 10 is necessary either.

I would try exactly as rsavage noted xorg.conf without those two lines.

You can also try it with the driver fbdev **This is not the same thing as the "Option UseFBDev."

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu

so glad you are all still trying to help. Saturday is the day coming up and My goal is to get it x running. I will let you all know how it works out... i believe i tried to load the fbdev driver but maybe it was video=fbdevnly...

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu

I'm Back! after a hiatus I was able to get x running! However... i only had the top 50% of the monitor operational. the lower half was black and the bottom of screen and task bar was half way. I have changed many settings in xorg.conf

i used
    Code:
    cvt 1024 768
    and it gave me the modeline to use in my xorg.conf. so i put that mode line in and now all i see is the top 50% of screen works.

first of all:
    I have to boot into lubuntu with the following yaboot parameters:
    Code:
    aty128fb.modeset=0 video=aty128fb:1024x768-16@60 single
    Then i got root@lubuntu~$

start lightdm gives me black screen from which there is no return. so i skip that, i sudo nano my xorg.conf and edit stuff...
    then when i started x with the corrected -hsync +vsync in the modeline... i logged out, restarted and got to lubuntu login, again on top 50% of the screen. Except now, i type my password, and click login... and nothing is happening.

I was able to use lubuntu with xfce and it was nice. color was ok. but only half the screen. I couldnt find a network signal so i couldnt send my log files to this forum.

Any more ideas guys??? This is killing me, i dropped $85 on this cpu because i had this stupid idea that lubuntu would be a peice of cake, but i need to solve this graphics issue so i can continue to move on to printers, network, scanners, update to 12.10 after thats all said and done. or maybe not.

Thanks for all the help so far and any tips would be great! Any links to apple moitor specs would be nice, having trouble finding this stuff.

edit: also, i should probably ask if there is a way to permanently add boot parameters to yaboot so i can just start up the system and not have to jump at the keyboard the last second haha
    Last edited by imacg3ppc; April 17th, 2013 at 05:01 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12