Thread: Can't get YouTube browser plugin working in Movie Player (totem) in 12.10

Beans

Can't get YouTube browser plugin working in Movie Player (totem) in 12.10

ubuntu 12.10
    totem 3.4.3

I've read in a bunch of places online that Ubuntu's default movie player, totem, has a plugin to browse YouTube videos. Here's one example post: http://www.clickonf5.org/7557/watch-...-media-player/

I think the newer version of totem doesn't include the YouTube browser by default, so I'm trying to add the plugin. I downloaded the plugin files and put them in /usr/lib/totem/plugins as I was supposed to...
    Code:
    adam@poseidon:/usr/lib/totem/plugins/youtubeh264$ ll
    total 28K
    -rw-r--r-- 1 adam adam 5.2K Mar 28  2008 youtubeh264.plugin
    -rw-r--r-- 1 adam adam 8.8K Mar 28  2008 youtubeh264.py
    -rw-r--r-- 1 adam adam 4.7K Mar 27  2008 youtubeh264.ui
    adam@poseidon:/usr/lib/totem/plugins/youtubeh264$
    ...but the plugin still won't show up in the totem plugin options area.
    I launched totem via command-line and got some errors:
    Code:
    adam@poseidon:~$ totem

(totem:30894): Gdk-CRITICAL **: gdk_error_trap_pop_internal: assertion `trap != NULL' failed

(totem:30894): libpeas-WARNING **: Could not find 'Module' in '/usr/lib/totem/plugins/youtubeh264/youtubeh264.plugin'

(totem:30894): libpeas-WARNING **: Error loading '/usr/lib/totem/plugins/youtubeh264/youtubeh264.plugin'
    adam@poseidon:~$
    Granted, the plugin I downloaded is probably the version for pre-12.04 versions of Ubuntu and/or previous versions of totem.

1. Does anyone have totem's YouTube browser plugin working on 12.04 or 12.10?
    2. Any ideas why I'm getting those errors?

Beans

Re: Can't get YouTube browser plugin working in Movie Player (totem) in 12.10

where did you get the plugin from??

totem 3.4.x can get youtube thru a grilo plugin but you'd need to either build totem with grilo support or find a ppa that does that.
    (I believe there may be a grilo ppa that has totem builds.

screen shows totem with grilo

There is also minitube (ver.2 now around) or smplayer's youtube player
    Attached Images Attached Images

Beans

Re: Can't get YouTube browser plugin working in Movie Player (totem) in 12.10

I got the plugin from a link to one of the posts I found about totem's YouTube plugin. I noticed links in some of the other posts and all links went to the same source so I'm sure its the only place to get the YouTube plugin files.
    I don't feel like re-building totem if necessary. I've used minitube, and it works well enough, I just wanted to get totem's plugin working to have one less package installed on my system. Guess I'll stick with minitube.
    Thanks for info mc4man.